Asian Carp

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Doug's picture
Doug
Asian Carp

If there were any longer any interest in environmental topics in this country, this should have been big news.  But, I had to get it via China.

“This strategy builds on the unprecedented and effective plan we are implementing to keep Asian carp out of the Great Lakes while we determine the best long term solution,” said John Goss, Asian Carp Director at the White House Council on Environmental Quality. “The 2012 Strategic Framework will strengthen our defenses against Asian carp and move even more innovative carp control projects from research into implementation.” 

This news is a non-event in the US, but huge in China:

"Outside of the Great Lakes and Mississippi River basins, news of this carp-control strategy barely registered with the U.S. public. But on March 6, it hit China and, like a jazz trio riffing for an hour on just a few notes, microbloggers took to the minor news topic with gusto, using it to explore issues ranging from corrupt civil servants to U.S. sovereign debt. Soon it even had its own hash tag, roughly translated as #Asian Carp on an American Rampage#."

Doug
osb272646's picture
osb272646
Response

This has been an ongoing battle for at least a decade.  Over the years the actions laid out in your White House link have been pretty much instituted and have been escalating for as long as the Asian Carp has threatened entering the Great Lakes.  This comes up every spring with Ice Off.  Sure there are disagreements on how the situation should be handled, but it seems that most of the authorities are operating from the same hymnal, without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I may be missing the catalyst for your observation there are no interests in environmentalism in this country anymore.  Perhaps you can elaborate.

Or, possibly the Chinese are objecting to possible maltreatment or physical abuse of this invading species?

Doug's picture
Doug
I know

I know that the Asian carp has been at the doorstep (or whatever the proper metaphor is for the Chicago Ship Canal) for quite a while, and I consider it nothing short of a miracle they haven't found their way into the Great Lakes yet.  Perhaps I should be a little more hopeful, but when I look around I see increasingly strident calls for frack baby frack, rip up the tar sands, tear off the mountain tops and fill the valleys to get the last chunk of coal and last, but far from least, continue pumping ghg's into the atmosphere.  It is clear by now that the dominant value in this country, and perhaps around the world, is commerce.  Nothing can stand in its way, and it will just get worse as it becomes clear we have reached the end of the economic boom days.

Doug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments