April 1 Tea Party Campaign

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
April 1 Tea Party Campaign

You know, I'm generally the type who ignores anything resembling an e-mail chain letter, and I very seldom participate in protests organized online. But I thought this e-mail I received today was so well written I just had to post it here. I've already addressed and stamped a half-dozen envelopes with tea bags. --Erik

---

I AM GOING TO PUT A TEA BAG IN AN ADDRESSED ENVELOPE RIGHT
NOW AS A REMINDER FOR  WEDNESDAY, APRIL 1ST ! 

There's a storm abrewin'. What happens when good, responsible people
keep quiet? Washington has forgotten they work for us. We don't work for them.
Throwing good money after bad is NOT the answer. I am sick of the midnight,
closed door sessions to come up with a plan. I am sick of Congress raking CEO's
over the coals while they, themselves, have defaulted on their taxes. I am sick
of the bailed out companies having lavish vacations and retreats on my dollar. I
am sick of being told it is MY responsibility to rescue people that, knowingly,
bought more house than they could afford. I am sick of being made to feel it is
my patriotic duty to pay MORE taxes. I, like all of you, am a responsible
citizen. I pay my taxes. I live on a budget and I don't ask someone else to
carry the burden for poor decisions I may make. I have emailed my congressmen
and senators asking them to NOT vote for the stimulus package as it was written
without reading it first. No one listened. They voted for it, pork and all.

O.K. folks, here it is. You may think you are just one voice and what
you think won't make a difference. Well, yes it will and YES, WE CAN!! If you
are disgusted and angry with the way Washington is handling our taxes. If you
are fearful of the fallout from the wreckless spending of BILLIONS to bailout
and "stimulate" without accountability and responsibility then we need to become
ONE, LOUD VOICE THAT CAN BE HEARD FROM EVERY CITY, TOWN, SUBURB AND HOME IN
AMERICA. There is a growing protest to demand
that Congress, the President and his cabinet LISTEN to us, the American
Citizens. What is being done in Washington is NOT the way to handle the economic
free fall.

So, here's the plan. On April 1, 2009, all Americans are asked to send
a TEABAG to Washington , D.C. You do not have to enclose a note or any other
information unless you so desire. Just a TEABAG. Many cities are organizing
protests. If you simply search, "New American Tea Party", several sites will
come up. If you aren't the 'protester' type, simply make your one voice heard
with a TEABAG. Your one voice will become a roar when joined with millions of
others that feel the same way. Yes, something needs to be done but the lack of
confidence as shown by the steady decline in the stock market speaks
volumes.

This was not my idea. I visited the sites of the 'New
American Tea Pary' and an online survey showed over 90% of thousands said they
would send the teabag on April 1. Why, April 1?? We want them to reach
Washington by April 15. Will you do it? I will. Send it to;

Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington ,
D.C.20500

Forward this to everyone in your address book. Visit the
website below for more information about the 'New American Tea Party'. I would
encourage everyone to go ahead and get the envelope ready to mail, then just
drop it in the
mail April

Can't guarantee what the postage will be by then, it is going up as we speak,
but have your envelope ready. What will this cost you? A little time and a 40
something cent stamp.

What could you receive in benefits? Maybe, just
maybe, our elected officials will start to listen to the people. Take out the
Pork. Tell us how the money is being spent. We want TRANSPARENCY AND
ACCOUNTABILITY. Remember, the money will be spent over the next 4-5 years. It is
not too late.

Gadfly's picture
Gadfly
Re: April 1 Tea Party Campaign

Watch out, Obama's Brown-Shirts may have to declare marshal law for this insurrection.

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Interesting idea. For a realistic perspective of the options, please read:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/teaparty.asp

grl's picture
grl

I received this email also and like Sam I researched it a bit. The Snopes entry confirms what I read on the tea party campaign website - there is concern that the tea bags will not run properly through the post office machinery and security screening will stop any tea bags from reaching their destination. The website suggested either using only the paper covering the tea bags are wrapped in or a picture of a tea bag. (It all seems a rather fruitless to me) I also noticed that some of the original ideas for sending the tea bags were to send them to your senators and representative, not the White House, which makes more sense to me.

I think it would be a far more worthwhile effort to convince everyone we know to get educated. No one understands what is happening. Until they do, nothing will change. A quote in the Rolling Stone article http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/26793903/the_big_takeover/print  really says it all: "There is a reason it used to be a crime in the Confederate states to teach a slave to read: Literacy is power. In the age of the CDS and CDO, most of us are financial illiterates."

Maybe enough tea bags would hit Washington to make the nightly news, but it will be forgotten a day later and most of the country wouldn't get the important message anyway. Until this country understands that we are being gang-raped and robbed by all the powers that be, nothing will change.

Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.

Hi Lisa,

Yeah, I thought of those concerns.My reaction was still to do it. It took <5 minutes to print a few envelopes and stuff them, and even if the chances of it making a real difference are small, I feel better!

I used the Bigelow tea bags wrapped in foil to mitigate the processing concern.In a #10 envelope they are pretty streamlined and I don't expect they'll get lost in processing.

I couldn't agree more that the real problem is getting the public to wake up and understand what is happening. But most people just refuse to listen to what they perceive as bad news. I gave away (free) over 100 Crash Course DVDs over the holidays. As I follow up with people, I've only encountered 2 people who actually watched it. And that was after I spent a few minutes with many of them explaining how I'd been volunteering my time to help Chris with the site because I feel the message is so important. I really reached out and tried to make a personal appeal for why it's really important for every American to learn about this, but most of them never made it past Ch. 3, and at least half haven't cracked the shrink wrap yet.

I just don't know what to do. Lisa, you're absolutely correct about the real issue, but so far I haven't figured out the trick for getting people to wake up, pay attention, and educate themselves. Sending tea bags to the president may or not be effective, but like I say, I feel better knowing I'm trying everything I can think of to help save my country.

Erik

grl's picture
grl

Erik,

I agree that sending off tea bags can't hurt and that's why I have four sitting on my counter ready to go. I am going to just send the paper wrappers.

I had a similar experience with the Crash Course.  Rather than give out CD's, I sent out a heart-felt message to all my friends and family with a link to the Crash Course. Of those, two watched it, or parts of it, but even they had no more to say about it. I think there are many factors which keep most people from caring, not the least of which is, well....they don't care. Most people feel their lives are complicated enough and they are powerless to do anymore than keep up with their mundane activities.  And when they have time, they'd much rather be watching Survivor or American Idol than setting off on a learning adventure that serious attention to the Crash Course demands.

I am going to try a new tactic because that quote from the Rolling Stone article:  "There is a reason it used to be a crime in the Confederate states to teach a slave to read:Literacy is power. In the age of the CDS and CDO, most of us are financial illiterates. By making an already too-complex economy even more complex, Wall Street has used the crisis to effect a historic, revolutionary change in our political system — transforming a democracy into a two-tiered state, one with plugged-in financial bureaucrats above and clueless customers below" says it all. And I think it might resonate with a few of my currently clueless friends. I am going to email that quote and a link to the Rolling Stone article; maybe a few more will "get it."

A final observation: Everyone I know who is on to this (and despite my comments above, I do actually have quite a few friends who have watched the Crash Course independently of my encouragement and/or "get it") has some sort of Libertarian/libertarian streak. It occurs to me that the only people who are interested in understanding what is going on and doing something about it are those who do not believe government is the answer or the fixer.

Regards,

Lisa

Aaron M's picture
Aaron M

Any gestural approach that says to those in power that there are angry citizens will be productive.

It may be forgotten by the MSM - but I guarantee that the politicians and citizens will know.

The War of Independance was fought with less than 10% of the population. The number of people that constitute our nations "power structure" comprise less than 1%.

It reminds me of Orwell. The Proles will never revolt. Change will have to come from the outer party.

Ugh. Depressing.

Cheers,

Aaron

ceci1ia's picture
ceci1ia

I recall that the original tea party actually had tremendous
economic repercussions for the government, which is why it got
attention. Sending teabags may be emotionally satisfying, but nothing
will come of it. Capitalists only pay attention to that which affects
their capital.

A real revolt might be to start with Lisa's
education and literacy, leading to people actually doing something like
oh, disinvesting from Wall Street and doing their own self-directed
thing. I could see a true movement towards slow food/small cooperative
housing/disengagement from consumer society. Almost like secular Amish.

grl's picture
grl
ceci1ia wrote:

I recall that the original tea party actually had tremendous economic repercussions for the government, which is why it got attention.

Excellent point ceci1ia!

Dakamom's picture
Dakamom

This is my first post...I'm happy to have found this really informative website!

I happen to be teaching revoutionary history to my 5th graders right now, and I'm happy to tell you that quite a few of the kids are aware of the parallels even at their tender ages.  Anyway, the tea party was very effective in provoking the British to clamp down upon the colonists in Boston.  The Intolerable Acts that were imposed on them by the British demanded that the colonists pay for the destroyed tea.  Further, they took away the abilities of the colonists to select their own sheriffs and judges, and to hold meetings without British permission.  The Act also closed the port of Boston to trade, which really hurt the colonists.  Patriots from the other colonies met in Philadelphia (Continental Congress) to determine how to come to the aid of the Boston...it was then that Patrick Henry said that there were no longer Virginians, Pennsylvanians, and New Englanders, but only Americans... and that George Washington offered to supply and lead an army of a thousand men to Boston at his own expense.  (Thanks and credit to Steve Sheinkin for his fabulous and informative book King George: What was his problem?)...One of the lessons was that the British did not expect the other colonies to come to the aid of Boston...but they did, and the course of history changed as a result.  The lesson for us is that we have to make an economic impact and then stand together.  Sending a teabag is a symbolic shot over the bow, perhaps, but what should, could, would we do next?  Sam (Adams), George, and Patrick, we need you NOW!!

BTW, it's a fascinating time to be learning about the Revolution...and it all began because the British wanted to tax the colonists to raise money to pay for the French and Indian War (thanks again to Steve Sheinkin for making history exciting for kids...and their teachers!!)

Looking forward to my further economics education. 

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Quote:

But most people just refuse to listen to what they perceive as bad
news. I gave away (free) over 100 Crash Course DVDs over the holidays.
As I follow up with people, I've only encountered 2 people who actually
watched it. And that was after I spent a few minutes with many of them
explaining how I'd been volunteering my time to help Chris with the
site because I feel the message is so important. I really reached out
and tried to make a personal appeal for why it's really important for
every American to learn about this, but most of them never made it past
Ch. 3, and at least half haven't cracked the shrink wrap yet.

Eric - One thing that worked for me recently with a couple of very liberal co-workers was to send them a link to the article on the Huffington Post that discussed the Crash Course. That did it

As for the Tea Bag idea, it is a great idea and will be sending out a few bags myself...ya know, with all these tea parties and tea bags being mailed out, are there any publicly traded tea company stocks out there? Smile

beckyheller's picture
beckyheller

I recommend saving the postage and send emails and faxes.  Most legislators use both for communicating and I am sure lists exist that would be very easy to use and possibly more effective (clog up the works in their office). 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments