22 posts / 0 new
Last post
jneo's picture
jneo
littleone's picture
littleone
Re: Automation is Here

JK121,

I admit to being freaked out by "RoboCop-like" or fighter robots.  Automation in general makes me think of these profound lyrics:

Megadeth - Mastermind Lyrics

Anonymous existence, rendered useless to mankind
Destroy the logic volume in the confines of the mind
Enmassed and purposeless, marching in a perfect line
Neo-neuro torture, mental meltdown, a heinous crime

Mastermind, I tell you what to think
Mastermind, I tell you what you need
Mastermind, I tell you what to feel
Mastermind

Invade the core of souls to wipe the lives away
Design vacant beings, welcome the inhuman race
Encrypted horror codes, directive psyche overwrite
Processing brains to pabulum, delete, format living drives

Mastermind, I tell you what to think
Mastermind, I tell you what you need
Mastermind, I tell you what to feel
Mastermind, I tell you what's real

[ Megadeth Lyrics are found on www.songlyrics.com ]
Hail to the power age, lest the viral hour comes
Raise the flag of voltage, bow to circuitry unknown
Kneel before the processor, lords of static laugh
Electrons in submission, you must know who I am

I tell you what to think
I don't care what you thought
I tell you what to get
I don't care what you got

I tell you what to think
I don't care what you thought
I tell you what to get
Mastermind
Mastermind
Mastermind
Mastermind

listen to Mastermind here

-littleone

littleone's picture
littleone

The Ethical Governor!Surprised

right after 710: 

...We believe Ethical Technologies can relieve decision making and its attendant stresses on the modern battle-space.

Technology + Morality

Morality is mere self-suggestion...based on personal values and belief systems. 

-littleone

jneo's picture
jneo

Yup, the downside of technology.  

littleone's picture
littleone

I want to comment on the possibilities and the current perception of tech automation and AI.

I think many people want to see technology work in service of men, like TVP, and most people would program robots to do no harm to humans.

Here are a few examples of machines automated with AI that were not in the intro video series:

The Pentagon's Robots: Arming The Future

Published on December 19, 2007 by James Carafano, Ph.D. and Andrew Gudgel

The Next Generation

Autonomous robots are closer to real combat capa­bilities. The Army will soon field the Mobile Detection Assessment Response System (MDARS), a semi-autonomous security-guard robot. This nine-foot, 3,500-pound robot can travel up to 20 miles per hour using inertial and satellite navigation and can scan the sur­rounding environment with radar and infrared beams. Using its on-board sensors, MDARS will able to con­duct independent patrol or sentry duty, avoiding obsta­cles and detecting intruders up to 300 meters away.[20]

The Army is also developing the semi-autono­mous Multifunctional Utility Logistics and Equip­ment (MULE) vehicle, a six-wheeled, 20-foot robot that can autonomously traverse rugged terrain, car­rying 1,900 pounds of equipment.[21] MULEs will perform convoy operations and support ground assaults. Currently, one-fourth of the planned sys­tems for FCS will be robotic, including both remotely piloted air and ground vehicles.[22]

The Navy recently tested two UUVs as part of the Long Term Mine Reconnaissance System. Sub­merged submarines launched and recovered the vehicles through their torpedo tubes.[23] MANTA, a proposed underwater system, would detach itself from a submarine's hull and be able to deploy torpe­does or small UUVs. These remote robots and weapons could extend a submarine's range into shallow waters that the boats cannot traverse.[24] ...

resource links from quote:

[20]Kris Osborn, "Army Set to Field Autonomous Security-Guard Robot at Bases," Marine Corps Times, July 16, 2007.

[21]Kris Osborn, "Multitask MULE: Semi-Autonomous Robot Moves, Fights, Transports with Troops," Defense News, April 30, 2007.

[22]U.S. Army, "Future Combat Systems," Web site, September 19, 2005, at www.army.mil/fcs/index.html(October 17, 2007).

[23]Mark O. Piggott, "USS Scranton Completes Successful UUV Test," Navy Newsstand, March 9, 2006, at www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=22618(June 26, 2006).

[24]Edward C. Whitman, "Unmanned Underwater Vehicles: Beneath the Wave of the Future," Undersea Warfare, Vol. 4, Issue 3 (Summer 2002), at www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/usw/issue_15/wave.html (June 26, 2006).

Read the third paragraph:

Pentagon exploring robot killers that can fire on their own

By Robert S. Boyd | McClatchy Newspapers

Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

quote:

The Defense Department is financing studies of autonomous, or self-governing, armed robots that could find and destroy targets on their own. On-board computer programs, not flesh-and-blood people, would decide whether to fire their weapons.

"The trend is clear: Warfare will continue and autonomous robots will ultimately be deployed in its conduct," Ronald Arkin, a robotics expert at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, wrote in a study commissioned by the Army.

"The pressure of an increasing battlefield tempo is forcing autonomy further and further toward the point of robots making that final, lethal decision," he predicted. "The time available to make the decision to shoot or not to shoot is becoming too short for remote humans to make intelligent informed decisions." ...

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/03/25/64779/pentagon-exploring-robot-killers.html##ixzz1EEYSMqxd

Beyond Surveillance: Darpa Wants a Thinking Camera

By Spencer Ackerman

January 5, 2011  |  5:01 pm  | Categories: DarpaWatch

quote:

Darpa announced yesterday that it’s moving forward in earnest with a program to endow cameras with “visual intelligence.” That’s the ability to process information from visual cues, contextualize its significance, and learn what other visual data is necessary to answer some pre-existing question. Visual-intelligence algorithms are already out there. They can read license plates in traffic or recognized faces (in limited, brighly-lit circumstances). But the programs are still relatively dumb; they simply help collate data that analysts have to go through. Darpa’s program, called Mind’s Eye, seeks to get humans out of the picture. If it works, it could change the world of surveillance overnight.

So Darpa wants to push artificial intelligence forward in a big way. It envisions its research teams making “novel contributions in visual event learning, new spatiotemporal representations, machine-generated envisionment, visual inspection and grounding of visual concepts.” All that will spot “operationally significant activity and report on that activity so warfighters can focus on important events in a timely manner.” If you’re an imagery-data jockey, you might be free to see a ballgame sometime. ...

Thoughtful responses appreciated.

-littleone

jneo's picture
jneo

Yeah the downside of Technology is a ruff patch.  But I will say I do like WATSON!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyXHF3PyyWo

Have you watched the JEOPARDY Challenge?  I really enjoyed it and Yes WATSON Won!!

www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/supercomputers/showArticle.jhtml?a...

and Another Great Article 

www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/science/15essay.html?_r=1

littleone's picture
littleone

jneo,

For me, AI being intelligent or thinking is a misrepresentation of the meaning of intelligence. With all the hype about WATSON, it's like people have never used an online encyclopedia. WATSON is like a giant Speak and Spell/Calculator. A library houses recorded info similarly...only the method of access differs. Everytime we put a new book in the library, do we think the library has learned something? No, but AI is more advanced, right?

from wikipedia under Artificial intelligence:

The field was founded on the claim that a central property of humans, intelligence—the sapience of Homo sapiens—can be so precisely described that it can be simulated by a machine.

Life is an intelligent mystery. Cells divide...a heart is formed and starts beating with the throb of life. The mind/body connection is a fascinating mystery of physical and emotional intelligence.

Derrick Jensen talks about how our current culture separates the body from the soul and nature. To become like a robot, people only need to use their intellect in a problem-solving way that benefits the body and cleverly(maybe not obviously) ignores the heart, soul and relationships with nature and others(often the weak and young). Many are ignorantly behaving like a humanoid/robot. IMO we need less intellectual problem-solving and more soul/heart. Can we tell the next generation that we ignored the heart 'cause their wasn't time for truth and the pain that might accompany truth...so we went with expedient exponential automation? High Frequency Trading has worked out so far, right?

Let's look at some info about the body's high frequencies of intelligence...check out the quote in bold:

Can Your Mind Heal Your Body? Can your Mental State fight your cancer? Does stress cause cancer? Can your mind heal you?

Explaining The Mind - Brain - Body Conundrum

Feel The Force

Well we also know that when a current flows - when electrons move - it generates a magnetic field around that ´moving´ electron - think of it as a force field.

We know that, at birth, the human body is made up of 50 trillion cells, each containing about 7 trillion atoms and that electrons freely pass between them. There are around 6 trillion reactions in the body every second all involving these moving electrons. So your body is a dynamic moving electro-energy force. Each organ is made of differing molecules and structures so each organ has its own particular frequency and magnetic ´force field´ around it.

*bold emphasis added

Heart Intelligence:

Science of The Heart: Exploring the Role of the Heart in Human Performance 

An Overview of Research Conducted by the Institute of HeartMath

Head-Heart Interactions

Figure 12.

The heart’s electromagnetic field--by far the most powerful rhythmic field produced by the human body--not only envelops every cell of the body but also extends out in all directions into the space around us. The cardiac field can be measured several feet away from the body by sensitive devices. Research conducted at IHM suggests that the heart’s field is an important carrier of information.

Thus, the last two studies summarized in this section explore interactions that take place between one person’s heart and another’s brain when two people touch or are in proximity. This research elucidates the intriguing finding that the electromagnetic signals generated by the heart have the capacity to affect others around us. Our data indicate that one person’s heart signal can affect another’s brainwaves, and that heart-brain synchronization can occur between two people when they interact. Finally, it appears that as individuals increase psychophysiological coherence, they become more sensitive to the subtle electromagnetic signals communicated by those around them. Taken together, these results suggest that cardioelectromagnetic communication may be a little-known source of information exchange between people, and that this exchange is influenced by our emotions.  

In considering whether or not automation or AI assists humans with work, first let us define work.

Here is a great piece from Khalil Gibran's THE PROPHET(1923):

WORK

You work that you may keep pace with the earth and the soul of the earth.

For to be idle is to become a stranger unto the seasons, and to step out of life's procession, that marches in majesty and proud submission towards the infinite.

When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the hours turns to music.

Which of you would be a reed, dumb and silent, when all else sings together in unison?

Always you have been told that work is a curse and labour a misfortune.

But I say to you that when you work you fulfil a part of earth's furthest dream, assigned to you when that dream was born,

And in keeping yourself with labour you are in truth loving life,

And to love life through labour is to be intimate with life's inmost secret.

But if you in your pain call birth an affliction and the support of the flesh a curse written upon your brow, then I answer that naught but the sweat of your brow shall wash away that which is written.

And to love life through labour is to be intimate with life's inmost secret.

But if you in your pain call birth an affliction and the support of the flesh a curse written upon your brow, then I answer that naught but the sweat of your brow shall wash away that which is written.

You have been told also life is darkness, and in your weariness you echo what was said by the weary.

And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is urge,

And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge,

And all knowledge is vain save when there is work,

And all work is empty save when there is love;

And when you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God.

And what is it to work with love?

It is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from your heart, even as if your beloved were to wear that cloth.

It is to build a house with affection, even as if your beloved were to dwell in that house.

It is to sow seeds with tenderness and reap the harvest with joy, even as if your beloved were to eat the fruit.

It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath of your own spirit,

And to know that all the blessed dead are standing about you and watching.

Often have I heard you say, as if speaking in sleep, "he who works in marble, and finds the shape of his own soul in the stone, is a nobler than he who ploughs the soil.

And he who seizes the rainbow to lay it on a cloth in the likeness of man, is more than he who makes the sandals for our feet."

But I say, not in sleep but in the over-wakefulness of noontide, that the wind speaks not more sweetly to the giant oaks than to the least of all the blades of grass;

And he alone is great who turns the voice of the wind into a song made sweeter by his own loving.

Work is love made visible.

And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy.

For if you bake bread with indifference, you bake a bitter bread that feeds but half man's hunger.

And if you grudge the crushing of the grapes, your grudge distills a poison in the wine.

And if you sing though as angels, and love not the singing, you muffle man's ears to the voices of the day and the voices of the night.

*bold emphasis added

The last bold line says alot, for me a least, about how a machine can appear to duplicate a task, like cooking, but where is the love? Love can be baked in.Tongue out

-littleone

*edit for spelling

littleone's picture
littleone
  Darpa’s Cheetah-Bot

Darpa’s Cheetah-Bot Designed to Chase Human Prey

By Adam Rawnsley February 25, 2011 1:03 pm Categories: Bizarro

DARPA scientists demand lightning on tap

'Live, my beauty! Live! Ah-hahaha! They said I was mad. Etc'

By Lewis PageGet more from this author

Posted in Physics, 21st December 2009 15:10 GMT

Military Science: Hack Stormy Skies to Lord over Lightning

By Katie Drummond December 18, 2009 8:37 am Categories: Science!

Universal ‘Rubik’s Cube’ Could Become Pentagon Shapeshifter

By Noah Shachtman June 5, 2009 12:48 pm Categories: DarpaWatch, Science!

quote:

The Programmable Matter project is five months into its second phase, which is supposed to wind up early next Spring. When they’re done, the researchers ought to “assemble four or five three-dimensional solids of a specific size and shape from a set of building blocks.”

Intel, which has done a bunch of programmable matter work on its own, is looking beyond those basic steps. Way, way beyond. The malleable stuff could one day “mimic the shape and appearance of a person or object being imaged in real time, and as the originals moved, so would their replicas,” according to their website. “These 3D models would be physical entities, not holograms. You could touch them and interact with them, just as if the originals were in the room with you. ”

-littleone

littleone's picture
littleone
Under Design: Human Blood

Under Design: Human Blood Circuitry For Cyborgs

Simplifying cyborg circuitry using human blood

Posted: March 31, 2011
11:00 am Eastern
RaidersNewsUpdate.com

I'm going to throwup now

iameurope's picture
iameurope
I think Orwell and Huxley

I think Orwell and Huxley were right, the only question remaining is WHEN will we reach absolute control by the state. Maybe we will be dead by then but i'm worried about future generations, we have to remain a community.

jneo's picture
jneo
  The MONEY powers will

The MONEY powers will take apart the community.  The state has already taken over in many areas.  1. Taxes (inflation tax), you can't do anything without being slapped with a penalty of some sort.  2. The Police State, more and more monitoring and rules for the population, 3. Constant streaming of propaganda;  Fear and Greed to help facilitate Ignorance and Apathy.  The (((THEY)))) group has to keep up this divide and conquer application on the population to maintain power, the population has to overcome the fear, throw away the greed become informed to move forward and ascend beyond this paradigm.  Then again the MEDIA giant has more to work with.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgps85scy1g

iameurope's picture
iameurope
The trouble with informing

The trouble with informing yourself is the flood of information and news that we are facing. What really scares me are media monopolies like Rupert Murdoch's media imperium in the Uk.

There is a great book by Tariq Ali on the role of the media after 7/7, it's called "Rough Music: Blair, Bombs, Baghdad, London Terror"

littleone's picture
littleone
Ray Kurzweil says man and machine are becoming one.

"We are going to become Gods, PERIOD. If you don't like it, get off. You don't have to contribute. You don't have to participate. But if you're gonna interfere with ME becoming God, you're gonna have big trouble. And we'll have warfare."

~ Richard Seed, Physicist, Human Cloning Researcher, TechnoCalyps Part II – Preparing for the Singularity @18:44

Get off, huh? Sounds more like...you will be assimilated, technology will not be stopped.

Ray Kurzweil: Get Ready For A Computer In Your Brain

By Anthony Brooks and Jeremy Bernfeld Mar 21, 2011, 3:40 PM  UPDATED 4:36 PM

Intro quote:

Tiny computers in our brains, artificial intelligence, maybe even eternal life. It’s not science fiction, according to futurist Ray Kurzweil, it’s the future.

A technology-guru and exceptional forward-thinker, Kurzweil made a name for himself as an inventor who’s been able to unlock the secrets of our technological future. At 17, Kurzweil used a computer to compose music. He went on to MIT, invented the first CCD flat-bed scanner and has started more than 20 high-tech companies. ...

Getting Evolution Up to Speed

Annalee Newitz

"Biological evolution is too slow for the human species," said Ray Kurzweil, futurist and author of The Singularity Is Near. "Over the next few decades, it's going to be left in the dust."

The Colbert Report

April 12, 2011 - Ray Kurzweil

Mitt Romney throws his hat in the ring, and Ray Kurzweil says man and machine are becoming one.

-littleone

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M
Richard Seed

"We are going to become Gods, PERIOD. If you don't like it, get off. You don't have to contribute. You don't have to participate. But if you're gonna interfere with ME becoming God, you're gonna have big trouble. And we'll have warfare."

~ Richard Seed, Physicist, Human Cloning Researcher, TechnoCalyps Part II – Preparing for the Singularity @18:44

And... we'll have... warfare.

Spoken like a man who has literally no concept of how fragile he is. 

While I'm concerned with this in general, guys like this won't last long if they elevate their rhetoric.

Cheers,

Aaron

littleone's picture
littleone
I master five magics

Sadly, it seems many are chanting... I master five magics

long intro lyrics start at  2:05

-littleone

littleone's picture
littleone
War Evolves With Drones, Some Tiny as Bugs

War Evolves With Drones, Some Tiny as Bugs

By ELISABETH BUMILLER and THOM SHANKER
Published: June 19, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/world/20drones.html?_r=1 

my notes:

The end of page 1: why this tech(microdrones) is being developed

Page 2: thousands of microdrones are in action, drone glitches can only be discussed if authorized

Must read info!

This comes to mind from Richard Maybury's video...

What Obama Does Not Know - Part 1 of 3 (7:54)

for context start @5:15[email protected]:20: They've been playing God(Politicians and Bureaucrats) ~Richard Maybury

@6:30 Richard Maybury talks about calls for more regulation and explains only one regulation is needed

@6:56: "Thou shalt not steal"

video link:

...listening to Breakdown - Seether (with lyrics) and Seether - Breakdown(Acoustic)

-littleone

littleone's picture
littleone
Breakthrough: Artificial DNA

Breakthrough: Artificial DNA Could Power Future Computers 

Robert Roy Britt

Date: 05 July 2008 Time: 08:23 AM ET

Intro quote:

Chemists claim to have created the world's first DNA molecule made almost entirely of artificial parts. The finding could lead to improvements in gene therapy, futuristic nano-sized computers, and other high-tech advances, the Japanese researchers say.

DNA, popularly illustrated as a double helix, holds the blueprints of life and controls what every living organism becomes and how it functions. ...

keep reading: http://www.livescience.com/2655-breakthrough-artificial-dna-power-future-computers.html

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: Artificial DNA -- Yikes!

We can't even keep synthetic financial derivatives from blowing up in our faces.  Now we're going to noodle about with the building blocks of life? 

Hubris, thy name is "Us"...

Viva -- Sager

littleone's picture
littleone
Hubris takes form..."Psychotron"

Megadeth - Psychotron lyrics:

Assassin in stealth
Assailant from Hell
Impervious to damage
Computer on-board
Engaged in a war
Non-stop combatant
Maybe not a mutant, maybe a man

Part bionic
And organic
Not a cyborg
Call him Psychotron

source: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Psychotron-lyrics-Megadeth/1068766D8886CB09482568BF002354D9

By MARK JEWELL
AP Business Writer
May 15 12:44 PM US/Eastern

lntro quote:
Rex Jameson bikes and swims regularly, and plays tennis and skis when time allows. But the 5-foot-11, 180-pound software engineer is lucky if he presses 200 pounds—that is, until he steps into an "exoskeleton" of aluminum and electronics that multiplies his strength and endurance as many as 20 times.

"The power issue is probably the No. 1 challenge standing in the way of getting this thing in the field," Obusek said.

read full article: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D90M7EDO7&show_article=1

-littleone
 *edit to add quote and fix format
littleone's picture
littleone
Intercranially influenced

Mind control quotes (general)

"One can envision the development of electromagnetic energy sources, the output of which can be pulsed, shaped, and focused, that can couple with the human body in a fashion that will allow one to prevent voluntary muscular movements, control emotions (and thus actions), produce sleep, transmit suggestions, interfere with both short-term and long-term memory, produce an experience set, and delete an experience set. It would also appear possible to create high fidelity speech in the human body, raising the possibility of covert suggestion and psychological direction...Thus, it may be possible to 'talk' to selected adversaries in a fashion that would be most disturbing to them."-----Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen, Defense Viewpoint, December 1, 1998.

More disturbing is that the low frequencies that characterise the GSM/TETRA pulsing are close to those at which it is known that human mood and behaviour can be influenced in a number of ways (ranging from depression/docility to rage), depending on the kind/ frequency of modulation used [7], it being actually possible to induce sounds, and even words, intercranially by appropriate modulations of the microwave signal [8]. How Exposure to GSM & TETRA Base-station Radiation can Adversely Affect Humans by G J Hyland

http://www.whale.to/b/mindcontrol_q.html

...digital T.V. anyone?

-littleone

littleone's picture
littleone
Covert Lie Detection Technology...

Covert Lie Detection Technology To Be Trialled In Britain
NewsCore  September 04, 2011 3:25PM

quote:

A covert lie detection system using thermal imaging cameras and powerful software to spot tell-tale signs of deception is to be trialled at an undisclosed airport in Britain, The (London) Sunday Times reported. The system could be used during customs interviews and at passport control to check whether people entering the country are giving a true account of themselves. A key element will be that people under scrutiny will not know they are being monitored for truthfulness. The airport where it will be tested is not known but if it works it could be installed in others around Britain.

full article link:http://www.news.com.au/technology/covert-lie-detection-technology-to-be-trialled-at-undisclosed-british-airport/story-e6frfro0-1226129156186

Cameras don't lie...so, a camera is a reliable witness against all liars(people). Yet, a camera/computer does not have conscious knowledge of WHY it is important to not bear false witness or abuse power...these cause real suffering in our relationships. 

A camera/computer is able to be deceptively used and not resist.

If a computer/camera is smarter, it shoud rule, right?

What will we do with all this new insight?...waiting for a computer to crunch the covert data and enlighten me...

-littleone

littleone's picture
littleone
PETMAN

PETMAN is an anthropomorphic robot developed by Boston Dynamics for testing special clothing used by the US Army. PETMAN balances itself as it walks, squats and does simple calisthenics. PETMAN simulates human physiology by controlling temperature, humidity and sweating inside the clothing to provide realistic test conditions. PETMAN development is lead by Boston Dynamics, working in partnership with Measurement Technologies Northwest, Oak Ridge National Lab and MRIGlobal. The work is being done for the US Army PD-CCAT-TI. For more information about PETMAN visit us at www.BostonDynamics.com.

another Graven Image...soon...clone idols...

The Interface: Slouching Toward the Future
or
Guess Who'S Coming to Dinner?

Milton T. Wolf
University of Nevada, Reno  

excerpt:

One of the world's leading roboticists, Hans Moravec, has suggested that man is in the process of disappearing into the machines. "We are," he has stated, "very near the time when virtually no essential human function, physical or mental, will lack an artificial counterpart. The embodiment of this convergence of cultural developments will be the intelligent robot, a machine that can think and act as a human."[2]

2. Hans Moravec, Mind Children: The Future of Robot and Human Intelligence. (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1988), p.2.

Is disappearing into similar to bowing(worship)?

-littleone

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments