Any Predictions for 2012....anyone anyone

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
jneo's picture
jneo
Any Predictions for 2012....anyone anyone

NO, I am not talking about the Mayan Calendar.  

I was wondering what YOUR predictions will be for 2012?

Will the economy get better?

Will Obama Get another Term?

Will another War break out?

Will the Fed be audited?  

Will another terrorists attack happen?

Will the libertarian movement gain momentum?

What will be the next bubble?

Will civil unrest occur?

List goes on and on.  

Voice your predictions, and add to the list if you feel like it.  

~Joe

SagerXX's picture
SagerXX
Re: Any Predictions for 2012....anyone anyone
JK121 wrote:

Will the Fed be audited?  

Will civil unrest occur?

List goes on and on.  

~Joe

Just a veerrrrrrry narrow response:  Obama -- one term.  IMO.

cannotaffordit's picture
cannotaffordit

Joe, you asked, and its only my opinion anyway, so here goes.

Economy - not in the long run.  May show signs of being better, as long as it is propped up, but sooner or later the bottom is likely to drop out.....as in complete collapse.

Obama, another term - no, too many enemies among Repugnicans, and now in his own camp

Another war?   Only if it is to some big wigs advantage to have one....financial or otherwise

Fed audited.   No.  Not to any significant degree.  No one could audit the Bush adm.  And the Fed is not even elected

Additional terrorists attacks?  Could be. The folks who hate America for its greed, dishonesty and "do as I say, not as I do" attitude have not gone away.

Libertarian movement gain strength.  I seriously doubt it.  Obama started us in the direction, but he folded when the Repubs stood up to him.  Gains in the libertarian philosophy may be lost for a long while.

Next bubble?   Gosh, i wish I knew, so I could get in on it for a change.  Maybe higher education.

Civil unrest.  I've thought about this one a whole lot.  I seriously doubt that much of it will occur, simply because we have waited so long now that the "forces" have been sufficiently built up that any unrest will be quelled very quickly.

Will more and more people in this country shift toward the bottom of the economic ladder?  Yes, definitely.  Those who once were sure they were middle class are quickly, and in large numbers, finding themselves in lower economic class.

Will "Wall Street" ever be taken to task for it's misbehavior.  Absolutely not.  They own our government. so who's gonna do it

We can run, and we may be able to hide (on a small piece of arable land) for a while.  But not forever.  We are headed for serfdom, sooner or later, and I personally don't see how all our words and our actions can have any effect on changing it.

Will more and more people wake up to what is happening?   Probably, but slowly, and by then it will be too late.  In fact, it probably is already.

Will more and more people become discouraged, by having no home, no job and little hope for the future.  You betcha!

Will we ever be able to get an intelligent, honest person, who is not controlled by the dynasty elected.   NO.  The ones who have been elected, for many years now, have been the ones who spent the most money.  How in the world could we ordinary citizens ever think we could compete, financially, with the corporate-dominated world?

Will the United States continue to fall further and further behind in other stats?   Yes, what would change that?

JAG's picture
JAG

If life has taught me anything, then this is my prediction for 2012....

"What was that website that I used to go to that predicted all those calamities like a financial collapse, peak oil, and revolution? Its funny that I can't remember as it seemed so important at the time..."

Farmer Brown's picture
Farmer Brown

As Yogi Bera says, "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future." 

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Well I actually already had put a fair amount of thought previously on a probable sequence of events for the next few years.  My personal reason for doing so is that it gives me something of a baseline for how I prepare materially, financially, and emotionally for the years ahead.  I won't say this is a 'prediction', merely a possible future that I've tried to piece together given what we've seen so far.  It is somewhat US-centric, but that's mostly to do with my greater familiarity with the US and the fact I live here... I don't feel confident enough in my knowledge to make anything more than general guesses on conditions in other nations and the intricate interplay between them.

Economy - Substantially worse than it is now. A major banking crisis (global not just US) with associated major stock market decline before the end of 2009, with a 2nd major bailout and even larger stimulus plans keeping the economy limping along in a state of stagnation for a year or two until a QE breaking point is finally reached and a currency crisis in the dollar develops.  'Official' unemployment in the high teens, a dollar which is has a value only 10-30% of its current value, trade (in both directions) that dries up to less than half of what it is now, and oil supply shortages (postponed by a previously deflating economy) start having serious effects.  Some chain stores suffer serious losses and bankruptcies due to periodic difficulties in shipping and obtaining the usual imports.  Perhaps a dozen or more states are officially bankrupt, with federal assistance to states dwindling at the same time.  Many communities develop more locally-based economies to fill the void of large chain-store bankruptcies and the sometimes unreliable long-distance transportation of goods.

Obama - No 2nd term... he will be blamed (for both right and wrong reasons) by many Americans for the current state of affairs.  An announcement that he will not run for a 2nd term is quite possible.

War - Yes, but a series of smaller, unrelated conflicts rather than one massive one.  The US will likely not be an instigator of any of these (not intentionally anyhow) because of already strained military resources and extreme war-weariness from Afghanistan, but will be drawn in one of said conflicts regardless.  Most likely involving a collapsing Pakistan.

Fed Audit - Previous audit attempts are derailed or watered down, but by this time there will be little doubt left in the US and the world at large that the Fed has no credibility. 

Terrorist Attack - Small attacks happen every 1-2 months in the US, some by already established terrorist groups but also some by growing numbers of domestic anti-government groups.  The latter creates in the eyes of the authorities a dangerously blurry line between growing numbers of peaceful anti-government protest groups and violent anti-government groups.

Libertarian Movement - Two new parties develop into forces to be reckoned with. The first perhaps a combination of Republican and Democrat politicians (some being disaffected with their former parties, with the others being merely opportunistic) that splinter off to create their own party with a largely populist agenda (i.e. punish the banks, more unemployment aid, etc.).  I'm sure the idea of politicians turning against the big banks and Wall Street is considered laughable by some, but I can see the possibility of some if not many politicians stabbing their former partners in crime in the back if given sufficient incentive (most likely either fear or self-interest). The second party perhaps being a more grassroots organization with few established politicians and a more or less libertarian philosophy and strong anti-war platform.

Next Bubble - Not sure if there will be one by 2012, as such.  Maybe so if you count government stimulus projects and government-funded jobs as a bubble.  I think a 'Green Energy' bubble of sorts will eventually develop, but in 2012 would most likely would be in a relatively early stage. 

Civil Unrest - Probably so, and to a significant degree.  As with domestic terror groups, the line between angry, hungry protesters and violent rioters/looters will begin to get blurry in the eyes of LE and government, with many tragic deaths on both sides as a result.  Long-standing curfews exist in a number of large and small cities, and crime is an epidemic in many areas.  At this point a growing number of towns and neighborhoods both large and small develop into tight-knit communities providing their own community policing and defense in the face of dwindling or overwhelmed local and state police presence.

Some additional areas of interest:

Poverty - Homeless camps of vast size are commonplace in many American cities. Federal efforts have some relief camps for the homeless and large-scale food aid programs preventing death and starvation for many, but corruption becomes a serious problem and the theft and selling of food and medical supplies on the grey and black markets is commonplace.

Black/Grey Markets - These become a fact of life for most regular people, with law enforcement more often than not having a 'hands-off' approach (or being paid to look the other way).  For many people it becomes a convenient place for barter, a way to avoid increasingly oppressive sales taxes, and the place to find hard-to-get imported legal goods.  But naturally, some markets will run brisk illegal trading in medicines, drugs, and weapons.

Firearms - Some new federal, state, and city restrictons on firearm ownership are in place, but are largely ignored by the public and enforcement is spotty (sometimes dependent on a bribe).  Ammunition availability becomes a big problem though, with involvement in war and overwhelming domestic demand making supplies hard to come by.  Grey markets are often the best, and sometimes only, places to obtain ammunition.

Gold and Silver - Gold becomes very hard to obtain, and silver (and gold when available) is a popular store of personal wealth.  Grey and black markets do a brisk business with gold and silver.  Most people shop two ways... dollars are used at the official stores and supermarkets, and silver is spent at the grey and black market.

- Nickbert

okubow's picture
okubow

Will the economy get better? - US economy overall, No. Some will profit, most will lose.

Will the Fed be audited?  - No - or - If public outcry grows precipitously a phony audit will take place that will reassure the public.

Will the libertarian movement gain momentum? - Yes, in terms of growing public support and interest, but the movement still needs a charismatic leader. (Historically speaking, in times of crisis people follow personalities more than abstract ideas.) Also, look for the rise of "strong-men" promising to clean things up and "restore the Republic," "restore prosperity," "end corruption" etc.

Will civil unrest occur? - Yes. (The spirit behind the tea parties and town hall protests is alive and well and will continue to grow and spread as the situation in the US continues to worsen.)

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

An SEC team with one loss will go to the BCS National Championship against Big 12 Texas over undefeated Utah in yet another snub of the Mountain West.

The economy will be wherever it is, the markets will function in whatever fashion they function.  Those who have learned how to trade the new market will thirve, those who don't will loudly bemoan their fate and blame someone else for a situation they could have have gotten themselves out of with a little work.

Obama - One and done.  In the books as one of the most eloquent (while the teleprompters were on) failures in American Presidential history.  Two party system demise gains further traction.  Mike Huckabee/Ron Paul anyone?  Senator Martenson?  Congressman Dogs (with Chief of Staff Moyer)???

Nancy Pelosi's Botox will wear off and she will be mistaken for a Shar Pei and detained from entering the Capitol.

Dick Cheney will cameo as Darth Vader in the next series of Star Wars movies - and will need neither a mask or a voice synthesizer.

Fed audited........you might be surprised.  There's a lot of pissed off people out there.  Congressman Alan Grayson will be knighted.

Crash Course Chapter 30?

Damn The Matrix will post something nice about the US.

Internet replaced by quantum entangled neural net - people will still complain about CM.com site speed - because .999999c isn't quite fast enough.

The Definitive Firearms thread will have over 22,000 posts.

The Cubs will win 109 games during the regular season but lose the NLCS in Game 7 when Steve Bartman's son knocks the game ending pop foul out of a player's glove.

Okay, so this post was deliberately light, somewhat irreverent and marginally comical.  The point is, whatever happens is going to happen.  We are either going to be ready for it or not.  "It" is going to bad - really bad or not that bad.  We are going to get through it in some form, fashion and function.  Some of us here won't be there.  Some who think they will make it through won't, some who are convinced they have no chance of getting through "it" will and will be the leaders on the other side.

Bring it on.

And we will be two years further into the Fourth Turning.......

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Dogs-

I agree, one can't let anxieties of possible futures and things beyond our control keep us awake at night.  You just do the best you can and make some sort of plan, and see what comes.  And of course it helps to not get too wrapped up in one's own plan that it becomes hard to change when circumstances change.  My own 'scenario' as given just helps give me something to aim for, and is actually a little darker than I expect will happen, but that's just my conservative nature.

BTW, I don't see a Darth Vader cameo in the cards; rather, Cheney will instead star alongside Mike Myers as Dr Evil's even more sinister twin brother....

Dr Evil

- Nickbert

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile

nickbert -

That was priceless. 

Cue the spooky organ music.  Surprised

Toccatta in D Minor perhaps.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/video/130816/bachs_tocatta_in_d_minor_electric_guitar.html

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
nickbert wrote:

BTW, I don't see a Darth Vader cameo in the cards; rather, Cheney will instead star alongside Mike Myers as Dr Evil's even more sinister twin brother....

Dr Evil

Too, too funny, Nickbert! . . .

nickbert's picture
nickbert

Sadly for Mr. Cheney, he will pass away on the movie set on the final days of filming.  The cast and crew will fail to recognize the symptoms of a heart attack, not able to differentiate the heart attack symptoms from his usual snarling, grunting, and cursing.  Cheney will receive a posthumous Oscar nomination, and Mike Myers will don his Dr. Evil makeup (this time with glasses) one final time to portray Cheney in the film biography, "Go *#$& Yourself - The Dick Cheney Story"

- Nickbert

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Laughing

nickbert wrote:

Cheney will receive a posthumous Oscar nomination . . . .

. . . . for imitating a human being . . . We all know he's half lizard . . .

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire

Edit:  What does it take to embed a video these days?

Ken C's picture
Ken C

The only prediction that I can make about 2012 is that it will come some time after 2011 and before 2013 but I am not sure about that.Undecided

Johnny Oxygen's picture
Johnny Oxygen

I will still be poor.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix

Damn The Matrix will post something nice about the US.

Dogs......  you made my day!

But you see, by 2012 the US will be a shadow of its former self, brought back down to reality, and then it will be/should be a much nicer nation so of course I'll be able to post nice things about the US  :-)

Mike

ejanea's picture
ejanea

What do you have against lizards?

Cloudfire's picture
Cloudfire
ejanea wrote:

What do you have against lizards?

You're right, ejanea, I stand corrected . . . . I shouldn't insult lizards that way . . .

Kurosawa's picture
Kurosawa
JK121 wrote:

Will the Fed be audited?  

Will civil unrest occur?

List goes on and on.  

~Joe

To answer two of your questions regarding the economy and bubbles.  It depends about what your definition of a 'better economy' is.  If it's in regards to our standard of living then it's a definite NO.  As far as bubbles we are currently in a bubble that Celente described as the bailout bubble.  There are also bubbles in the academia industrial complex, student tuition rates are rising twice the rate of inflation so there you go.  I think eventually you may have a precious metals bubbles as soon as the dollar's power starts to decline.

As far as Obama getting a 2nd term it's shaky.  What a lot of our 'fringe' experts are saying is that the conditions are set for a terrorist attack which will increase support for the establishment, e.g. 9/11.  Though I don't advocate this theory I still don't count it out.  If the conditions are right Obamageddon will upon us.  I personally believe that the economy will be exhausted and Obama will be the scapegoat.  So no 2nd term IMO.

Another war breaking out is a definite since our foreign policy is everything aggressive.  The blowback will catch up with us one way or another and/or we will try expand the war in the Middle East.  I mean Eisenhouer stated that the persian gulf is the most important region that we need to take ahold of and our past and present administrations since then provide a strong track record of that.

I think the libertarian movement will gain momentum but not in a positive way.  Many pundit talk heads will high jack the term and deform it into something else much in the same way that Reagan conservatism was high jacked by the Neo-cons.  Don't get me wrong I'm hopeful that the true message of liberty shines through but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Kind of random but as far as lucrative jobs in demand are concerned I would place my money into conservation engineering in the short future.

EndGamePlayer's picture
EndGamePlayer

I'm still digging up info on the "2012 phenomenon" and here's what I have so far:

1. The Mayan Calendar is more accuracy than our own "modern" time keeping. It was off 30 seconds in 500 years for predicting eclipses. The location and waxing/waning of the moon was right on. Our own time keeping calendar is off days every century which why the solstice date is changed every few years.
  2. The Mayans kept time of precession (the rotation of the axis) and this is something that was only discovered by us when a couple guys realized the pyramids didn't match the constellation they pointed to 20 years ago.
  3. Whatever event happens on 12-21-12, it happens on a regular basis, like clock work. Such events, from benign - like the gushing of hot water from Old Faithful, to the massive laying of the black layer of soil found around the world, the event they speak of is a catastrophic event and they dedicated their time keeping to it.

IMO, whatever prompted them to be so diligent as to measure time as the movement of the planets, stars, sun, earth and moon and their location in the universe, to build temples and cities around the information for centuries- certainly deserves my respect. Be the peace.

End Game Player

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments