State of the Union

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Doug's picture
Doug
State of the Union

Although ZH isn't always reliable and is frequently blatantly partisan, I think this article is probably close to accurate and raises the question of just how detached the administration, Congress and the American people are from the real threats out there.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-01-18/state-union-what-we-know-so-far

Quote:

But this year, much of Mr. Obama's policy wish list and broad themes will be well-known when he walks onto the House floor next week. Here is what the president is widely expected to focus on in his address, which will be held on Jan. 20 at 9 p.m. EST. (This updates an article initially published last week.)

Taxes: Mr. Obama will propose using revenue generated from tax increases on investment gains and inherited property to pay for tax breaks aimed at low- and middle-income households. The initiatives, previewed Saturday by administration officials, include tripling the child-care tax credit to $3,000 and creating a new $500 credit for families in which both spouses work. Under the plan, the top capital-gains rate would rise to 28% from 23.8% and more inherited assets would be subject to capital-gains taxes.

The Economy: One of the biggest themes of Mr. Obama's speech will be the strengthening economic recovery. With the stock market up, GDP growing and unemployment at new lows, Mr. Obama has began talking up the economy -- a bit of legacy building from a president entering his final two years in office.

"In my speech, I'm going to focus on how we can build on the progress we've already made and help more Americans feel that resurgence in their daily lives, with higher wages, and rising incomes and growing our middle class," Mr. Obama said in remarks last week previewing his address.

Cybersecurity: Mr. Obama is expected to give hacking and cybersecurity a prominent mention in the speech, in the aftermath of several high profile incidents including data breaches at top retailers, the hacking of Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. and the breach of a U.S. military Twitter account. Mr. Obama will call on Congress to take up cybersecurity legislation, and he isworking on an executive order on the issue. He'll also call for new protections in the event that consumer credit card data gets stolen or compromised.

Free Community College: Mr. Obama has proposed spending $60 billion over 10 years to ensure cost-free access to community college for students, with the hope of making two years of college as universal as high school is today. Students would need to be halftime students, maintain a 2.5 GPA, and be working toward completing their degrees.

Government-owned broadband networks: The president has also called for overturning state laws that keep local governments from investing in municipally-owned broadband networks. The Obama administration says the move would encourage competition and increase the availability of high-speed broadband Internet access, especially in rural areas.

Paid sick, parental and family leave: The president will also urge Congress to vote on the Healthy Families Act, which would mandate up to seven days of paid sick leave for workers every year. He is also likely to tout a recently signed executive order that guarantees federal workers at least six weeks of parental leave for the birth of a child. And he'll call for Congress to overhaul federal  workforce policies for parents.

Housing: The president is expected to talk about a new push to jump-start the sluggish housing market. Mr. Obama recently ordered the Federal Housing Administration to reduce annual mortgage insurance premiums from 1.35% to 0.85% -- with the aim of making home ownership more affordable.

Manufacturing hubs: The president will spend some time discussing the revival of manufacturing in the U.S., including his efforts to establish "manufacturing hubs." Those are regional public-private partnerships aimed at developing new manufacturing technologies. Mr. Obama visited the Manufacturing Innovation Institute for Advanced Composites in Knoxville, Tenn., this month in advance of the speech.

Other possibilities: Foreign policy, trade and infrastructure: Mr. Obama hasn't yet outlined all of the themes of the speech, but with ongoing concerns about Islamic State, al Qaeda and other militant Islamist groups, the president is likely to mention foreign policy themes and ideas in the address.

He's also likely to focus on some policy areas where he believes Republicans and Democrats can work together in the closing years of his administration -- including on trade and infrastructure.

Notable omissions include oil (and energy generally), Ukraine, Russia, debt bubble, world economy (particularly deteriorating conditions in Japan, Europe and China, the three largest economies outside the US), international trade, climate and generally environmental destruction, deterioration of civil liberties and last but not least, the ever increasing possibility of a hot war.

Comments?

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Repeat of recent sins
Doug wrote:

Housing:  Mr. Obama recently ordered the Federal Housing Administration to reduce annual mortgage insurance premiums from 1.35% to 0.85% -- with the aim of making home ownership more affordable.

Sounds like a sound byte from one of Bush 2's State of the Union speeches. 

Amazed at how quickly we forget and then repeat the mistakes of the past.

For most of the rest, I'm left with my usual wondering: How will we afford it all?

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Why?
Adam Taggart wrote:

For most of the rest, I'm left with my usual wondering: How will we afford it all?

For pretty much all of it, I'm left with my usual wondering: Why are you guys bothering to watch that stuff?

Doug's picture
Doug
Adam
Quote:

That pretty much sums up our political system.  Sound bite governance...lacking substance.  It seems our governing officials actually buy into their own sound bites BS.  Unfortunately, what comes from that is bad situations are just made worse.

Doug's picture
Doug
Time2help
Quote:

Why are you guys bothering to watch that stuff? 

Good question.  I frequently ask myself the same thing.  I guess its an addiction.  I keep listening in hopes  they'll say something of value.  And to be honest, there are occasional morsels that suggest there are a couple functioning brains up there.  Elizabeth Warren and Sheldon Whitehouse actually seem to understand what's going on within their own areas of expertise.  We'll see if they can get anything done given the tremendous resistance even within their own party.  Their speeches just don't lend themselves to sound bites.

DennisC's picture
DennisC
IF, I have the TeeVee on,  I

IF, I have the TeeVee on,  I think I'll tune in South Park or Family Guy, or Family Feud, just to mess up the MSM's all important rating system, by one.

KugsCheese's picture
KugsCheese
Adam Taggart wrote: Doug
Adam Taggart wrote:
Doug wrote:

Housing:  Mr. Obama recently ordered the Federal Housing Administration to reduce annual mortgage insurance premiums from 1.35% to 0.85% -- with the aim of making home ownership more affordable.

QE4?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments