Aladdin Lamp Info

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
Status: Gold Member (Offline)
Joined: Mar 16 2011
Posts: 259
Aladdin Lamp Info

Last night I filled my Aladdin lamp a little too full and I think that the kerosene expanded when it heated up causing the flame to get too large.  I was reading my Kindle at the time and did not notice until there were three really large soot deposits on the mantle.  I let it cool down and attempted to clean the mantle with a small artist paint brush - with disasterous results.

Wondering what went wrong I did a Google search and came upon a very nice information link that I would like to share.

http://www.aladdinlamps.info/burning.htm

BTW - the power outage is heading into night number seven with a projected drop in temperature to the low 20's.  More opportunity to practice

My neighbor's generator blew a bearing last night, cutting off my water resupply mechanism.  I had been supplying my workplace with five gallons of water per day as our Poland Springs ran out (heaven forbid making coffe with tap water).  

Being the McGyver of our neighborhood the neighbor has two generators in case of something like this happening, but I am holding onto toady's jug of water so I don't end up with only one five gallon bottle and no refill.

Of course I could go buy some at the store, but that is cheating

One thing that has struck me during this week is that all of the supplies that are making this 18th century life style enjoyable were not available in the 18th century and are not at all sustainable (except for the wood stove).  Propane grill, Aladdin lamp, Surefire headlamp and batteries, water from my neighbor's gas generator.

I suppose I should be practicing getting water from the pond and using the Big Berkey, but there is only so much one can put up with at one time.  In a real situation I would not have to go to work for 8 hours every day and would have more time for that stuff.

Joe

 

 

 

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Status: Diamond Member (Offline)
Joined: Apr 15 2010
Posts: 1322
Tip

Joe

I once touched a used mantle and it immediatly disintegrated into dust.  To clean the glass globe or chimney wipe it with a sheet of newspaper.  It works even better if the paper has been smeared in the ashes of a campfire.  The glass will be crystal clear with no soap or water needed.  It sounds counter intuitive, but it works.

Travlin 

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Status: Martenson Brigade Member (Offline)
Joined: Aug 16 2008
Posts: 834
joesxm2011 wrote: BTW - the
joesxm2011 wrote:

BTW - the power outage is heading into night number seven with a projected drop in temperature to the low 20's.  More opportunity to practice

My neighbor's generator blew a bearing last night, cutting off my water resupply mechanism.  I had been supplying my workplace with five gallons of water per day as our Poland Springs ran out (heaven forbid making coffe with tap water).  

Being the McGyver of our neighborhood the neighbor has two generators in case of something like this happening, but I am holding onto toady's jug of water so I don't end up with only one five gallon bottle and no refill.

Of course I could go buy some at the store, but that is cheating

One thing that has struck me during this week is that all of the supplies that are making this 18th century life style enjoyable were not available in the 18th century and are not at all sustainable (except for the wood stove).  Propane grill, Aladdin lamp, Surefire headlamp and batteries, water from my neighbor's gas generator.

I suppose I should be practicing getting water from the pond and using the Big Berkey, but there is only so much one can put up with at one time.  In a real situation I would not have to go to work for 8 hours every day and would have more time for that stuff.

Joe

 

Same for me...its starting to wear on me now, mentally. I was hoping for a dry run, of say 2 or 3 days, and instead, I got a whole week. Oh well. I have a generator, and it's great to have it, but to run it with gasoline is very expensive! I only run it in the morning and at night, after work. I'm glad I covered my firewood when I did. I've had to set a fire each night for heat. Hopefully today or tomorrow I get the power back. I'm really hoping the utility company starts cutting down trees near the powerlines. We're overrun with trees in CT!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments