Cross Country Road Trip

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vilbas's picture
Vilbas
Cross Country Road Trip

So, my girlfriend and I decided to (more or less) quit our jobs and take a few months to see the country with our two dogs.  Getting out of Austin TX proved a bit more work than we originally planned so our pre-trip planning was somewhat lackluster.  That said, we managed to get our stuff sold and the rest into storage in time to start our trip a week early.  We are documenting our trip on a blog: www.thetravelinpack.com  If you do the social media stuff we also can be found on facebook and instagram under TheTravelinPack.

As it stands, we are in Atlanta seeing friends this week then camping near Asheville NC through Memorial Day weekend.  After that our trip is pretty wide open.  We are heading to the NYC area around June 9th and 10th but hope to be exploring New England shortly thereafter.  We'll eventually head towards Michigan where we have more friends, then to Wisconsin and towards South Dakota and the Rockies on to the Pacific Northwest.  

The goal of this trip was to see as much family and friends while also getting outside our comfort zone to meet new people, learn new things, and experience things we might never otherwise.  A big part of this for us was to learn how others across the country are living sustainable lives.  We may do some WOOFing along the way to help on that front.  Otherwise we will be camping and ever so often staying at hotels.

We would love to meet as many Peak Prosperity folks as possible on our journey!  You are exactly the people we want to be friends with and learn from.  We would love to see any and all off grid and/or farming set ups across the country.  We'd also love to learn about local geography/history/culture from locals.  

If anyone has a guest bedroom, a bunkhouse, camper or just great tent site that we could use we would be extremely appreciative.  If you have any projects you need help with, we'd love to help as well.  We have no problem trading work/help for hospitality! If all you can do is meet up for a couple of beers and conversation, we'd love to do that as well!

We are both 33 - I'm an attorney and Melissa is an ex-educator turned writer.  We have our two dogs with us, Xander and Jo, who are both well behaved and super friendly.

Neither one of us has ever done anything like this so we are still working out the issues with planning and coordinating everything.  I fully expect we'll be pros by the time we get few weeks into this trip so forgive me if we handle anything awkwardly for now.  That said, we'd love to meet as many of you as possible!  

Feel free to comment here, message me, or send us an email at [email protected]

We look forward to meeting you!

--Nick and Melissa

robshepler's picture
robshepler
Fun!

What a great thing to do at your age! It takes some guts to pull stakes and go on an adventure at any age really.

We are in the mountains of Southern New Mexico, would love to hear what you learn in your travels. I will PM you.

carollaporte's picture
carollaporte
Cross Country Road Trip

Hi, i am 

Carol Laporte

Just one think you went any trip your mind will be fresh and energetic. Your age 33 so what, i got a perfect experience of road trip that ways very enjoyable all the day long.yes

pyranablade's picture
pyranablade
Will see you

in Wisconsin.

The offer I made on a once-and-future farm was accepted. Maybe, hopefully, I'll be living there by the time you get to Wisconsin. Good luck in your travels!

lmcdel's picture
lmcdel
It will be an adventure!

I think it sounds fabulous, and would love to show you around and host you if possible, on the western slope of Colorado. We are in a small town known for its produce - lots of organic produce here! And the orchards so far are promising a great, fruit-laden summer! I know lots of small local farmers and would love to show you around and introduce you. I'll email you my contact info. Safe travels, and enjoy all our big beautiful country has to offer!

New_Life's picture
New_Life
Vehicle?

Great idea, free yourselves...

Had a quick look at your pics,  are you occasionally sleeping in your car, seen other blogs on folks that have done that in their Subaru Outback...

Michael_Rudmin's picture
Michael_Rudmin
Vilbas, is that Lithuanian?

Nick and Melissa,

I went ahead and read some of your blog.  Surprise -- I had thought you were coming from the West, but it appears you're going west from the East.

In the blog, it appears that Melissa doesn't like camping all that much, and I think this is an important learning point for everyone here.

The biggest mistake that people make in camping, is that they don't leave any time for camping.  They want to see, do, hike, travel... and they overbook themselves.  If you're going to camp, camping has to be an important part of your day, with a good block of time set aside for that.  For that reason, if you're going to go on a camping trip, my advice is to double up on tents, and go from one campsite, to the next, set up the other tent... then spend the night at the first campsite.  Then, pack up your first tent, and move on to the second.  At that time, you can also air out the unused tent to prevent mildew.

If we reach the EndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt, that is good advice for everyone else, then, too.  Don't move too fast:  move slower, and always have a selection of places to go to.

Second:  campsite selection.  If you want to avoid bugs, look for breezes.  If you want to avoid cold, accept bugs.  If you want a softer campsite, look for ferns and/moss -- but watch out if thunderstorms are coming:  you risk being flooded out.  You can always pick a site with few rocks, and then bring *in* moss from nearby,  To a large extent, you need to pick the disadvantages and match them against the current situation.  Learn to do that, and you'll do better.

Third, as you go I'd suggest learning about wild foods (don't make a mistake:  onions are not always edible...  sometimes such bulbs are incredibly poisonous.  Likewise for berries, mushrooms, and all....  get to KNOW and IDENTIFY foods before you eat them.  Check it against the locals.  Some berries, such as rubus, are safer than others.  Sometimes a food (such as Cactus, or a particular Corticarius mushroom of France) is known to be edible in restaurants and stores... but in fact severely damages an organ, or is only edible after correct processing (like t he yuca).  So it is important to learn and research before you try something new.  But in the process of learning to eat wild foods, you will start to conform more to the camping lifestyle. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments