Adding subtitles to the crash course / localizing it

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
tarmo's picture
tarmo
Adding subtitles to the crash course / localizing it

As a reader from Finland I was thinking that the message would spread more efficiently if the crash course video had subtitles in it, as you currently can have in YouTube, or DotSub. Has Chris given any thought to this?

I'd be happy to do subtitles into my language, and I bet there would be others volunteering for other languages. Chris could then just collect the sit files and use them. This of course requires that the flash player he uses can handle subtitles. Any chance of that?

Another option would be to provide a translated audio track as a replacement for Chris's voice. This might be popular in many European countries where all English tv programs are dubbed, although in Finland we'd prefer subtitles.

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
Re: Adding subtitles to the crash course / localizing it
Great idea, Tarmo.  I would love to discuss the possibility of a Finnish translation with you.  Look for an e-mail from me regarding this.  Kiitoksia! 
JensL's picture
JensL

Any progress with this? I'm from Sweden and would like to produce Swedish subtitles for the DVD and/or online flash movies. As you already have added English subtitles it would be a relatively easy job to translate them. It is a lot worse to get the timing right without an original subtitle.

To add the subtitle to the DVD is probably a bigger job and the copyright agreement on the site states that it is not allowed to modify the DVD. What are your opinions here?

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman

Jens, if you are interested in pursuing a Swedish subtitled version, please contact Jeanine Dargis directly.  She is handling translations and subtitles.  Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments