asteroid mining company forms

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
asteroid mining company forms

Yesterday, a group of billionaires, scientists and engineers announced what could become the most important enterprise in human history since Columbus sailed West: an asteroid mining company called Planetary Resources. This is absolutely a real business venture, and it will even make its own fuel out of asteroid water ice.

See the article and video here.

(h/t to my friend and illustrator for Scientific Amarican and Wired, Kenn Brown of Mondolithic Studios.)

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Where two or more are gathered.....
safewrite wrote:

Yesterday, a group of billionaires, scientists and engineers announced what could become the most important enterprise in human history since Columbus sailed West: an asteroid mining company called Planetary Resources. This is absolutely a real business venture, and it will even make its own fuel out of asteroid water ice.

See the article and video here.

(h/t to my friend and illustrator for Scientific Amarican and Wired, Kenn Brown of Mondolithic Studios.)

.....on CM.com, it's likely worth paying attention to.

safe and ao pulled this info and posted.  Gonna have to follow this one closely.....

Here's a link to ao's thread, so we can keep them together

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum/billionaire-backed-resource-seeking-space-venture/74576

Ken C's picture
Ken C
I hope this is a real

I hope this is a real project but my senses tell me to try to look behind the news.

I am reminded of a story that I fell for many years ago about Hughes building a ship to look for manganese nodules on the sea floor. Turns out it was but a ruse by the CIA to recover a Soviet sub.

"The Hughes Glomar Explorer [HGE] was built in 1973 by Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. for an intricate CIA undertaking"

http://www.fas.org/irp/program/collect/jennifer.htm

I was actually trying to find out how I could invest in this scheme. I was not the only one that was completely fooled.

This asteroid project is bringing back old memoriies about a government SCAM - then I am probably just too cynical.

ckessel's picture
ckessel
Relief !!!!

Finally I can now relax and breath a sigh of relief!!!!!

We have been saved.

Okay ....... I get a flunk for sarcasm! I don't mean to make light of the post at all. I expect to hear more about this sort of concept and I do hope that somehow .....we can end up with an EROEI that makes it plausible.  So not sure what that means exactly but it has got to be a great math exercise.

Coop

Woodman's picture
Woodman
podcast on asteroid mining

On Point interviewed the entrepeneurs here:

onpoint.wbur.org/2012/04/27/mining-asteroids 

I'm less dismissive after hearing this because they admitted to many of the challenges and that its a multi-decade problem to solve.

Remember, they laughed at Hubbert 60 years ago when he predicted peak oil; but if we'd spent more of the last 60 years doing more planning and educating we might be a lot further along to mitigating the impending predicament facing us.   

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments