Austin, Texas Land Purchase

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dkieke's picture
Dkieke
Austin, Texas Land Purchase

I'm a regular on PP though I seldom post, but I wanted to plant an idea with any Central Texans or those interested in relocating to the area.  My family is in the process of purchasing land just south of Austin (just over 30 minute drive on surface streets to downtown).  The property is very secluded for having city access, ~2-3 miles down a single road access through mixed ranchette/suburb area and has good soil (considering the area) with heavy live oak, cedar elm, cedar woods throughout and a seasonal creek with many draws.  It is 400 acres total and is being offered as 10 acre or larger lots, unless a buyer shows up for the whole thing.  Depending on parcel size, the cost should be $20-25k/acre and there are no restrictions other than impervious cover which means nothing unless you want to build a commercial parking lot measured in acres. 

I am posting here because I would like to find some like-minded folks to purchase neighboring land so that we can develop a homestead area as a community from the start.  Please PM me if interested and I can provide more information and realtor contacts. 

Thanks for listening,

David

Vilbas's picture
Vilbas
That sounds quite promising.

That sounds quite promising.  I currently live in Dallas and am looking for a way out of the city.  I may be applying for jobs in Austin in the fall once this legislative session shakes out, so I will keep an eye on what progresses in this thread.  I would really like to get set up with a something like a tiny house on a decent piece of land.  Good luck!

Dkieke's picture
Dkieke
We won't be going tiny, but

We won't be going tiny, but we'll be working on tiny houses for guest/family cottages as well as combining with family to purchase more acreage.  If you are serious PM me and I'll give you the realtor's info and links so you can check it out yourself.  There is a very large contingent of self-sufficient minded properties (whether still dreams, reality, or existing old homesteads/ranches) in the area south of Austin, so it's a good area for the mindset.  Plenty of folks leaning both directions politically, but they're all Texans so it somehow works out in the end.  It's a good area to move to so hopefully you can make it down whether you come join us as neighbors or not. 

Happy hunting

kanders's picture
kanders
We had the same idea

Hi David,

I've been to this site in the past but never posted anything.  I came across your post yesterday and created an account so i could reply.  

We are in Texas and have the same idea as you.  I am going to send you an email. 

kevinoman0221's picture
kevinoman0221
I'd like to know more about

I'd like to know more about the location. I'll PM you. Very interesting.

mac777's picture
mac777
Would consider purchase

Please send realtors info.   Would like to know more about property

Thanks

John

TechGuy's picture
TechGuy
Water Drought

FWIW: One important drawback for Texas is the long term drought. It seems unlikely that the drought is going to break anytime soon. This will make it difficult to grow crops.I would also be concerned about the potential for increasing violence related to drug trafficing and gang violence. As the economy slips, crime & violence increase as does the increased demand for illegal drugs.

$20K per acre is awfully high. It doesn't really make sense to buy and build a homestead near a major city since when a collapse unfolds, everyone living in the city or the subburbs will fan out and overwhem the region like locast. You really need to be at least a couple hours away from any major city. Once you're outside of city commuting distance, the prices of properly drops considerably. You probably can pick up land under $3K or less per acre outside communting distances.

If you need to stay near a metro area for employment, I would suggest a two tier strategy. Build your homestead outside of commuting distance, and rent a small apartment inside or near a city and find an employeer that will allow you to work three 10 hour days and the other 2 remotely (or something that works best for you). The only important thing is you need to find rural property with broadband internet access so you can work remotely. Its very probable that what's left of  job stability will vanish making it difficult for most people to remain put at one address anyway. So even if you manage to find a job close to your homestead, you may end up have to switch to another job that is distant. This is why many people are switching to renting instead of owning a home. I would recommend that you factor this in your long term planning.

Austin is likely a Nuke target. Its seem very likely as the collapse unfolds the risk of a major global war increases. Recall that the great depression of the 1930's resulted in WW2. Its unlikely that the world will escape war when after the next global depression begins. Ideally you want to distance yourself from potential nuke targets as well as Nuclear power plants and industrial sites (Petro-chemical, refineries, etc) that could be hazardous if they become damaged or improperly maintained.

Also make sure the land you are going to purchase is zoned agraculture and isn't butting next to expanding suburbia (resulting in zoning changes). Otherwise zoning laws are likely to limit your ability to grow food (ie raise chickens, or other livestock).I would also recommend that you have the soil tested and check for mineral rights. Ideally you don't want to be on land that may tapped for frack drilling.

I hope this helps your decision process.

DisappearingCulture's picture
DisappearingCulture
Land south of Austin

TechGuy,

Have you been to this area? I have. My son lives in Austin. I haven't been to this piece of property. It is hot as hell in the summer but relatively mild winters. A lot of rain in the last year but obviously not like the east [Alabama, Ga., S.C. etc.]

I don't know the groundwater situation but would bet [with a degree in geology] a well would be quite productive here. Yes if a city gets nuked they are screwed, but if they nuke Austin they have also nuked dozens of other cities and the whole U.S. is screwed.

Illegal drugs? Pretty rural there. Less of a problem when gun ownership by solid citizens is not only tolerated but encouraged.

There are many much worse places to be. There is a spirit of freedom and independence there.

There is way too much land for way too few people to move out of the city and fan out and overwhelm the region like locust.

TechGuy's picture
TechGuy
Texas is in long term drought

Texas (like California and most of the south West USA) is in a long term drought:

http://today.tamu.edu/2013/09/26/drought-here-to-stay-could-last-another...

I haven't been to Austin in many many years. My understanding is that there has been a mass exit from California to the Texas, with Austin rapidly growing because of people leaving CA for TX.  For now, TX has been relying heavily on ground water for agraculture, population use, and fracking. Ground water is also becoming more brackish as the ground water level drops. From what I read recently, Austin rapid populaiton growth is outpacing its resources, escially water.

Perhaps Austin does not yet have much impact get from the Mexican drug cartels, but being in close proximity to the boarder increases the odds of violence, especially as the economy deteriorates. Just because you're outside of city limits does not mean that violence will find you. The rising number of CA drug users moving to Austin will increase the demand of Illegal drugs, which can expose you and your family when you need to go into Austin (supplies, medical services, employment, etc). 

"There is way too much land for way too few people to move out of the city and fan out and overwhelm the region like locust."

You would be surprised how quickly people will fan out. Its not just the population of Austin, but the regional population including Houston. when the system fails and the supermarkets go bare the population living in urban/suburbabin regions will be forced to go nomadic in search of food and water. They will not simple sit at home and die of starvation. If you have resources, you will most certianly be forced to defend them, and Texas high gun owership also has a negative side. You can guarentee that every nomadic gang will be heavily armed and will become well skilled on homestead assaults. Expect well armed roving gangs to appear that roam in search of resources needed to survive. They will scout out for homesteads and attack at night from multiple directions and use overwhelmig firepower to route you. Be prepared to guard your homestead 7/24/365 for several years after the collapse until the die-off has run its course.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2011/04/rural-homes-being-attacked.html

Its also likely that very few of your neighbors will be prepared and will likely quickly find out that you have resources that they need to survive. When people are hungry they will become desperate and quickly change from being humble/polite neighbor to berzerk. No body is going to sit home and starve, and as you are aware it takes years to establish a homestead to be self-reliant. You can't become self reliant two months before the collapse begins.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments