Adam Curtis - The Trap

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Adam Curtis - The Trap

I've been putting these films into threads for a little while now. Adam Curtis is an award winning journalist who gets to the marrow of our past using period film. 'How' and 'When' was the system we live today put into place?

Thoroughly watchable and contraversial :-

Adam Curtis - Wikipedia :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Curtis

Part 1 - The Trap :-

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=404227395387111085&ei=vsCRSYy_IIjojgLPjdS8Cw&q=the+trap

Part 2 :-

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7470134968000083794&ei=gsKRSdLeL5OuiALX2dy3Cw&q=the+trap

Part 3 -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4486343328817737043&ei=-sKRSdrPLY2siALf-IjJCw&q=the+trap+part+3+of+3  

Enjoy - Comment - Provoke...

Paul 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Re: Adam Curtis - The Trap

The Observer adds  :-

"if there has been a theme in Curtis's work since, it has been to look at how different elites have tried to impose an ideology on their times, and the tragi-comic consequences of those attempts."

(edit)

...just had another flash of inspiration!! As a member of this site I can scroll down to the bottom of this page and, as I write, there are aproximately 54 members here and an amazing 422 visitors!!! Now if you 'Visitor', sign up (which will take you all of 2 minutes?) you'll get to comment on not just this thread, but a variety of diverse and inspiring 'Other' threads and, with the extra button at the top of this page called 'My Account', you'll keep ahead by knowing where you've been and know where you're going next time...

Go On, give it a go, your voice is needed - Break The Silence And Join In...Cool

Enjoy The Film,

Paul

Glaucus's picture
Glaucus
Re: Adam Curtis - The Trap

All that, and he ends up an advocate of "positive liberty"?

But no, as Bastiat said, "The law is negative."

For as Nock knew . . .

http://www.barefootsworld.net/nockoets0.html 

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Re:On The Road (1955)

Hi Glaucus,

Albert J Nock wrote of the product of 'It'. Jack Kerouac lived beyond and in the cause and effect of 'It', and my placing this film on its own thread is to discuss what side-effects its creation is still going to perform on society. It is like a snap shot of what is sick about the present and our immediate future; also a map for what changes need performing quickly. Maybe some still, believe that 'It' has been designed for just this purpose, where the word 'freedom' is being morphed into another meaning.

I'm not so sure that Adam Curtis could have modelled a better ending to what many would already say is a contraversial series of films or, a conclusion that didn't in effect draw upon something easy to digest. I also mean to say, Churchill would have maybe chosen this as a retort :-"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time". I don't really know how to comprehend so much cause and effect in these threads here either. From the sublime to the fantastic - On the one hand I'll put up Albert A Bartlett and 'The Most IMPORTANT Video You'll Ever See' and it is reduced to eugenics and the distruction and murder of billions of people. If I then put up a video called 'Statism Is Dead', I'll be told half way through by some old Kiwi dault that its a load of shit?

I suppose the underlying factor is that we're all different and, thank what ever God or fallacy for that.

In the meantime, have a look at this transcript and ask yourself whether it would be possible to splice 'The Trap' and this link together :-

http://freedomainradio.com/board/blogs/freedomain/archive/2008/11/26/true-news-13-statism-is-dead-part-3-the-matrix.aspx

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I've read Nock and can't fault him - proving that a very small group of people were listening then, as now... 

http://www.barefootsworld.net/nockoets0.html

Albert J Nock (1935)

" IF WE look beneath the surface of our public affairs, we can discern one fundamental fact, namely: a great redistribution of power between society and the State. This is the fact that interests the student of civilization. He has only a secondary or derived interest in matters like price-fixing, wage-fixing, inflation, political banking, "agricultural adjustment," and similar items of State policy that fill the pages of newspapers and the mouths of publicists and politicians. All these can be run up under one head. They have an immediate and temporary importance, and for this reason they monopolize public attention, but they all come to the same thing; which is, an increase of State power and a corresponding decrease of social power.

It is unfortunately none too well understood that, just as the State has no money of its own, so it has no power of its own. All the power it has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another; there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift or seizure, leaves society with so much less power. There is never, nor can there be, any strengthening of State power without a corresponding and roughly equivalent depletion of social power. "

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

One of my favourite travelling books was by Jack Kerouac, 'On The Road'. In those pages, you don't have to look too hard to find the changes happening around them with the political instruments building up toward its release to an astounded public in 1957. The controlling devices that his generation and the 'Baby Boomers' fought throughout the 60's, were fighting the very changes that they felt out of control of and, beyond a showdow of doubt, both generations have lost.

In 1984, Chris Challis published his book, 'Quest For Kerouac' and, page after page shows the squeezing out of individual freedom and the 'self police-ing' of the following generations coming into play :- 

Grand Central Station

" Bang in the heart of the smart and mythic Manhatten is the decline and decay of the city's public sector. Once the middle classes have opted out of it, it runs rapidly downhill, whether it is public schools, public health, or public transport. The American middle class lives in a condo with a private security guard to protect it from the threat upon which this great vaulted roof, constellations twinkling, looks down; the vista of itinerants, winos, and junkies - the underclass. The men's room, under-ground, has two notices. The first, in dead and dusty neon tubing, unlit for years: "Hats Cleaned and Blocked While You Wait." Facing it: "Loitering or Standing Prohibited. Violators Liable to Arrest." Standing still is a crime. "

The enthusiastic rapture I gained from the book so as to begin my travels 'on the road' from 19 and up through my 30's went beyond Baldock High Street, written about here :-

" Everyone I know remembers where they were when they read "On The Road"...because of the sudden sense of infinite possibility. You Could, just like that, get off out of it into infinite hitchhiking futures. Armed only with a duffle coat you could be listening to wild jazz on the banks of the Tyne or travelling east/west, across the Penines. Mostly we never actually went, or the beer wore off by Baldock High Street and you were sober and so cold. But we were able to recognise each other by that fine, wild, windy prose and the running away motif that made so much sense. (Oz Magazine) "

Part way through 'On The Road', Jack and Neil are delivering a 49' Hudson, driving from San Fran' to New York over 3 or 4 days. Part way through the trip they were stopped by Police Officers asking them where they were going. This was the first time this had ever happened to either of them. That they were being questioned as to where they felt they could freely travel. They could well have been imprisoned for vagrancy if it had been proven they had no money to support themselves.

As Jack Nicholson said in a film about a man who went looking for America (and couldn't find it anywhere), "they" will talk to you about freedom of the individual but show them a free individual and they'll get busy burning and lynching. :-

...defining freedom and a political ideal modelled on an allowance of critical thinking and individualism is going to take 3 more planets worth of oil and about another 14 generations to get it half figured out in my honest opinion. Time may well prove this correct...

Paul

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments