Angry laid off Chicago workers occupy factory

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
SkylightMT's picture
SkylightMT
Angry laid off Chicago workers occupy factory

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20081206/Workers.Takeover/

250 laid off workers, angry that the bailout is rescuing banks but isn't helping employees or releasing credit to companies to pay their workers, have taken over their workplace. They are sweeping snow and keeping the factory clean, staying busy, but they refuse to leave.

They say they hope they are setting a precedent.

I have a feeling they are.

drb's picture
drb
Re: Angry laid off Chicago workers occupy factory

As job losses in the US increase, lets hope we don't see a  repeat of this: CEO murdered by mob of sacked Indian Workers

kiwixport's picture
kiwixport

A lot of CEO's it could be argued deserve far worse.

If you destroy a persons livelihood or parasitise them (in line with the law of course) can you expect any better????

There are those more deserving of sympathy.

drb's picture
drb

kiwixport,

Exactly where in what I posted did I 'sympathize' with the murdered CEO? 

I can empathize with the anger felt by those who have lost their livlihoods but I don't believe it justifies murder and my comment was meant as an expression of hope that here in the U.S. of A we will avoid this type of mob behavior. 

In the absence of a history of posts by you on this site I I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your statement that "..a lot of CEOs deserve far worse.." is simply hyperbole. If not, and you really meant what you said, then ask yourself if 'you' really want to live in a world where the rule of law is trampled under the soles of unthinking hordes of angry mobs.

krogoth's picture
krogoth
Sadly this will become the norm soon

This will just get worse. I think the Big 3 go, or even part of them, we are going to see some truly henious behaviour from the American workers. Riots, factory burnings, mass hysteria, dogs and cats living together.

You can't leave, the plants will die!

kiwixport's picture
kiwixport

Well I know it sounds bad, but hell I mean it.

No I dont like the thought of living in such a world. But corrupt and greedy individuals in management (Corporate and Govt) and the apathy of the rest of us will lead to more of the same.

Im sickened by much of what I have seen and by what I think will happen. It comforts me to know that not all those who share the greater portion of blame will get a totally free ride. Those who never had a chance to change events, I save my sympathy for them (this does not include myself or I suspect you, by doing nothing we are accomplices in our own small way).

Our corporate (and other) 'leaders' have a lot to answer for. As they seem above the law maybe such examples are the last desperate means of keeping them in line???

Mob violence is I beleieve born out of desperation or fear. Ask yourself why these people are so desperate????

Lastly I think it is closer to home than you seem to think. When you see desperatioin and fear, the mob will not be far behind.

ironcloudz's picture
ironcloudz

This is an early stirring of direct action which I expect to see a lot more of.  Workers direct control movements like this have taken root in Argentina (I think it was).

Workers should be put in charge of retooled factories to use what remains of the industrial output to produce machines to see us through to the next stage.  Solar arrays, super-efficent mass transit,useful gardening tools, etc.  NOT more uneccesary private autos.

I suspect this will become more prevalent as centralized power starts to unravel and people realize the way is clear of state violent reaction in defense of the capitalist parasite owners of the means of production.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments