Bath, UK showing of CC

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Crash's picture
Crash
Bath, UK showing of CC

I am hosting a viewing of the Crash Course in Bath in January as part of the Transition Towns Bath (Weston area) film festival.

The viewing will be at 7PM on Jan 26th at the Minerva Centre, 8 Combe Park, all welcome,

Other films showing all same time and place:

12th Jan: Age Of Stupid

19th Jan: Money as Debt

26th Jan: The Crash Course (part 1)

2nd Feb: Power of Community

9th Feb: The Story of Stuff + Robert Newman's History of Oil

16th Feb: Hawaii - Message in the Waves.

peace and love

Brendan X

logBurner's picture
logBurner
Re: Bath, UK showing of CC

Nice choice of movies there!

Can I suggest the Home movie:

http://www.home-2009.com/us/index.html

I saw it when released and it was stated that it is free to use, make money, etc etc all royalty free.

I may see you in Bath.

Thanks

Crash's picture
Crash

HI LogBurner,

Thanks for you post, I will watch Home as soon as I get the chance. It would be great to see you in Bath if you can make it, where are you based?

Brendan X

Crash's picture
Crash

Hi all,

The Transition Towns Bath (Weston) eco-film festival runs each Tuesday evening from January 12th until February 16th and is being held at the Minerva Centre, 8 Combe Park, Lower Weston (near the RUH).

Each week’s viewing is FREE with screen time at 7.30. An informal discussion around the issues raised will follow each film. Refreshments are also available at a small cost.

You are warmly welcomed to attend any or all of the films being shown. No booking is required.
Any queries, please feel free to ring Chris on 01225 481184.

12th January: *Age of Stupid*, Franny Armstrong’s look at the world of 2008 from the vantage point of 2055, and asking “why didn’t we stop climate change when we had a chance”. It’s won huge critical acclaim and here is your chance to view it. Passionate, urgent and punchy, a rough-and-ready film on the most screamingly important problem we now face. Pete Postlethwaite plays the last guy alive looking at archive material that shows how we ignored the environmental warning signs and wonders how we could have been so stupid.
90 minutes (12A)

19th January: *Money as Debt*, Where does money come from? This is the animated story of money's origin in an economy totally dependent on debt. The story starts in antiquity, and moves through mediaeval times to our modern system. Shocking and revealing, and the truth is out there - as an open secret. LETS is a great solution.
50 Minutes.

26th January: *The Crash Course*, (Part 1), A concise video seminar on the interaction between our economy, energy systems and the environment and how they will impact our future. It is information we cannot afford to live without. This evening we will be holding a viewing of the first part of the courwse followed by one of our regular discussions. (The whole course is free to view at www.PeakProsperity.com).
50 minutes.

2nd Febuary: *Power of Community - How Cuba survived Peak Oil*, Cuba is the only country that has faced the crisis of a massive reduction of fossil fuels. This is the story of how they coped. The sustainable, low-energy solutions they found are a lesson and inspiration for us all as we start our 'transition'.
52 minutes.

9th February: *The Story of Stuff* AND *Robert Newman's History of Oil*

The Story of Stuff: A fast-paced, fact-filled look at our production, consumption and disposal patterns. When we find something unbelievably cheap in the shops who is paying the real price? Learn and laugh, change the way you look at your stuff.
20 minutes.

Robert Newman's History of Oil: Anarchic, insightful, very funny. A one man show of stand-up and sketches on the history of oil, politics and war from WW1 to the invasion of Iraq 2003. All lit by pedal power of course!
45 Minutes.

16th February: *Hawaii - Message in the Waves*, Turtles, dolphins, seals and albatrosses have to cope with not only a growing number of people using the beaches but also all the washed up plastic - like bottle tops and those little bits from cereal packets.
50 minutes.

bumblebee23's picture
bumblebee23

Hi Brendan

Sorry that I couldn't come to the showing of the Crash Course at the Minerva Centre, but I have watched it online and have recommended it to seven people so far.  Thank you so much for promoting it, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.  It has helped me to start making changes, I sent in my BathLets application today.  Keep up the good work.  Many thanks, Jan x

Crash's picture
Crash

Great,

Cheers, Jan. I hope we process your application swiftly. Has Alison contated you yet? have you sent in your money - £5 benefits, £10 waged.

big hugs,

Brendan X

Crash's picture
Crash

Oh, and we have agreed with Elizabeth at the Minerva Centre that we are showing Crash Course Part 2 on Tuesday 9th March and Crash course Part 3 on Tuesday 16th March.

Come along and join in the discussions.

Crash's picture
Crash

Hi everyone,

We have got confirmation of the projector and the venue for the showing of CC Parts 2 and 3.

Both to be shown at the Minerva Centre, 8 Combe  Park, Bath, doors at 7:15 for 7:30 start. Entry Free, refreshements available for a donation.

I will also hope to be selling the CC DVDs copied from the original for £5.

Part 2: 9th March

Part 3: 16th March

Please come along if you can. Watching the CC is one thing, getting together with people to talk about it takes it to a whole new level.

bets wishes,

Brendan

drbubb's picture
drbubb

SOME COMMENTS from people who attended Dr. Martenson's presentation in London:

http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showtopic=9294

(this is from my website, GEI)

Crash's picture
Crash
drbubb wrote:

COMMENTS

Thanks drbubb. Of the back of these showing here in Bath and in conjunction with transition towns, we have started an economy group. I hope to promote the CC, promote the BathLETS, educate people and advise other groups and organisations,

Thanks for your contribution. Interesting that the people that saw Chris said "not much new info". It is interesting to see people's reactions the first time they come across this info. After that we must just act. Chris has done the best presentation of this material that I have seen, spent 5 years or more researching and condensing it for the world. We just gotta absorb it and let it inform our actions now. Chris isn't going to have many answers to our questions because he doesn't live in our town. Only the people we live with/near will be really able to help us form our future.

Thanks again,

Brendan

Crash's picture
Crash
logBurner wrote:

Can I suggest the Home movie:

Hi Logburner,

Finally got round to watching Home. Good stuff. A little depressing, don't think it went far enough on positive solutions. Nice photography though. Reminded me a bit of the Kayaanisqatsi trilogy which is beautiful. I have recommended Home (and the Qatsi trilogy) for our next batch of films.

cheers,

Brendan x

drbubb's picture
drbubb

Interesting that the people that saw Chris said "not much new info".

His arguments are pretty well known on GEI.  Afterall, the impetus for starting "GreeEnergyInvestors" was precisely to get people to thinking about "A World after Oil", and living without cars.

I too was impressed by the clarity of his presentation, and the purity of his efforts.  He's also "living the life" of a post peak oil pioneer.

If there's anyway that GEI can help your efforts in Bath, let me know. Something like 75/80% of our active members are in the UK (although personally, I live in Hong Kong.)

Silent Reader's picture
Silent Reader

Hi Crash/Brendan

If all goes well I hope to be able to attend the Bath CC event on the 16th as I'll be around the area, (Really I just want to buy a DVD - lol) but it would be good to get some advice from those who have been involved and experienced in what we are facing when discussing this issue with those who are new to the concept of “Peak Oil” and I’m looking forward to seeing first hand what’s going on in other "Transition Towns"

All the best, and I hope the event goes well for you.

SR

Crash's picture
Crash
drbubb wrote:

anyway that GEI can help your efforts in Bath, let me know.

There are a couple fo things going on in Bath which may be of interest to GEI people, off the top of my head, they are trying to build a hydro-electric mini-generator on one of the wiers in Bath, that sounds like something that may be up GEI people's streets. I have a friend who is trying to get a wind-generation unit going on Bathford. I will tell him about GEI. Thanks X

Crash's picture
Crash
Silent Reader wrote:

If all goes well I hope to be able to attend the Bath CC event on the 16th as I'll be around the area, (Really I just want to buy a DVD - lol) SR

Thanks SR, it great to get some encouragement. Hopefully I'll see you on the 16th. The DVDs are pretty basic, but I might have time to print some art-work for them by the 16th. I'll be selling them for £3 or £4 for the set.

cheers,

Brendan

Silent Reader's picture
Silent Reader
Crash wrote:

Thanks SR, it great to get some encouragement. Hopefully I'll see you on the 16th. The DVDs are pretty basic, but I might have time to print some art-work for them by the 16th. I'll be selling them for £3 or £4 for the set.

cheers,

Brendan

Looks like I'll be there, don't worry about packaging etc, I just need a decent copy of the DVD as I'll be intending to show it on a projector hopefully in my community hall if all goes well, also if you have any other films that will assist in getting the message across, please feel free to have these available as well.

I tried downloading some of these films but the PC I normally use isn't really the best machine to be doing things like this on.

Obviously, I'll be happy to compensate you accordingly.

Look out for the thuggish looking fella standing at the back, chances are that it will be me ;)

All the best,

SR

bumblebee23's picture
bumblebee23

Hi Brendan

Thank you for organising the showing of CC part 3 tonight.  It was really good to discuss it with others - a positive first step towards building a community of people who want to do something.  Good group of people attended.  I hope that I can get involved with the Transition economy group in the future.

All the best,

Jan x

Crash's picture
Crash
Silent Reader wrote:

Look out for the thuggish looking fella standing at the back

Thanks for not beating me up!! lol! No, it was really nice to meet you, and thanks for coming all that way, I'll PM you that stuff now.

peace

Brendan

Crash's picture
Crash
bumblebee23 wrote:

I hope that I can get involved with the Transition economy group in the future.

Lovely to see you as always, Jan, I will put your email address on our correspondance list for the Transition Bath economy group

peace

Brendan

Silent Reader's picture
Silent Reader

Thanks Brendan, It was great to meet you and the other members in your group. it was nice to see such a varied group of people, and I actually gained a fair bit from the evening which is always a positive.

Thanks also for those links, I'll start going through them :)

All the VERY best, and hope to meet up again in the future.

SR

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments