The Anger Phase of Economic Enlightenment

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Erik T.'s picture
Erik T.
The Anger Phase of Economic Enlightenment

This thread is for discussion of the emotional experience we go through as we as citizens learn about the true extent of what's going on in our society and how badly our economy has been managed.

Specifically, what I want to discuss is what I call The Anger Stage of Economic Enlighenment. In other words, after we begin with the Crash Course then continue to educate ourselves through the forums and the enrolled member area, we can easily (and with good justification) become angry at our system, its political leaders, the mainstream media, and even at our generation's (and our children's) prospects for life going forward.

I think what this really reveals is a basic problem we have in our society. I call it the inherent cynicism of awareness. The more you know, the more angry you can become at the system and its leaders for being that way. And although that can make you all the more prepared for what's coming over the horizon, it can also damage your state of happiness and wellbeing. Simply put, this stuff can be pretty depressing!

My hypothesis is that the more aware and cognizant of the true enormity of the situation people become, the more they get pissed off and dismayed by it all. Then they look around and see the sheeple buying the MSM story hook line and sinker. So they get bitter, jaded, and angry at the incompetence of government and the naivity of their fellow citizens. That makes them even more pissed off, and even more cynical and jaded. This holds true for many of the prophets and pundits we know, and for regular folk like us as well.

So you start with a level headed guy who is smarter than the pack and "sees the whole picture". Witness early writings of "Tyler Durden", maybe if you're generous EARLY Max Kaiser, etc. But these guys spend their whole lives immersed in this crap and they get constant reinforcement of their own cynicism when the people around them refuse to "get it". Now you move on to the Gerald Celente stage - super smart guy, very prescient, but in the last year or so he's become so fed up that his commentary is noticably jaded and cynical. To those of us who know he's fundamentally right, we still like him and his style doesn't get to us. But unfortunately, to a naive newcomer, he just comes across as a naysayer who is down on everything. People who aren't already aware don't perceive the prescience of his message, and IMHO he's becoming less and less effective week by week because of this. The more that happens, the less people listen, and the more negative "people just don't get it" feedback the pundits get, making them even more cynical. Before you know it, a previously brilliant visionary who had a chance of really helping society becomes the next Alex Jones and has zero credibility with anyone who has a fully functioning brain, despite the fact that their core message is actually quite valid.

Chris Martenson stands out as an exception to the rule. He's somehow able to keep up his positive, mostly upbeat "We live in interesting times and have the opportunity to improve our future" perspective despite knowing more about how bad things really are than just about anyone. When I was helping Chris with the site, the more I learned the more pissed off I got. I was starting to "Go Jones". That wasn't helpful, and Chris has told me outright that he doesn't need help from cynics. At the time he first said that to me, I was in denial about the extent of my own anger. Now that I'm learning to let go of the frustration and focus on the situation and what can be done about it, I've come to see how right he was. I think this can happen to anyone, and similar to alcoholism it has that pesky characteristic that when you're actually going through it, you're prone to being in denial about your own situation. My experience is very clear to me. Now, in hindsight. At the time I had no idea what Chris' problem was.

I think this affects a lot of us on this site more than we realize. I am referring to myself as evidence of that phenomenon, but I'm convinced it extends to other regulars here as well. My good friend Davos, please don't take this the wrong way but I've been a little worried about you lately. You come across as being just as angry and cynical as I was 6 months ago. At the time I would have denied it if someone told me that's what was going on with me. In fact, Chris did tell me exactly that and I did deny it at the time. I can now tell you that my experience has been much better since I learned to let go of those emotions and just accept that our predicament just is what it is. Yes, it really sucks that most of the sheeple have no idea how badly they are being manipulated or how far down the debt laden path of exponential money we have already gotten ourselves. But getting yourself into an unappy mindset as a result isn't helping anything.

Please don't anyone take offense. I don't mean to accuse Davos or anyone else of anything. All I'm saying is that in my own experience, I got so mad about what is happening to my country (ok, my former country now) that I was loosing my cool and making myself unhappy. I probably shouldn't be projecting my own experiences onto others, but frankly I'm convinced I'm not the only one here who has suffered from the syndrome I describe. I've noticed quite a few of the regular site members recently exhibiting signs of stress, cynicism and a general sense of pointlessness about the system or fixing it. That's not a good recipe for mental health.

Think of it this way: There's plenty of good reason to question whether "the good life" where Americans can enjoy the highest lifestyle on earth will continue much longer after the next phase of the crash. So this is no time to be unhappy or cynical! Enjoy life as much as you possibly can now, and take advantage of life's best recreations. Enjoy your personal freedom as much as you possibly can. Later on, you might not be able to, and you might wish you'd used this time to enjoy all the good things in life and to celebrate happiness in general while you still had the chance!

This thread is for open discussion of how we are all affected by being enlightened about the true nature of our economic predicament. Let's try to make it a supportive discussion where we help one another cope with what can be some very emotionally difficult material.

All the best,

Erik

Subprime JD's picture
Subprime JD
Re: The Anger Phase of Economic Enlightenment

My hypothesis is that the more aware and cognizant of the true enormity of the situation people become, the more they get pissed off and dismayed by it all. Then they look around and see the sheeple buying the MSM story hook line and sinker. So they get bitter, jaded, and angry at the incompetence of government and the naivity of their fellow citizens. That makes them even more pissed off, and even more cynical and jaded. This holds true for many of the prophets and pundits we know, and for regular folk like us as well.

I agree with your hypothesis. It truly is frustrating when you know the outcome and can do nothing to stop it because no one else around you is willing to learn or do anything about it. Its perfectly natural to be angry about this, but chris is right when he says that he doesnt need any cynics help.

The least we can do is educate people about the reality of things. If we come across as cynical and pessimistic, then we turn people away. A dose of anger is neccesary, but just a small portion, I believe.

Personally, I feel that I have overcome the anger/depression phase and have moved on to acceptance. Perhaps the fact that my family has suffered many deaths has made me into a strong person. Ive said goodbye to so many young cousins, uncles, friends, that my perspective of things has been altered for good. Ive watched my grandparents cry over the grave of their grandchild, alongside with the father of the child. Truly sad things. At the age of 27 ive been to over a dozen funerals for people under the age of 25. Greece has one of the highest road death rates in the world. In addition, my biblical perspective on life also helps me accept bad things. The bible basically says that life will suck, people will be corrupt, and when "rulers are corrupt the people suffer".

Bottom line, we only have so much time on this planet. People lived through the civil war, the depression, both world wars, the black death of Europe, and disaster after disaster. We must accept this and move on. Get as many people on board because in the end we will feel better when our community grows.

JAG's picture
JAG

Great post Erik, thanks for taking the time to compose it as thoughtfully as you have.

I get caught in the anger-trap repeatedly. In fact, its the reason that my wife and I decided to not subscribe to Dr.M's service unless there was a pressing reason for it (i.e. market drama). Constant exposure to "reality" is hard on the emotion processing mechanism. Anger has a way of morphing into vanity as well, which is another roadblock in the ability to respond effectively to unfolding events.

It is our responsibility (Response-Ability) to remain open to the people and events in our environment, and you can't do that if your trapped by your emotions.

Thanks again for the timely, and much needed post IMO.

Best...Jeff

James Wandler's picture
James Wandler

Erik,

Morpheus started a similar forum that had good traffic called "The Burden of Knowing" which is another aspect of the cycle of emotions that we deal with.  Chris contributed his thoughts here:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/74994#comment-74994

In my opinion we will continue to cycle of through these emotions (denial, anger, bargaining, fear, depression) until we start down the path beyond acceptance to becoming a Spiritual Creative as per David Korten's book "The Great Turning".  I still struggle but less each day so I know I'm moving in the right direction. 

At this time of writing my suggested direction for others would be to read the following books: "from Science to God: a Physicist's Journey into the Mystery of Consciousness" by Peter Russell (This book is short and easily understood and a great introduction to the books I list next.  ashvinp, thanks for the direction in the above forum post #51.), "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose" by Eckhart Tolle, and "Why is God Laughing: The Path to Joy and Spiritual Optimism" by Deepak Chopra.

A complementary strategy would be to spread awareness in your community.  In the same linked forum above Coop Kessell comments about how he was able to deal with his anger in the following post by holding public screenings of the Crash Course:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/comment/75078#comment-75078

Cheers,

James

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Let anger go, help people see choices more clearly

Anger is a signal that something's crowding you in an unwelcome way.  Take note, let it go and respond in a way that builds because otherwise your light fades.

Others need that light in order to find the way.

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

It   all comes down to what you treasure .

deggleton's picture
deggleton
Re: Let anger go, help people see choices more clearly
deggleton wrote:

Anger is a signal that something's crowding you in an unwelcome way.

An afterthought:

Two meanings of crowding:

- in your personal space

- giving you a number, taking away your name

Both work there.

land2341's picture
land2341

This for me is not a linear thing.  It is cyclical and partly responsive to the current news.

I try really hard to focus on the day to death growth and well being of my children.  Sometimes I get scared or worried because it is all so unpredictable   I mean,  we all know it is going down,  but truly we don't know how or when.  It astonished me how long they have managed to keep this zombie rolling and I suspect they could do it for a good while longer.

My problem is keeping the worry away from the kids.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Good stuff Erik

I agree with most of what your wrote but would like to add a couple things.  There is emotional anger, which is natural when one feels betrayal, loss or insult.  This usually is not constructive as it may cloud your thinking and cause one to over-react or to do something foolish.  Or to take on a negative attitude that detracts from our and the lives of those around us.

And there is righteous anger or indignation which I think is based on real and ongoing injustices, threats and attacks on our, and our families, survival and well being.  This form may be a powerful motivator, the juice, to help one to rise to meet great challenges.

No doubt, both forms are present in varying degrees as we discover that the world is much different than we have been told.  And it is crazy as hell...as Michael Ellner said "Just look at us.  Everything is backwards; everything is upside down.  Doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality."  And on top of that, we are being systematically looted.

It can be hard to tell which way things are meant when we type instead of talk.  Sometimes, funny cynicism may be mistaken for cold anger.  

I think there is another element that should be mentioned.  When we witness things that we know are criminal, don't we have some responsibility?  Like Einstein said "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."

Anyways, I am trying to find more balance in my life and look forward to what others may think. 

Larry   

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater

In my experience, anger is often a coverup for pain. It simply hurts to see how badly we've all been betrayed. James Wandler (above) is quite right to quote the cycles of grief. We're grieving our innocence and what might have been.

My journey to the sad acceptance of where we as a nation are financially and where we are headed came through many channels over many years. It's been like watching a loved one with a chronic, long-term fatal illness slowly dwindle. Sometimes I get angry at the disease our country seems to be afflicted with: ignorance, willful ignorance or unintentional ignorance. I see neighbors who are so invovled in their entertainments or careers that they haven't taken the time to write letters to the editors or to politicians--not that anyone seems to be listening--or to vote.

What I sometimes have trouble dealing with is all the poor, the children and the elderly who are going to suffer as things change. The most vulnerable members of our society will be hurt the worst.

It's why you see me on the gardening threads here, a lot. I don't feel angry if I can do something positive. If I can share not only produce but how to grow food, seeds, and hope, maybe it might make a small difference.

Right now I am recovering from a hip replacement and I've had to stop even following the financial markets for a while. It gets me so upset it interferes with my getting well. And then I feel guilty that I am not keepig up on it and not doing more to get the news across to my family and neighbors. No matter how sick I am, I should be able to do more. Sometimes, anger can turn inward and be harmful to us. I have to keep reminding myself that I can only do so much. Being angry with myself does not help anyone.

Saffron's picture
Saffron
Re: Let anger go, help people see choices more clearly
deggleton wrote:

Anger is a signal that something's crowding you in an unwelcome way.  Take note, let it go and respond in a way that builds because otherwise your light fades.

Others need that light in order to find the way.

I love how you worded this. We all know that others, children and spouses especially ;), won't hear the message when it's said in anger. But the visualization of thinking of yourself as a light illuminating the way might help ease the frustration that makes us want to rage the message out.

My husband can get very cynical - ironic since it took him a very long time to believe all this himself - but now he gets frustrated when others don't. I notice that even I don't want to hear the message when he is being cynical, even when I agree with it. 

V's picture
V

I am sorry folks I intend on hanging on to my anger. Our emotions are what make us fully human. Many on this site are strict rationalists and are primarily interested in charts and markets. That is cool.

There are a few New age types here that think if we all just ate enough wheat germ things would be fine. That is cool.

I fully intend to hang on to my anger , joy, greed , lust, excitement, etc to experience a fully human existence. Our emotions are the cutting edge of our growth. 

V

Tim_P's picture
Tim_P

I continue to struggle with anger and peace with this situation.  Every story that comes out about how the elites have screwed us once again does make me mad.  Then, sometimes I can get to that place that accepts the situation and focus's on getting through it.  Then, comes yet another story and it just gets me down. 

Right now, I see myself as being on the Titanic.  The last life boats have left, I've secured a life preserver and am now sitting down to listen to the band play a little longer.  The physical preparations are mostly made for the trial that's to come and I need to continue to work on the mental preparations.  It still pisses me off to see the half empty boats paddling away, but I'm close to accepting it and saving energy for the coming swim.

Maybe I need to meditate a bit more...

Tim

Full Moon's picture
Full Moon

I am over the mad  stage  and on to  building the ARK .  Told everyone ... they think I am a nut . So it is my family and a few others that are  building like crazy  before God  shuts  the door and the rain  pours .

r's picture
r

You can't be angry and enlightened at the same time.

ao's picture
ao
r wrote:

You can't be angry and enlightened at the same time.

I'd respectfully disagree.  Refer back to Larry's post on emotional anger vs. righteous anger. Jesus demonstrated righteous anger when he drove the money changers out of the temple and I'd definitely consider him enlightened.. 

r's picture
r
ao wrote:

I'd respectfully disagree.  Refer back to Larry's post on emotional anger vs. righteous anger. Jesus demonstrated righteous anger when he drove the money changers out of the temple and I'd definitely consider him enlightened..

But is anger righteous if it's useless?

ao's picture
ao
r wrote:
ao wrote:

But is anger righteous if it's useless?

If it's righteous, it isn't useless.

deggleton's picture
deggleton
V wrote:

I am sorry folks I intend on hanging on to my anger. Our emotions are what make us fully human.

I fully intend to hang on to my anger , joy, greed , lust, excitement, etc to experience a fully human existence. Our emotions are the cutting edge of our growth.

You might have misunderstood what I wrote.  I did not say, and did not mean, don't feel anger!  I did say let it go and do something constructive in response to it.

Anger will undoubtedly arise in each of us again and again.  If you hang on to it, of what will you be full?

I'd have you choose responses that build and make your light brighter.

David

JAG's picture
JAG

How many millions of people have died in the name of "righteousness"? 

There is nothing righteous about being righteous.

Right and wrong imply a subject and object.

Enlightenment is the absence of a subject and object.

V's picture
V

Oh really???????????????

V

ao's picture
ao
JAG wrote:

How many millions of people have died in the name of "righteousness"? 

There is nothing righteous about being righteous.

Right and wrong imply a subject and object.

Enlightenment is the absence of a subject and object.

How many millions have died from lack of breath?  There is nothing breaktaking about breathing.

This makes about as much sense.  You're either joking or drinking, right?

califls's picture
califls

Anger is just an emotion.  Use to the energy to FOCUS into completing something worthwhile for you, your family and your community.

SteveW's picture
SteveW

I believe I was angry when I discovered Santa Claus was an adult's fiction used to entertain children.

Very much more recently I learned the truth of our debt money system which similarly is used to entertain the sheep. Given what the major religions have to say about usury I suspect that the original financiers knew what they were doing with their plan to conquer the world. That makes me angry. My anger derives from the contravention of the statement; "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal," a socialist phrase if I ever saw one, if you'll pardon the political interpretation.

My anger is not bitterness but rather sadness, since I see things as they are and know how they could be.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus

Great thread. 

MAN did I go through some anger in the last 5 years. Yes, 5 years, even before the bubble burst. Mine started in 2005 upon realization of another issue (which I believe to be related but won't discuss here). 

It got so bad that I left another website. I considered them all blind, became so cynical and jaded, that I started to treat them like garbage. Contempt is the emotion that best described it. 

By the time I arrived here, I had cooled off about 90%, but still got into a rare exchange or two (I remember two with JAG, sorry buddy, that was me, not you). 

Then something just "happened". I realized that I couldn't carry the weight of the Earth on my shoulders and just "let go". It was like accepting that I was terminal or something like that. 

It wasn't until THAT happened that I was able to truly think clearly and rationally. Before that, I started to buy into a lot of baseless conspiracy models (let me be clear, there ARE conspiracies out there, just that not everything is a conspiracy), which further jaded my thinking. Now, like any other inquiry, I step back and use logic and reason to evaluate the veracity of a claim. Now I'd guess, that 90% of the claims out there are completely bogus where before I'd have bought into maybe half of them.  

I swear, it's like the 5 stages of grief and until you reach the acceptance stage, you are of no use to anyone, especially yourself. 

I still have my anger days. But I no longer have those "near fits of rage" days. I believe that because of that transfornation, I am able to see things more clearly, and be more productive in my reactions to issues of the day. 

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

I don't mind saying it...I hope the people here in the U.S. and freedom lovers everywhere begin to rise up in righteous anger and indignation in saying "hell no" to the ongoing injustice and attacks on our families.  Appeasement and reason won't work with the small group of criminals and psychopaths who will continue with their wanton crimes against humanity in the quest for total domination.  It is startling to discover that we are under attack by an organized group of thugs...and they are winning.

My experience and belief is that most people are good and work towards truth, virtue, honesty, security, harmony, love, compassion, creativity, good will, joy and happiness - all powerful and positive energies.  People, especially parents, will unselfishly sacrifice and fight if necessary, in order to secure these things for the friends and family members that we love.  If stirred or trampled...these become the sinews of righteous anger and indignation which I think includes an important spiritual element. 

I can see that many of you are being motivated by this high calling and I would urge you to embrace it.  Don't medicate or hide it. 

The only reason why the world is falling into chaos is that we collectively allow it to happen.

Larry

Tim_P's picture
Tim_P

I think I'm close to acceptance.  I've been angry about the economy, the government, the banking industry and a failing marriage and think I'm about done being angry.  The various situations are what they are and it is up to me to wade through them to the best of my ability.  I'm not completely there yet, but do think I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Tim

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments