The Administration's rebuke of Israel

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
CB's picture
CB
The Administration's rebuke of Israel

The Asia Times is running two articles about the flap with Israel over settlements in East Jerusalem. The first, by Spengler, suggests that the real issue is the desire of Israel to strike Iran's nuclear facilities:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/LC16Ak01.html

While the second simply takes the flap at face value an discusses the Administration's Israel policy:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/LC16Ak02.html

While some plauseable reasons for the harsh reaction are given - mainly that security problems in the region are heightened by the settlement policy - it doesn't explain why the Israelis chose this moment to jerk Obama's chain in this fashion.  Spengler's article has the feel of a better/fuller explanation of why Obama would feel required to pick a fight right now, although just how Israel would carry out a strike without American support is not entirely clear - were those bunker-buster bombs delivered to Israel yet?

His article begins:

Quote:

The chess-masters of Tehran have played a single combination for the past five years: threaten America's flanks in Iraq and Afghanistan in order to gain control of the center of the board, that is, by pushing on with a nuclear program that many suspect is designed to acquire nuclear weapons.

Iran has sufficient assets in the territory of its troubled neighbors to make a shambles of America's Potemkin village. Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki may be able to govern Iraq with a third of the seats contested in the March 7 parliamentary elections, provided that Iran's allies such as Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr permit him to do so. And the appearance of Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad in Kabul on March 10 to declare hissolidarity with Afghanistan's beleaguered President Hamid Karzai planted Iran's flag in the midst of Afghan politics.

Iran will succeed, unless another player kicks over the chessboard. Israeli officials report that American officials are visiting Jerusalem - including Vice President Joseph Biden last week - to warn Israel against launching an attack on Iran. "They're not talking about the Palestinians, they're only talking about Iran," commented the head of one Israeli political party.

That explains the exceptionally harsh, even adversarial tone that Washington has taken towards Israel, supposedly in response to last week's go-ahead for 1,600 apartments in East Jerusalem, but evidently in anticipation of an Israeli attack on Iran.

The author refers to a Feb article he wrote on the subject that is worth reading to get a sense of his position - one that may well have considerble sympathy within the Israeli government:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/LB18Ak01.html

Quote:

It seems clear that the administration of US President Barack Obama never will use force against Iran, despite the Iranian regime's open contempt for Washington and the international community. US Secretary of State Clinton this week responded with a direct "no" - not "all options are on the table" - when asked if America was planning a military strike.

During a February 16 visit to Saudi Arabia, Clinton talked about responses to Iran as if America had already decided that Iran was developing nuclear weapons, something Tehran vigorously denies. Clinton was quoted as saying that the "evidence doesn't support" Iran's claim it is pursuing a peaceful nuclear program.

Israel has a strategic problem broader than the immediate issue of Iran's possible acquisition of nuclear weapons: it is an American ally at a moment when America has effectively withdrawn from strategic leadership. That leaves Israel at a crossroads. It can act like an American client state, or a regional superpower. Either decision would have substantial costs. To remain in Washington's pocket is to show weakness and invite the contempt of its adversaries; to ignore Washington's demands would incur the wrath of its most important financier and arms suppliers and possibly result in a reduction of aid.

Without inside knowledge I can't pass judgment on Spengler's assertion about the settlement flap, but if it is correct it suggests a dangerous and volatile situation is developing  - a crazy wildcard.

The Bush administration's failure to quickly finish the two (ill advised IMO) wars it started has left the US with few options, all of them shades of bad - stuck on a tarbaby - particularly given the world financial situation.

docmims's picture
docmims
Re: The Administration's rebuke of Israel

Bunker Busters are delivered.  Time to distance ourselves for plausible deniability.

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

The Petraeus briefing: Biden’s embarrassment is not the whole story  - On Jan. 16, two days after a killer earthquake hit Haiti, a team of senior military officers from the U.S. Central Command (responsible for overseeing American security interests in the Middle East), arrived at the Pentagon to brief Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Adm. Michael Mullen on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The team had been dispatched by CENTCOM commander Gen. David Petraeus to underline his growing worries at the lack of progress in resolving the issue. The 33-slide, 45-minute PowerPoint briefing stunned Mullen. The briefers reported that there was a growing perception among Arab leaders that the U.S. was incapable of standing up to Israel, that CENTCOM's mostly Arab constituency was losing faith in American promises, that Israeli intransigence on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict was jeopardizing U.S. standing in the region...

"This is starting to get dangerous for us," Biden reportedly told Netanyahu. "What you're doing here undermines the security of our troops who are fighting in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. That endangers us and it endangers regional peace." Yedioth Ahronoth went on to report: "The vice president told his Israeli hosts that since many people in the Muslim world perceived a connection between Israel's actions and US policy, any decision about construction that undermines Palestinian rights in East Jerusalem could have an impact on the personal safety of American troops fighting against Islamic terrorism." The message couldn't be plainer: Israel's intransigence could cost American lives.

Israel does not want a peace settlement, they want to drive off the remaining Palestinians.  It is long past time for the United States to untangle itself from the middle east by removing our troops from Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.  We are there to protect Israeli interests - not to protect our own interests.  American soldiers are being killed, wounded and sickened physically and mentally in wars that are illegal and without any justification.

With "allies" like Israel, we don't need any enemies.  Our nation is totally bankrupt but yet we continue these expensive and inhumane occupations while giving Israel billions in foreign aid.  When is it enough?

Larry 

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Ominous signs plague Biden's Middle East visit  - complete Reuters article

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - In the region where symbolism may matter most, the signs for U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's visit were inauspicious. 

The first sign of trouble in Israel came when Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu presented Biden with a glass-framed gift honouring his mother.  I have one thing to offer you right now and it's broken glass," Netanyahu said at discovering the shards he was holding. Biden cautioned: "Don't cut yourself."  The prime minister inadvertently shattered the glass when he put his elbows down on the podium, spokesman Mark Regev said.

In Judaism, broken glass is often thought to be a reminder of an imperfect world, and many say the Jewish wedding tradition of stomping on a glass is an expression of sadness at the destruction of the ancient Temple in Jerusalem.

At a later tour of Israel's Holocaust memorial museum, Yad Vashem, the lights in the "Hall of Remembrance" unexpectedly went out as a prayer for those killed was chanted, catching Biden's security detail by surprise.

"It's the Middle East," said an unfazed senior White House adviser, a veteran of Israeli-Palestinian negotiations. "It could mean anything."  An Israeli expert of Jewish mysticism, known as Kabballah, said Biden's visit came at a time "when there is tremendous energy" before the Passover holiday that starts later this month, marking the biblical escape of the Jews from Egypt.

"It could be something negative, like what is referred to as the 'evil eye'," said the expert, who declined to be named. "But in Kabballah, we also believe that sometimes before a great light is revealed, there have to be a series of disturbances."

"When the United States doesn't play its cards right, it gets a gift of broken glass," he said, noting that "one of the plagues in Egypt was darkness.

This is getting way too crazy...here we are in the 21st century fighting religious wars.   If my fellow Amnericans want to continue killing muslims they should do so at their own expense and danger and not under the U.S. flag.

V's picture
V

Larry 

Unfortunately it is a little more complex. Israel was established by  the International banking cartel (ie. Rothschilds)  which as you well know owns us.

The Knesset building and the Israeli Supreme Court building were built by the Rothschilds. No one gets elected president of the US without first genuflecting before AIPAC. US foreign policy is well out of the hands of the American people and has been for some time.

V

CB's picture
CB

V, the issue for me is not affecting US foreign policy but trying to read the tea leaves. It may be that the US has told Israel that if they want US support for an attack on Iran they must make progress on the Palestinian issue - and the settlement policy now being pursued makes that impossible. Maybe the Saudis have pressed this point and the US military now agrees. Perhaps there is some sentiment building within Israel that they should just go it alone and expect that if they act the US will have to back them up. A significant change in the settlement policy might not be possible for the current Israeli government - any attempt to do so may cause its ruling coalition to fall apart.

The tension seems to have escalated over the past two days.

sjmvideo's picture
sjmvideo
V wrote:

Larry 

Unfortunately it is a little more complex. Israel was established by  the International banking cartel (ie. Rothschilds)  which as you well know owns us.

The Knesset building and the Israeli Supreme Court building were built by the Rothschilds. No one gets elected president of the US without first genuflecting before AIPAC. US foreign policy is well out of the hands of the American people and has been for some time.

V

Uggh. I was afraid somebody would say something like that. I don't know much of the history. But I'm not at all surprised about the connections.

S

V's picture
V

SJM

I am sorry to bring this info to your attention. However what follows is the Readers Digest version of the Cliff notes on the Balfour Declaration.

The Balfour Declaration was actually crafted by Lord Alfred Milner. It really matters little because they were both founding members of Cecil Rhodes'  Round Table Group. That is the group which sired the Council of Foreign Relations. The CFR gives the marching orders to any American administration. 

The Balfour Declaration of 1917 (dated 2 November 1917) was a formal statement of policy by theBritish government stating that

"His Majesty's government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavors to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country."[1]

The declaration was made in a letter from Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour to Baron Rothschild(Walter Rothschild, 2nd Baron Rothschild), a leader of the British Jewish community, for transmission to the Zionist Federation of Great Britain and Ireland, a Zionist organization. The letter reflected the position of the British Cabinet, as agreed upon in a meeting on 31 October 1917. It further stated that the declaration is a sign of "sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations."

The statement was issued through the efforts of Chaim Weizmann and Nahum Sokolow, the principal Zionist leaders based in London; as they had asked for the reconstitution of Palestine as “the” Jewishnational home the declaration fell short of Zionist expectations.[2]

The "Balfour Declaration" was later incorporated into the Sèvres peace treaty with Turkey and the Mandate for Palestine. The original document is kept at the British Library.

The anniversary of the declaration, 2 November, is widely commemorated in Israel and among Jews in the Jewish diaspora as Balfour Day.

CB

Sorry but anything you see in the media in regards to Israel and US relations is nothing more than a dog and pony show. 62 years of US support of whatever Israel wants to do and the US supply of arms is just the past and current story of the relationship which will continue till Israel disappears from the pages of history.

The capitol of the nation called the US is one of three city states under the control the international banking cartel. Washington is the military center of this empire. London is the financial center and the Vatican is the religious center. These three places are not a part of the countries which surround them.

The US will play this role until it is no longer able to continue then another state will take it's place. 

V

earthwise's picture
earthwise
V wrote:

...........and the Vatican is the religious center.

V

V,

I've never heard this before. Could you elaborate?

sjmvideo's picture
sjmvideo

No need to be sorry V.

I appreciate the information. 

V's picture
V

Earthwise

In the interest of not hijacking this thread or at least taking it down the rabbit hole, I suggest you 

search the internet for the three city states Washington, London and the Vatican. You will 

find over 500k entries on Google. It is interesting reading. Of course this is coming from a conspiracy theorist. And a historian.

After that you may wish to investigate the Mall in Nashville Tn.

V

rowmat's picture
rowmat

Here you go...

The Trinity of Global Empire

I posted this several months back and it was assigned to 'the dungeon'.

V wrote:

Earthwise

In the interest of not hijacking this thread or at least taking it down the rabbit hole, I suggest you 

search the internet for the three city states Washington, London and the Vatican. You will 

find over 500k entries on Google. It is interesting reading. Of course this is coming from a conspiracy theorist. And a historian.

After that you may wish to investigate the Mall in Nashville Tn.

V

RogerA's picture
RogerA

If you want to see more from the supreme court have a look at this page, make up your own mind.

http://siyasipakistan.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/sinister-sites-–-israeli-supreme-court/

Is it a coincidence that the pyramid look like the one on the dollar bill?

On a sidenote: The motto of the Mossad certainly explains a lot.

“By Way Of Deception, Thou Shalt Do War.”

Mephi's picture
Mephi

DrKrbyLuv there is one other major consideration in response to your comment:

"This is getting way too crazy...here we are in the 21st century fighting religious wars.   If my fellow Amnericans want to continue killing muslims they should do so at their own expense and danger and not under the U.S. flag."

In about 1990 I had a public radio discussion about our support for Israel with a retired State Department employee of thirty years (he claimed). At that time 99% of callers agreed with your position; I disagreed. I told him my reasons were that if the US withdrew military support the enemies of Israel would again try to wipe them out. In 1948 that might not have personal implications for me or you, but today it does. I told this former emplyee of the State Department that to my knowledge Israel possessed 200 nuclear weapons, and would use them before allowing themselves to be wiped out.

His reply was that from what he had seen the number was closer to 400. That was then.

If Israel is forced to use such weapons to insure its survival, we and the rest of the world will need to deal with the fallout. So the issue needs these questions answered:

1) Does Israel possess nuclear weapons? 2) Will their enemies attack them if the US withdraws military support? 3) Would Israel resort to the use of nukes if faced with defeat? 4) Are you and your children willing to live the literal fallout? 5) Is there another way to "punish" Israel without  going down this road?

DrKrbyLuv's picture
DrKrbyLuv

Hello Mephi, I sure don't have any expertise on the middle east but I'll try to answer your questions.

Mephi wrote:  1) Does Israel possess nuclear weapons?

Great question; unfortunately, no one seems to be able or willing to definitively answer.  Israel has not signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty or complied with any suggested inspections by the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency).

Israeli whistle-blower Mordechai Vanunu was convicted in Israel in 1986 after being kidnapped from Italy by the Mossad.  He was sentenced to 18 years for passing on information about Israel's clandestine nuclear program.   Vanunu worked as a technician at Israel's nuclear research facility, passed information along to a British newspaper that claim Israel accumulated a stockpile of nuclear weapons.  He is out of prison and talking again.

Pat Buchanan recently wrote that "Israel did not consult JFK on whether it could steal enriched uranium from the NUMEC plant in Pennsylvania for its atom bomb program."  That's an old story that I think has been well documented over the years.

Israel seems content to neither confirm nor deny that it has a nuclear weapons program.  This brings creditability issues against Israel in demanding that Iran submit to the IAEA inspections and compliance.  I think Israel should comply with international laws and inspections to clear up the matter.

Mephi wrote:  2) Will their enemies attack them if the US withdraws military support?

First, I'm not sure who Israel's enemies are anymore.  Saudi Arabia for example, may allow Israel's use of air space to launch attacks on Iran.  We occupy Iraq and Afganistan.  Egypt seems to be cooperating with the blockading and isolation of the Palestinians.  Syria, Iran and Lebanon may be enemies as they are sympathetic with the plight of the Palestinians but I don't seem them, even with Jordan, being much of a threat to Israel.  The Muslim world doesn't seem to be the homogeneous group they once may have been.

Mephi wrote:  3) Would Israel resort to the use of nukes if faced with defeat?

I think that is why any nation that goes through the expense of acquiring nuclear weapons, ultimate security.  

Mephi wrote:  4) Are you and your children willing to live the literal fallout?

Not my choice.  But I do think my children would be much safer if the United States stopped occupying foreign nations and had a more balanced approach to the middle east.  I think the U.S. has committed crimes against humanity in killing more than a million Iraqis over bogus claims of WMDs.  This is very destabilizing and dangerous for the world and all Americans in my opinion.

Mephi wrote:  5) Is there another way to "punish" Israel without  going down this road?

I don't think we have the right or the authority to punish Israel for pursuing their own agenda.  I would prefer that we begin to decouple from foreign entanglements that do not serve the interests or safety of our country.  Thomas Jefferson said "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations--entangling alliances with none, I deem [one of] the essential principles of our government, and consequently [one of] those which ought to shape its administration...On the subject of treaties, our system is to have none with any nation, as far as can be avoided... We believe that with nations as with individuals, dealings may be carried on as advantageously, perhaps more so, while their continuance depends on a voluntary good treatment..."

I absolutely agree with Jefferson and think we should eliminate trade treaties (NAFTA, GATT, WTO) and begin withdrawing from security packs with other nations, including Israel.  We are playing a dangerous and financially ruinous game of "king of the world" whereby we think our intervention and might will bring peace by regime change and destruction.  This is going to blow up in our faces. 

Larry

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments