Why This Past "Regular" From ChisMartenson.com (aka Peak Prosperity) Is Back Full Time

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Why This Past "Regular" From ChisMartenson.com (aka Peak Prosperity) Is Back Full Time

Greetings  & Salutations from all you folks out there from the old CM.com era, circa 2009-2011, when I was VERY active on this site. From 2012 to present, I must confess, I had become more than a little complacent, but the red flags that I am seeing, both in the geopolitical arena and the general economic sphere, are resonating with me as a weird sort of de je vue ala 2007. 

Some things just don't feel right out in the world now and that has been very much on my mind, to the point where I re subscribed to CM, err, PeakProsperity to discipline myself to prepare for some potential near future shocks. 

Why? 

Well, you have the Grexit situation looming, the Ukrainian time bomb, and restart of the Cold War, the domestic Police State roadmap going into 5th gear, and the crazy deflationary trends in commodities. The (IMO) unnatural crash in energy prices, which me thinks are an intentional manipulation in the greater game of international gamemanship (bankrupt Russia, anyone?) is also creeping me out. 

Plus I have been observing an even greater narcotized apathy of the general population to trends and events that would have set alarm bells off in generations past. 

I don't know how quite to communicate this, but something just doesn't feel "right" about the trajectory of 2015. So, can I have a sanity check please? Does anyone have this "gut feel" that this year is going to reveal a particularly nasty surprise in the geopolitical/geoeconomic domain? I mean WELL above and beyond the typical news. And if so, what are YOUR data points that make you also feel a bit queazy?

Thanks, 

Pete. Aka "Morpheus"

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Morpheus needs to grammar and

Morpheus needs to grammar and spell check so he does not come across as illiterate. cheeky

One more huge data point if the creation of the CIIPS bank (from China) which is a direct challenge to US dollar hegemony. Any watching that data point? That one is scary. 

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Welcome back, Morpheus

Yep, I think you are in good company re the gut feeling that the direction things are heading in 2015 is not good.  Many people here and on other like-minded sites are saying the same thing; that they can't believe things are still even holding together.  If you go on Greg Hunter's USAWatchdog.com, he regularly quizzes guests on whether they, too, feel like something big is going to happen by/before fall of this year.  It seems hard to believe the intensity of the global situation can continue to crescendo like this without something soon breaking.

Your statement "Plus I have been observing an even greater narcotized apathy of the general population to trends and events that would have set alarm bells off in generations past" resonated with me.  I was just thinking the other day that in years gone by, a war without Congressional Approval would have at least raised some kind of a stink in the general public.  But now, it's like we continuously get involved in new conflicts abroad, and no one even seems to notice.  Or maybe it is just that I no longer watch the mainstream "news", and so I just don't hear about such protests.

Glad to see you back.

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
Gut vs. data points

Hi Morpheus,

Interesting initial post! Note - grammar and spelling are not important - thoughts conveyed & discussion encouraged are what matters - to me anyway.

I trust my gut, which seems to resemble yours - this time it actually is different, and yes, I do believe 2015 will have some seriously defining moments that are going to affect all of us, regardless of where we live. The downside of globalization is the interconnectedness, and no country is immune to a downdraft that comes from another...

Unlike others who frequent this site I cannot produce charts and hard data with graphs and stats and all the intellectual mumbo jumbo that I read but struggle to make sense of. I instead go by what I see around me on a daily basis, what I observe by my extensive reading/research of non-MSM information, and more than anything, by my instincts, which I trust implicitly.

The cliff is full steam ahead! The sheeple are oblivious that the tracks end just around the corner... many still think they are Wylie E. Coyote and will magically bounce at the bottom of the canyon and get to have another crack at the Road Runner. Not gonna happen this time I am afraid. Wylie is like the Central Banks:  you can only fool us for so long into thinking that it never ends.

Risk management/prep/cultivating emotional resilience = the metaphorical parachute that might help create a softer landing. Emphasis on might. I have no illusions as to what is coming at us. As always, it is about timelines. When, when, when? Tomorrow, next week, next year????

There are no guarantees. As always, those who embrace the motto "better a year too early than a day too late" will have better odds. Prepping intelligently and making well thought out decisions are the only things that we really have in our control.

Jan

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
I forgot about Greg Hunter.

I forgot about Greg Hunter. His website is still around? Thanks for the tip .Yeah, I wanted to probe the pulse of the member here, particularly for data points that I am either not aware of, or forgot about, to, if anything, get a calibration so to speak. 

I started noticing some good premium articles on this site, and for a while said to myself, "nah, that's an oz or two of silver", but, there just seemed to be too many important articles that I was missing. Plus, I was violating the #1 rule of investing (IMO). That is, information is money, and information is an investment multiplier. So the short of it was, by cancelling my premium membership I was being penny wise and pound foolish. Can I find this information elsewhere for free? Sure, but now I quote the "time is money" axoim.....

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
westcoastjan wrote:Hi
westcoastjan wrote:

Hi Morpheus,

Interesting initial post! Note - grammar and spelling are not important - thoughts conveyed & discussion encouraged are what matters - to me anyway.

I trust my gut, which seems to resemble yours - this time it actually is different, and yes, I do believe 2015 will have some seriously defining moments that are going to affect all of us, regardless of where we live. The downside of globalization is the interconnectedness, and no country is immune to a downdraft that comes from another...

Unlike others who frequent this site I cannot produce charts and hard data with graphs and stats and all the intellectual mumbo jumbo that I read but struggle to make sense of. I instead go by what I see around me on a daily basis, what I observe by my extensive reading/research of non-MSM information, and more than anything, by my instincts, which I trust implicitly.

The cliff is full steam ahead! The sheeple are oblivious that the tracks end just around the corner... many still think they are Wylie E. Coyote and will magically bounce at the bottom of the canyon and get to have another crack at the Road Runner. Not gonna happen this time I am afraid. Wylie is like the Central Banks:  you can only fool us for so long into thinking that it never ends.

Risk management/prep/cultivating emotional resilience = the metaphorical parachute that might help create a softer landing. Emphasis on might. I have no illusions as to what is coming at us. As always, it is about timelines. When, when, when? Tomorrow, next week, next year????

There are no guarantees. As always, those who embrace the motto "better a year too early than a day too late" will have better odds. Prepping intelligently and making well thought out decisions are the only things that we really have in our control.

Jan

Jan, Instincts or gut feelings are often subconscious processes that are doing the analysis for you in the background, and giving you a heads-up without all the details.  

Fight or flight for example. How is it that so many people can react so masterfully in a split second life and death situation where time is so critically short that they cannot possibly have a deliberative intellectual conversation with themselves to decide the best course of action, yet they immediately engage in split second complex reactions with mastery, not even realizing that they are doing it? 

I trust my gut. It's the hidden part of my conscious giving me an executive summary that "something's up without drowning my already overtaxed conscious with all the details".

Now I need to go dig into why the quiet side of my brain is red flagging the present situation.  

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl
same same

Well,

I must say that I am in "collapse fatigue."

Meaning, Chicken little has cried the sky is falling for the last 10 years... And it hasn't fallen yet!

"2014 is going to be the year things are going to happen."

"2015 is showing all the signs..."

"2016 _______ (fill in the blank)"

Yes, this year is different. 2008 was different too. So was 2005. Not to mention 2001 around the eleventh of September if I remember correctly.

I was born and raised Catholic (please censors there is a point and I am not delving into a discussion about religion) and when I was in high school I fell in love with a girl that was a Methodist. The preacher was one of those good old "born again" types and my soul needed saving because the rapture was at hand! I bought it, became "born again," and spent the next few years of my life afraid of my shadow. My point is, that unless the rapture has already occurred, and I wasn't on the soul train to heaven - the guy was flat out wrong! Since then, I have learned to hedge my bets, live my life, and not worry about what I can't control. I went back to the religious dogma of my youth, (turns out those heathen Catholics were Christians after all!) - to hedge my bet about heaven, broke up with the overly obsessed girlfriend, and went about my life! Along the way, I met the perfect woman, had to brilliant children and without even knowing it, made myself more "resilient!"

Now, did I fall for the "eminent collapse" theory? Sure did, even moved my family over 700 miles away from our extended family support system to prove it! Was it a dumb move? In some ways yes, in others, no.

2015 has shaped up to being a very weird year indeed. There is no logical reason for oil to be ~$50/bbl

We are poking a bear with a stick and at the same time ignoring the hornets nest buzzing just to the south of it!

My generation was supposed to be the one voted most likely to, "not give a $h!t" yet I have never seen a time in my life where the youth are so focused on bread and circuses.

In the '60's if the police acted the way they have been the last decade, there would have been mass riots that would make Ferguson look like a rehearsal!

So, are things "different" now? You bet 'cha! Will I get to live out my "Walking Dead" fantasies? Most likely not. The U.S. is bigger than the Titanic and Queen Mary II combined. Is she running aground or is she about to strike the last iceberg left in the North Atlantic and sink in 11 minutes(thanks climate change).... I am hoping that she runs aground, but I bought a "drysuit" just in case!

Welcome back Morpheus. Just don't drink the Kool-aid until the comet is in sight!

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
RNcarl wrote:Well,I must
RNcarl wrote:

Well,

I must say that I am in "collapse fatigue."

Meaning, Chicken little has cried the sky is falling for the last 10 years... And it hasn't fallen yet!

"2014 is going to be the year things are going to happen."

"2015 is showing all the signs..."

"2016 _______ (fill in the blank)"

Yes, this year is different. 2008 was different too. So was 2005. Not to mention 2001 around the eleventh of September if I remember correctly.

I was born and raised Catholic (please censors there is a point and I am not delving into a discussion about religion) and when I was in high school I fell in love with a girl that was a Methodist. The preacher was one of those good old "born again" types and my soul needed saving because the rapture was at hand! I bought it, became "born again," and spent the next few years of my life afraid of my shadow. My point is, that unless the rapture has already occurred, and I wasn't on the soul train to heaven - the guy was flat out wrong! Since then, I have learned to hedge my bets, live my life, and not worry about what I can't control. I went back to the religious dogma of my youth, (turns out those heathen Catholics were Christians after all!) - to hedge my bet about heaven, broke up with the overly obsessed girlfriend, and went about my life! Along the way, I met the perfect woman, had to brilliant children and without even knowing it, made myself more "resilient!"

Now, did I fall for the "eminent collapse" theory? Sure did, even moved my family over 700 miles away from our extended family support system to prove it! Was it a dumb move? In some ways yes, in others, no.

2015 has shaped up to being a very weird year indeed. There is no logical reason for oil to be ~$50/bbl

We are poking a bear with a stick and at the same time ignoring the hornets nest buzzing just to the south of it!

My generation was supposed to be the one voted most likely to, "not give a $h!t" yet I have never seen a time in my life where the youth are so focused on bread and circuses.

In the '60's if the police acted the way they have been the last decade, there would have been mass riots that would make Ferguson look like a rehearsal!

So, are things "different" now? You bet 'cha! Will I get to live out my "Walking Dead" fantasies? Most likely not. The U.S. is bigger than the Titanic and Queen Mary II combined. Is she running aground or is she about to strike the last iceberg left in the North Atlantic and sink in 11 minutes(thanks climate change).... I am hoping that she runs aground, but I bought a "drysuit" just in case!

Welcome back Morpheus. Just don't drink the Kool-aid until the comet is in sight!

Well, I haven't dug the bunker yet RN, and to be honest, I disappeared for the past few years precisely because I live by the motto Prepare for the Worst, and Live for the Best, meaning, I have done my due diligence, set aside my various insurance policies and went about enjoying my life as if there was no comet about to hit planet Earth. So in that regard, I'm with ya'. 

My wife and I simply refused to miss out on our lives buy spending every waking day worrying about our lives. That doesn't mean an All-or-None philosophy (Either Dig the Bunker, or Get Back into the Flock and Baa!).  Nope, after Collapse Fatigue started to set in here, we decided that we would do enough due dilligence to prepare for a mid-term moderately bad fiscal/social meltdown, get that plan and insurance policy done, and then "get back to livin'". 

But we also decided to reduce the amount of Rational Ignorance that we would normally carry by spending more time in "the world" but this time do so from almost a dispassionate, academic-like perspective. We watch geopolitical events with great interest (in place of television, which I firmly believe turns people into idiots) study and monitor monetary and economic trends with as great an interest as during the "impending doom" but for different reasons. I have found that since becoming more engaged in these times with the "Boring and Mundane" affairs such as the economy and central bank watching, my retirement portfolio's rate of return has more than doubled, and handily beats the range of returns of the 401ks of my colleagues (I am in science and engineering, they talk about numbers all the time, so they talk about 401k annual percentages like the weather where I work). Instead of planting a survival garden, my wife and I plant a garden for other reasons: First, we found out that we love gardening, Second, we're both excellent chefs and fresh produce on the table has really spiced up the dinner table, Third. the cost saving are substantial, with the difference split between recreation and retirement, and Finally, the food is just healthier. We're now into sausage, butter, cheese, and breadmaking. But for different reasons. 

The best thing about this RN? These skills are all dual usage skills. We do them for different reasons now, but if we get another Black Swan Event in the future, then we are automatically hedged against tail risk!

All that and we get to enjoy our lives without the bunker mentality nor the neurosis. So it's a win-win. 

What brings me back is that I suspect, I think, my hunch is that 2015 is going to be a very significant year in terms of human devolution. And when things get interesting from an economic perspective, CM.com is really a very useful asset. See, at the end of the year I still think that I will be looking at the Christmas tree WITH THE LIGHTS ON IT LIT, but I also suspect that the odds of a significant market change (20, 30. 35%?) are lining up. Unlike 2009, I am not afraid of that (I actually made 3.2% that year), I want to position myself to weather it and come out ahead. 

Do I think we will collapse to a Third World nation? Of course I do. But not overnight. For those waiting for the "Big One", it's already happening and has been happening. But the slope of the collapse is far gentler than what most people are looking for so they don't realize that they are already in it! So while they're waiting for the Big Dislocation, they've already missed 15% of it. LOL

2015, if my twitching big toe doesn't fail me, has a decent probability of another sudden dislocation of the Societal Fault Line (or more likely a jolt, magnitude 5-6), and it could even be bad enough to split a wall of a house or two. But I don't think it is going to swallow up the town, metaphorically speaking. 

Good to see you again. We're on the same page. 

nickbert's picture
nickbert
Welcome back

Welcome back.  I think many of us old timers never really left the site (and some of use still post frequently), though I know I've posted far less often more due to time constraints (I no longer have a job with a lot of down time) rather than collapse fatigue.  I think a lot of us tend to post less over time as we migrate from looking for and comprehending the relevant issues and concerns, and move more towards actions and doing stuff.

Personally my gut instinct and intuition is also telling me 2015 is going to be a year to remember, though for me if feels like it will be more in the way of being recognized as a major transition or turning point, but not so much the year of the 'Horrendous Economic Kablooie!' (to paraphrase Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes).  The funny thing is I expect that this or whatever year ends up being that historical transition or shift in direction, most won't recognize it as such until years later.  And at this point I suspect the peak impact of the 'Kablooie', at least for the US and most of Europe, is not here quite yet.  But that's just my guess.

Mark Cochrane's picture
Mark Cochrane
This time is different.... (cough, cough)

Morpheus,

Glad to have you back on board our express train to nowhere. As RNcarl alludes to, we have to keep in mind that we are in danger of sounding like those sailing the global economic ship of fools (this time is different...) when we claim this time is different for some grand collapse year after year. That said, the amount of lunacy piling up across the planet is just absurd. I agree with you that, in retrospect, historians will argue that we were already well on the road to perdition by the time 2015 arrived and (maybe) provided the next major jolt on the rollercoaster ride down after the 2007 entrance into the long descent.

You asked what other 'gut feelings' people have about the current geopolitical situation. In addition to the items that you listed, a couple of things have me wondering what is really going on? Is anyone else bothered that we stirred up a hornets nest in Yemen and then just abandoned the place for the Saudis to sort out? We've been having 'issues' with the Saudi kingdom since at least the Syrian debacle when Russia handed us our diplomatic heads. We didn't do our part for them and now they are putting the screws to both Russia and the US by driving the oil prices low. Next we abandon Yemen and tell them to fix it while we make nice with their greatest enemies in Iran. Am I missing something?

Is it just my impression or do we seem to be actively alienating every 'ally' that we have? We stirred up another potential catastrophe in Ukraine to have an excuse for punishing Russia but we also cast the specter of war over Europe again. After getting caught spying on our friends we then strong armed them into cutting their own throats with economic sanctions on Russia. Then suddenly Germany and France are running peace negotiations between Ukraine and Russia without us? That is followed up by everyone, starting with the UK (the UK!) abandoning us to join China and Russia in the AIIB bank. The US seems to be increasingly out of touch.

I don't know if any of this means collapse in 2015 but I do think that these are clear signals that we have overplayed our 'last remaining super power' hand and are getting lined up for a serving of humble pie as the dollar hegemony is whittled away at. If the Saudi's abandon the petrodollar things will get interesting in a hurry...

Mark

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Welcome Back Morph
Quote:

I don't know how quite to communicate this, but something just doesn't feel "right" about the trajectory of 2015. So, can I have a sanity check please? Does anyone have this "gut feel" that this year is going to reveal a particularly nasty surprise in the geopolitical/geoeconomic domain? I mean WELL above and beyond the typical news. And if so, what are YOUR data points that make you also feel a bit queazy?"

Good to see you back my friend.  There are precious few of us early CM.com/PP.comers still here.

Here's one data point for you.........

This summer, over the 4th of July holiday, 63 million Dead heads will be descending upon Chicago for the final performance of the surviving core members of the Grateful Dead for the 50th Anniversary "Fare Thee Well" tour.  Nothing like 70 year old, musicians in various stages of rehab and recovery having an outdoor concert for 60,000 fans (also in various stages of rehab and recovery) in July in Chicago.  As we all know, the Global Climatopocalypse will certainly result in most of them being stricken with heat exhaustion and they will be forced to lean on their walkers and canes and will look like beached walruses.

I digress..........(big surprise for the Old Guard, I know)

Nothing makes me queasy anymore (except hummus - that stuff is foul).  Whatever is going to happen is going to happen and I am either going to make it through it or I am not.

And Opening Day was yesterday so the rest of it doesn't matter until October.  'Panis et circensis' indeed.  I'm pretty sure that's Latin for "Go Tigers."

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Climatopocalypse? LMAO. Nice

Climatopocalypse? LMAO. Nice one, denier! ;) There! All of your objections have hereby been refuted with a label and a caricature. How clever is that?  The human race has devolved to the point where true scientific inquiry must first pass through a political filter. Wait! That already happened in history before, hasn't it? Hmm, which U nation S am S I thinking R about? Next up. Political belief systems rebranded as psychiatric disorders.....

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
The skull.

That skull motif has got legs with the Great Unwashed. They tattoo it to their arms, to their foreheads and to other interesting places.

Is Something bubbling to the surface? 

Doug's picture
Doug
btw

Stones are playing in Buffalo this summer. I've seen the Dead enough. I haven't seen the Stones despite being 68 yo. May be my last chance. Welcome back Morpheus.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Doug wrote:Stones are playing
Doug wrote:

Stones are playing in Buffalo this summer. I've seen the Dead enough. I haven't seen the Stones despite being 68 yo. May be my last chance. Welcome back Morpheus.

How's the weather back home Doug? Stones playing at the Ralph? Listen, I saw them in 84' and thought back then that Jagger was starting to sound like a strangled cat. Why don't these old bands just give it up?

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Food for thought.....

Doug, Morph - the Stones never set the hook for me, but I get it.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
Steal Your Face

Arthur - It's a stealie, not a skull.  Dead Head nation refers to all those who aren't us as the Great Washed.

That said, the scent of patchouli is stomach turning.

Dogs

PS - Stay away from the brown acid.

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
the difference will be the SDR

Mark, (as well as RNCarl and Morpheus) I agree with you, to an extent. While I do agree that it is hard to nail anything down in terms of when "something" will happen, it seems that we may have a major turning point in 2015 when the dawning realization hits (for those who have not been paying attention) that the US$ really is going to lose its status as Reserve Currency:

In the coming months there are going to be dramatic changes in the world and how the existing monetary system functions.  Whatever the basket composition ends up being, on January 1, 2016, the new SDR will come into effect and nothing will be the same after.In the coming months there are going to be dramatic changes in the world and how the existing monetary system functions.  Whatever the basket composition ends up being, on January 1, 2016, the new SDR will come into effect and nothing will be the same after.

Source: http://philosophyofmetrics.com/2015/03/28/sdr-fundamentals-future-announcements/#more-2409http://philosophyofmetrics.com/2015/03/28/sdr-fundamentals-future-announcements/#more-2409

While I cannot say I truly understand this complicated issue, my basic understanding is that it will be a major game changer for how the USA is able to operate going forward. Gone will be the I can do as I please actions that come from having Reserve Currency status, enabling the USA to spend beyond its means for so long.

If the SDR becomes a reality on January 01 2016 as this article hypothesizes, then indeed 2015 will have been a year where something big really did happen!

OT: request to Chris and Adam: can you write an article explaining how the implementation of the SDR will affect us in our day to day lives? Is it possible to bring it down to a personal level - e.g. what will it mean in terms of buying power, spending & inflation for the average Joe or Jane. Please and thanks!

Jan

Hotrod's picture
Hotrod
Stones

Welcome Back Morpheus!

IMHO the Stones are totally flummoxed as to why thousands of people will still pay hundreds of dollars to see a zombie-like group of old farts that are only a shadow of their former selves.

I think most everybody is desperately trying to cling onto a piece of their youth by attending these concerts and paying these outrageous ticket prices.  In that regard, on April 23rd, 1974 it was my great privilege to see Black Oak Arkansas, REO Speedwagon and Montrose with Sammy Hagar for only $4.50 @ the Brown County Veterans Memorial Arena in Green Bay.... Also had a lot of fun afterward.  Still have the poster to prove it.

As far as 2015 is concerned, I have mixed feelings.  I believe that some black swan will suddenly appear and the whole shebang will unravel.  My feeling is that there will be little to no warning.  It could happen tomorrow or it could take 10 years but it will happen.  My 2 cents.

This website is incredible.  Where else can you have civil, intelligent discussions about unconventional thinking with fantastic contributors?  Almost nowhere else.

Doug's picture
Doug
Spring is springing

Though there are still piles of snow in all the drift zones. We had 3 inches of snow Saturday night.

The whole band should have been dead 25 years ago. I think they're pickled.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Doug wrote:Though there are
Doug wrote:

Though there are still piles of snow in all the drift zones. We had 3 inches of snow Saturday night. The whole band should have been dead 25 years ago. I think they're pickled.

So then, for Buffalo standards it's a balmy, moderate spring day! 

HughK's picture
HughK
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote: PS -
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

PS - Stay away from the brown acid.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
westcoastjan wrote: Mark, (as
westcoastjan wrote:

Mark, (as well as RNCarl and Morpheus) I agree with you, to an extent. While I do agree that it is hard to nail anything down in terms of when "something" will happen, it seems that we may have a major turning point in 2015 when the dawning realization hits (for those who have not been paying attention) that the US$ really is going to lose its status as Reserve Currency:

In the coming months there are going to be dramatic changes in the world and how the existing monetary system functions.  Whatever the basket composition ends up being, on January 1, 2016, the new SDR will come into effect and nothing will be the same after.In the coming months there are going to be dramatic changes in the world and how the existing monetary system functions.  Whatever the basket composition ends up being, on January 1, 2016, the new SDR will come into effect and nothing will be the same after.

Source: http://philosophyofmetrics.com/2015/03/28/sdr-fundamentals-future-announcements/#more-2409http://philosophyofmetrics.com/2015/03/28/sdr-fundamentals-future-announcements/#more-2409

While I cannot say I truly understand this complicated issue, my basic understanding is that it will be a major game changer for how the USA is able to operate going forward. Gone will be the I can do as I please actions that come from having Reserve Currency status, enabling the USA to spend beyond its means for so long.

If the SDR becomes a reality on January 01 2016 as this article hypothesizes, then indeed 2015 will have been a year where something big really did happen!

OT: request to Chris and Adam: can you write an article explaining how the implementation of the SDR will affect us in our day to day lives? Is it possible to bring it down to a personal level - e.g. what will it mean in terms of buying power, spending & inflation for the average Joe or Jane. Please and thanks!

Jan

IMO it would be REALLY bad for holders of US dollars. Dollar value would plummet and most people's saving and retirement portfolios, denominated in US dollars would be wiped out. Food and energy prices would explode, and fixed income people would get crushed. Most social programs would come to a grinding halt, and civil unrest would soon follow. 

That's why I don't think it will happen that way. The District of Rome on the Potomac would rather risk war to prevent that than just allow it sitting down. Instead, I see the BRICS slowly strangling the US, by killing the dollar with small painful paper cuts rather than going for the jugular. I see them doing more things like AIIP, currency swaps, trade agreements, ect, to offer alternatives to US colonies and territories that think that they are sovereign nations. I see this as a brilliant strategy as it will slowly form more cracks in the US empire and force the US to deal with a continuous stream of diplomatic crisis' between its allies/puppets.

Heck, you can see that right now! THAT is the strategy. Based on this, I believe that ONE of the objectives of the US poking the Russian Bear is to rally the colonies around a greater threat, thus pulling them back into orbit and away from the temptations that China et al offer to them (potentially more autonomy from the US and possible independence). 

One thing that George Carlin once said, in a very sober interview was "The consensus opinion is almost always wrong". What I opine is very different from the status quo orthodoxy in terms of explaining events today. So, while that does not prove my assertion true, I do believe that it passes the "not the mainstream consensus" test, which is the first barrier to seeking the truth. Yeah, that's weak "proof" but I really have no proof. I am just using induction to put forth a plausible explanation. It's the best that I can do with the open source intel available. :)

My 2 cents. 

Morph. 

westcoastjan's picture
westcoastjan
if I know one thing with a certainty....

Hey Morph...

It is true that the USA will not go down without a fight. Hence the geopolitical games and positioning, war and fear mongering. It is all part of the chess game.

George Friedman made an interesting comment in one of his books - can't remember which - The Next Ten Years or The Next 100 years - to the effect of don't discount the USA as they are more like a teenager just growing up and getting used to the power they wield.

Food for thought...

Jan

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl
When I was young

... and taking one of those required history classes as a Freshman in college, one notable comment made by the professor was this, "The U.S. is the largest experiment in democratic rule the world has ever seen."

Now, being an engineering student, I was accustomed to carrying out experiments of different types. As a Freshman, most ended badly or at least ended without proving anything. When I thought about 'mercia being an "experiment" - I immediately got a pit in my stomach. Because you see, all experiments come to an end, and if the U.S. was an experiment, no matter the outcome, it would indeed at some point, come to an end. My country, and my life as I knew it would come to an end. The depth of the comment struck me hard and I nearly vomited at my seat. That was 30 some odd years ago. And, yet, here we are.

Will this grand experiment end? Of course, all empires end. Sometimes they are replaced by a better idea, sometimes not.

The older I get, the more certain I am that the only thing that remains the same is change. One can count on it. Kings, Dukes and Earls just have new names. Collectively, we call them the, "0.1%'ers" Their battle fields are electronic and made up of ones and zeros. The loss and bloodshed while not as graphic (most of the time) of that during the times of their predecessors, the damage to the "common man" is still as harmful. "We" are their fodder. In the 1700's there was a whole new continent full of resources that could be employed to repel the tyranny. What do we have that can repel the tyranny of today?

C.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
RNcarl wrote:... and taking
RNcarl wrote:

... and taking one of those required history classes as a Freshman in college, one notable comment made by the professor was this, "The U.S. is the largest experiment in democratic rule the world has ever seen."

Now, being an engineering student, I was accustomed to carrying out experiments of different types. As a Freshman, most ended badly or at least ended without proving anything. When I thought about 'mercia being an "experiment" - I immediately got a pit in my stomach. Because you see, all experiments come to an end, and if the U.S. was an experiment, no matter the outcome, it would indeed at some point, come to an end. My country, and my life as I knew it would come to an end. The depth of the comment struck me hard and I nearly vomited at my seat. That was 30 some odd years ago. And, yet, here we are.

Will this grand experiment end? Of course, all empires end. Sometimes they are replaced by a better idea, sometimes not.

The older I get, the more certain I am that the only thing that remains the same is change. One can count on it. Kings, Dukes and Earls just have new names. Collectively, we call them the, "0.1%'ers" Their battle fields are electronic and made up of ones and zeros. The loss and bloodshed while not as graphic (most of the time) of that during the times of their predecessors, the damage to the "common man" is still as harmful. "We" are their fodder. In the 1700's there was a whole new continent full of resources that could be employed to repel the tyranny. What do we have that can repel the tyranny of today?

C.

Numbers Carl, we have numbers. The Little People outnumber the Establishment 100000:1. And numbers alone can entice a step in the direction for a peaceful solution. But we don't have is knobs and levers that manipulate the culture, such as Hollywood, the recording industry, the news and television networks, the "mainstream" press, most books, the education system, the bought-and-paid-for opportunist politicians, the court system, and the bully pulpit. 

Manipulation, indoctrination, and programming are far more effective than persuasion. 

Look, I am not a conspiracy theorist type. I don't have to twist facts, read into any observations, or make any assumptions to clearly see what is in plain sight. And that is, with respect to the institutions that I just mentioned, on key, critical issues, they all amazingly sing from the same sheet of music. If you think about that, the odds of that are pretty much impossible. Plus, the human history of the aristocratic class has been that they very much are attracted to owning and/or controlling those institutions, for the very reason of controlling the little people so that they don't get their heads chopped off. So this is nothing new. 

(notice those institutions will talk about socialism, collectivism, or capitalism, but true free markets including the market setting interest rates, are completely off limits??, as is awareness of cartels, monopolies, and corporatism??)

90% of the public is completely oblivious to the fact that we are in an extended economic depression.

GDP also includes government borrowing spent into the economy. That's like a household making 50K last year and borrowing 20K and claiming GDP of 70K. This year they make 48K, borrow 26K and claim 54K, or 8% growth! The real growth was -4%.  Yet none of those institutions will tell you that, and if you are successful at getting that message out then those same institutions are more than likely to destroy you, or at least deride, sneer, and scorn you in one manner or another. 

Add to that money printing, and people are deadset convinced that the economy is growing. THAT is brainwashing. 

So here is the $64,000 question (at 5.67% apr interest).

How do we awaken people who's programming and indoctrination is thoroughly embedded in the entertainment and recreation that they are so deeply addicted to, AND also in their formal education and vocational training, and is magnified by the all so potent so pressure of conformity, herd behavior, and state sanctions for not conforming to that behavior? 

How do we get people to start thinking again, instead of them allowing themselves to be told what to think, and what to believe, and accepting it non-critically? How do we get people's souls back??

Solve that problem and  we have a chance. Because right now you and I are resources, nothing more, nothing less. Human resources, saddled with "the burden of knowing". 

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Lost souls
Morpheus wrote:

How do we get people to start thinking again, instead of them allowing themselves to be told what to think, and what to believe, and accepting it non-critically? How do we get people's souls back??

The crux of this whole fix we find ourselves in. The problem is, and always has been, a spiritual one.

Boomer41's picture
Boomer41
End Game

My gut feel too, is that we are in the end game of a global take-over by the 0.1%. The signs are all out there for anyone paying attention.

The hubris of the banksters, as they brazenly break the law without any consequences is a big one. The militarization of the police is another. Overwhelming evidence that 9/11 was a false flag. The way the MSM ignore all the real stories and instead pump out mind numbing pablum. NDAA 2012.  Need I continue?

There is something else that bothers me too. The way Bloomberg, Soros and other members of the 0.1% are pumping vast amounts of their own money into efforts to disarm us. Bloomberg is outspending the NRA pushing his anti-gun agenda.

Could it be that the 0.1% realize that one big thing which might prevent them from turning us all into serfs is the armed citizenry of the USA? Americans are buying guns in record numbers. I believe the surge in gun ownership over the past six years stems from a widespread mistrust of government. We are not alone in our feelings of inquietude.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Time2help wrote: Morpheus
Time2help wrote:
Morpheus wrote:

The crux of this whole fix we find ourselves in. The problem is, and always has been, a spiritual one.

I absolutely agree with this 100%. 

capesurvivor's picture
capesurvivor
Old home week

Jeez,

Decided to cruise around here to see if any of the "legacy" threads from the old days are still here and found this thread. Good to see all of you folks who, I would say, helped build this online community. I'm afraid the reorganization to Peak Prosperity was too much for the old grey cells to integrate and I largely disappeared also. Were those thousands of posts relegated to virtual wasteland? All the damn firearm and gardening stuff alone should be archived here somewhere.

it has been a long strange trip to the bottom...but we haven't hit it yet, LOL, as RNCarl and others pointed out. It all stinks but TPTB have kept the plates spinning for the 1% . The old mental health saying was that psychotics build castles in the air, neurotics live in them, and psychiatrists collect the rent. The American population fits nicely into that model and I fear I know which group I'm in against my will.

But, this is positive development, the A-Team is back to save the world.

Live long and prosper and let the Games begin.

CS

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
All the threads are here

CS -

Good to see you back.

All the old discussion threads you mentioned are still here, accessible as always in our Forums:

http://www.peakprosperity.com/forum

The specific ones you mentioned can be found here:

Thought I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that a lot of the discussion has moved into the newer Groups section, which makes it easier to connect around these topics.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments