Any predictions for 2011 and beyond

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
Any predictions for 2011 and beyond

I was wondering people's thoughts about 2011 and beyond.

I believe, like many, that the tipping point in a number of areas may have already been reached.  The slope may not be too steep or too slippery yet, but I think in 2011 it will become steeper and slipperier.   I think there will be a lot of trouble in the Euro Zone, but only worse than the U.S. because there are more people admitting there’s a problem there.  I think I will continue to see erosion in my standard of living, but I am still hopeful for maintaining my quality of life.  Right now I fear the stock market, and am mostly (99%) out.  I fear the housing market, and am in the process of downsizing by more than 50%.  I am hoping to keep employed through 2011 and beyond, and will continue to contribute heavily to my conservatively invested (and company matched) 401K. 

I fear for the future of my kids, but am hopefully that because they are young and resilient with few financial ties that they will be able to roll with the coming changes.  I have tried to make my concerns known to them, but because they grew up (like I did) in a world of plenty, they are still optimistic, or in denial. I fear exponentially bad changes that have already begun. Over population, Peak Oil, melting methane loaded permafrost, a government debt and Federal Reserve Bank that will continue to hide the facts through manipulation until it’s too late to escape without severe and catastrophic pains.  I fear not being prepared myself, and that others around me will be even less prepared.  I fear what my reaction will be to all those who say “who saw that coming?”  I am preparing, but I don’t think enough, or fast enough.  I guess I’m still used to the “just in time” world that I live in, and I also don’t want to alarm family members. 

Anyway, I see 2010 as when the shift really began to show, but that awareness will grow in 2011, as will poverty, pain, crime, and corruption.  Predictions are that the housing market will continue down until mid 2011, but I believe it will never come back.  Our politicians will continue to fight over petty things and point fingers for years to come without every doing what is right and needed.  Unfortunately I see most of the population in denial for years to come, and most of them thinking that someone else will save us all with some great technology breakthrough that will allow us to continue our wasteful life styles forever.

jneo's picture
jneo
Re: Any predictions for 2011 and beyond

Here you go.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N8gJSMoOJc

"Do you remember the Great Depression? One day everything was going all right. Everybody was pretty wealthy and had plenty to eat. The next day everybody was in poverty. What had happened? Had the fields disappeared; had the dairy vanished into thin air; had the fish of the sea ceased to exist; had human beings lost their energy; their skills and their brains? 

No, but on the morning after the Depression a man came to work building a house and the foreman said to him "Sorry chum you can't work today, there ain't no inches." He said "What do you mean there ain't no inches?" "Yeah" he said, "Yeah, we got lumber, we got metal, we even got tape measures." The foreman said "The trouble with you is you don't understand business. There are no inches. We have been using too many of them and there's not enough to go around." 

Because what happened in the Great Depression was a slump in money. Human beings are so unbelievably stupid, that they confused money with wealth. They don't realize that money is a measure of wealth, in exactly the same way that meters are a measure of length. They think it is something that is valuable in and of itself. And as a result of that get into unbelievable trouble." Alan Watts

DCampoli's picture
DCampoli

The "Day the Dollar Died" video is definately a possibility, but this is what I think the most likely senario is.

I have come to the realization that the price of oil is linked to the economy and will thus function as a governor on the economy.  In the short term (1-2 years) as the price of oil rises the economy will slow keeping the price of oil down.  In other words there is some upper limit in the price of oil beyond which the economy will not grow, this is a structural change creating a new normal, ie. 25% unemployment.  I still think in the long term the upper limit in the price of oil will increase which will result in the economy shrinking and unemployment growing but this could be 2-5 years out.  In the short term I think PM (gold and silver) have more room for nominal growth (which will actually just be wealth preservation) as the USD is devalued in response to the US and European sovereign debt crisis and rising unemployment.  I am expecting the debt and unemployment to cause another major sell off of equities in 2011 or 2012.  Mid 2011 is a potential tipping point as QE2 ends.  Historically in the 3rd year of a presidency the Fed Cartel stimulates the stock market so that unemployment falls in the year of the election, but not sure if the Fed Cartel can overcome the structural problems and create a large enough bubble to push off the next burst until 2012 or beyond.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr

One thing I am noticing lately is how much food costs are starting to rise at the grocery store. Noticeably rise.  I feel like I've been kicked in the gut when  I see how much the total for my groceries is lately.  And I've seen some inidvidual prices that shocked me; a couple of weeks ago I saw a coconut for ~$9 USD!   A loaf of bread is now over $4.  A  And my husband and I both have decent jobs (knock on wood!).  What about those who don't?  They have to be getting squeezed more and more by rising food costs.

I bring that up here, because i think 2011 will see greatly increased awareness of the trouble we're in economically, if for no other reason than the rising food prices.  Add to that news about the record-breaking number of people on foodstamps, and on unemployment assistance programs getting renewed over and over again... iI think it is going to get ugly fast if those programs stop being funded or renewed.

Montana Native's picture
Montana Native

I like Firewood, Silver and Fruit trees......its going to get ugly out there.

changingman's picture
changingman

Just watched 'the day the dollar died' and it is frighting how true it is and how in some cases that very senario has already took place.

for example Ireland as a country is bankrupt and was going to collaspe the Euro currency but in stepped the IMF with E85 billion euros to stabilise the markets (just like the $1.5trillion in the documentary). Ireland has 1.6 million people working to pay of that debt - how can this be possible with mass Immigration & negative growth in the economy?!!!!

Not enough people seem to realise the financial problems that really exist throughout the world which does suggest that if TSHTF we are heading for anarchy. I have noticed in my work that it is getting more & more complicated to do business with price rises and small budgets from companies to by materials. I am always spelling it out to people how long can business work like this? but no one can answer. I can only see 2011 getting worse and I feel something big is coming soon.

The bit that confuses me is that everyone admits something has to happen and it's going to be big, however several discussions on this sites still recognise that there will be normal functioning things happening in 5,6,10 years time eg: green energy, more localised food initatives. Therefore sometimes I think maybe we'll have a smooth landing and a bit of suffering on the way. Governments must know what is coming and are just not telling us? I've heard things about a NEW WORLD ORDER which people seem very concerned about. It's probably a new discussion but if you have an opinion I'd love to hear it.

Poet's picture
Poet

Pinecarr: Here at nice Asian supermarkets in Southern California, I've purchased several times this year a box of 9 fresh coconuts for $5.99 or $7.99 on special. The corporate (Ralphs, Albertson's) supermarkets here will sell one coconut for $2.99 or $3.99 if they have them at all. A loaf of basic white bread can be $2, but yes, usually the good bread will be around $3 to $4 that I see. Costco has regular specials on good whole wheat bread (buy 2 loaves for $6).

Changingman: Ireland has 6.2 million people, not 1.6 million people. (Still down from the peak of 8 million before the Potato Famine. Can you believe that?!?) But yes, that's still way too much of a loan to rescue bondholders at private banks. And at higher interest rates than even the Greeks got!

Regarding Predictions: I just listened to the McAlvany Weekly Commentary from Tuesday, December 14, 2010. They feature John Williams of Shadowstats.org, who predicts hyperinflation within a rather short time frame:
http://mcalvanyweeklycommentary.com/ica2010-1215-mp3/

I'm definitely seeing some kind of convergence in a lot of on-line predictions of dire economic conditions next year, etc. indicating to me that 2011 will be likely be major. I think 2011 will be VERY interesting. Probably not as interesting as 2012 will be, though. Unfortunately, there's that supposed Chinese saying that's also a curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Poet

changingman's picture
changingman

Changingman: Ireland has 6.2 million people, not 1.6 million people. (Still down from the peak of 8 million before the Potato Famine. Can you believe that?!?) But yes, that's still way too much of a loan to rescue bondholders at private banks. And at higher interest rates than even the Greeks got!

Hi Poet - You quite right there is a population of 6.2 million in Ireland but some of those pay taxes in Northern Ireland. In the Republic there is 1.6million people in current employment (the latest figures are out this week). The rest are kids, elderly and unemployed. I was shocked to hear this as well - How can that sustain itself - It simply cant.

I've read so many predictions and there does seen to be some kind of financial collaspe again within the next two. There's no reverse gear and the world banking system needs a detox. I hope it's smooth!!!! not holding my breath though!!!

Poet's picture
Poet
changingman wrote:

In the Republic there is 1.6million people in current employment (the latest figures are out this week). The rest are kids, elderly and unemployed. I was shocked to hear this as well - How can that sustain itself - It simply cant.

Oh, wow! I see what you mean. That's scary. No wonder this government that's trying to broker the bail-out is trying to ram it through.

Poet

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
prediction to top all predictions...

http://judgmentdayismay212011.com/about.html

djstrodl's picture
djstrodl
The Lull Before The Storm: What’s Coming in 2011-Gonzalo Lira

http://gonzalolira.blogspot.com/2010/12/lull-before-storm-whats-coming-in-2011.html#more

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon
Re: prediction to top all predictions...

OH Pete sake,  the  world has gone crazy  . I suppose we should not be surprised that more and more of these show up .

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden

Hey DarnTheMatrix,  do you really believe this?  If so why, if not, why did you post it?  If this was true, there would be no reason to warn anyone, because the chosen ones would already be chosen, and the rest wouldn't matter.  So, let's get real here.

jpetr's picture
jpetr

It really does not matter what this site judgmentdaymay 2011 states. No where in the bible does it state an exact end time. The bible does say there will be plenty of deception toward the end times but never a date.

Damnthematrix's picture
Damnthematrix
DrHolden wrote:

Hey DarnTheMatrix,  do you really believe this?  If so why, if not, why did you post it?  If this was true, there would be no reason to warn anyone, because the chosen ones would already be chosen, and the rest wouldn't matter.  So, let's get real here.

Of course I don't believe a word of it.......  I just thought it was rather funny actually!  Lighten up....  we all need a break from REAL doom'n'gloom now and again!

Mike

DRHolden's picture
DRHolden
Damnthematrix wrote:

Of course I don't believe a word of it.......  I just thought it was rather funny actually!  Lighten up....  we all need a break from REAL doom'n'gloom now and again!

Mike

Lightening...  thanks. :)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments