About French translation

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
nathlavallee38's picture
nathlavallee38
About French translation

Hi,

I've read the French translation of the Crash course. There is a big, big mistake...when referring to ''trillion'', it should not be translate as ''milliards'', but ''billion'', meaning ''mille milliards''...there is a big, big difference...I must admit that it's confusing, but I've double checked, and I'm right...the wordreference dictionnary (online) explain it..there is also a Forum, on this site, discussing about that...

Thanks, and congradulations about this documentary...I teach French and Economics and I'm also an activist...and I really appreciate the way things are explained. I'm posting it as much as I can...please do the same. It's a wake up call...

guardia's picture
guardia
Mille millions de mille milliards de mille sabords!

Hello, welcome to the site!

Actually, I think ''mille milliards'' is clearer than "billion", for the same reason that even English don't use "billion" to mean "trillion" anymore...

Even in Japan they had to teach on the evening news the other day a "new" unit (kei = 10^16 = ten quadrillions) to explain just how much radiation has been coming out of Fukushima. What a world... I wonder if they will teach it again next time when they report on the status of global hyperinflation Undecided

Samuel

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Long and short scales

Very confusing indeed. When I talk to my gather in France I have to convert in my head billions to milliards and trillions to billions... Surprised

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

nathlavallee38's picture
nathlavallee38
Yeap, as said previously,

Yeap, as said previously, it's very confusing...and it is probably the ''main goal''.....

nathlavallee38's picture
nathlavallee38
lol! Did you pick up this

lol! Did you pick up this expression in Tintin? Funny...I agree, they will probably invent new ''numbers'' to explain the hyperinflation and how we are in big trouble...or they won't, wanting us beeing confused...

guardia's picture
guardia
Re: lol! Did you pick up this

yes, from Tintin Laughing

Anyway, about fixing the translation, please send a private message to Adam or someone else that seems to have responsibility for that, because maybe the right person won't be reading this thread and the error won't get fixed. thanks!

Samuel

SailAway's picture
SailAway
What about French Canadians?

Which system do the the french Canadians use?

nathlavallee38's picture
nathlavallee38
Getting in touch with Adam

Thanks...but how can I get in touch with him?

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
You just did

I've just read this thread, nathlavallee38. Putting the wheels in motion to address...

(in the future, you can PM me through the site, or send me an email at [email protected])

guardia's picture
guardia
Re: What about French Canadians?
SailAway wrote:

System? We speak French, just like French doSmile: mille, million, milliard, mille milliards/billion/million de millions, (... what next? I have a feeling we will soon find out...)

It depends on people and their preferences

Samuel

SailAway's picture
SailAway
Catherine
guardia wrote:
SailAway wrote:

System? We speak French, just like French doSmile: mille, million, milliard, mille milliards/billion/million de millions, (... what next? I have a feeling we will soon find out...)

It depends on people and their preferences

Samuel

You speak French like French do ?? Surprised

Ever watch "Catherine" on TV5 (http://www.tv5.org/cms/chaine-francophone/programmes/p-80-s1-z5-lg3-CATHERINE.htm?prg_id=56299&) ?

"Ton chum a dit que ma ma blonde est platte", Laughing Sometime I'm glad to have captioning ;-)

guardia's picture
guardia
SailAway wrote: You speak
SailAway wrote:

You speak French like French do ?? Surprised

Ever watch "Catherine" on TV5 (http://www.tv5.org/cms/chaine-francophone/programmes/p-80-s1-z5-lg3-CATHERINE.htm?prg_id=56299&) ?

"Ton chum a dit que ma ma blonde est platte", Laughing Sometime I'm glad to have captioning ;-)

Oh, but this is not French! You will not find those words in any French dictionary. However, there are a lot of words that people living in Paris use that you will not find in any French dictionary either. For a sample of correct Canadian French, news at Radio-Canada http://www.radio-canada.ca/ is the best place I would think.

Samuel

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments