Are You Prepared for Disaster? Check yourself against this list of skills . . .

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
Are You Prepared for Disaster? Check yourself against this list of skills . . .

On the McAlvaney Intelligence Advisor, I found this remarkably comprehensive list of Principles for Self Sufficiency . I especially like this "checklist" as it focuses primarily on one's own inner state and thought processes, rather than external items like food, precious metals, and weapons. The advantage of this mode of preparation is that one remains prepared even as conditions change, and despite having one's plans derailed . . .

Though it doesn't change much, it is reassuring that someone else thinks the way I do . . .

Gungnir's picture
Gungnir
Re: Are You Prepared for Disaster? Check yourself against ...

Other than the inclusion of trusting in a higher power (personally I trust in my own preparedness, and trust that it is insufficient [it always will be] before trusting in the Lord [rule 18]), these are good rules, I would have preferred for it to be more agnostic, but you can't have everything.

Mindset, skillset and tactics in that priority, and this list covers that.

the one thing about rule 22 and it's application is that civil disobedience is never necessary until it's too late.

jpitre's picture
jpitre

Gungnir

Good to have you back !  And while we are on the topic of preparedness, we will all look to you & Plickety as our very own survivalists testing and leading the way.

I wonder if we are already too late with our civil disobedience ?

Jim

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

I think I'd add "have multiple backup plans/goods/methods etc" to "find different ways to do things".  In times of strife the last thing you need is to have something fall through or not work properly... thoughtful redundancy is paramount. We try to always have at least 3 ways to do something that are completely independent of each other.

Here's a few examples:

We need firewood, we can use 1) chainsaw, 2) bow saw, 3) axe/hatchet, 4) found a good person who will source us firewood in case 1-3 fail for some reason

We need heat, we can use 1) wood in the stove, 2) wood in the pit, 3) propane heater, 4) kerosene heater, 5) warm blankets/sleeping bags, 6) lots of warm clothes, 7) reusable hand/body warmers

We need water, we can 1) haul from the community well, 2) collect and melt snow, 3) chop ice or haul water from the 2 creeks, 4) dig a shallow pit well in the boggy area and filter it

Every one of the things we need to have those redundancies in place are useful on their own for multiple purposes, creating in themselves their own redundancies... kerosene for lanterns as well as heat, propane for cooking & canning as well as heat, wood & tools for building not just heat. Everything you own should be able to do at least 2 things... no room in a simplified lifestyle for things that don't do double-duty.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

PlicketyCat, I like how you think through back-up options/redundancies for necessities.  Thanks for sharing!

Cloudfire, good "Principles of Self Sufficiency" list.  I like how it talks more about preparing your mindset -how you look at things- rather than just talking about what stuff you need to have to become self-sufficient.  I think the stuff-list is important too, but the mindset is so important, and I haven't seen it addressed like this before.

I think the other thing I like about it is that it more closely reflects where my mindset is heading now, vs the way I used to see things, and the way others around me still do.  I guess it is reassuring to see that reflected elsewhere, to get that rare sensation of cognitive resonance vs dissonance!

earthwise's picture
earthwise

Plickety Cat

As one who has developed a respectable set of 'ground skills' myself, I must commend you on your accomplishments. Hats off to you!

PlicketyCat's picture
PlicketyCat

Proper mindset is key. You have to train your brain not to expect someone else to fix it or get it for your or save your bacon. You have to be prepared and willing, mentally, to look out for yourself and do what needs to be done. This includes looking out for others and lending a hand when needed... whether someone asks or can give you anything in return. You have to start thinking of Plan B, and C, and D, and as many others as you can... it's good mental practice and good insurance. You never know when something is going to happen out of the blue and you're going to need to figure out a solution pronto... if you've been training your brain to think through things and you're mentally prepared for it, you won't panic and will have a much higher chance of a successful outcome.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments