New Rule 589 for Metals Futures and Options

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
pangiagreg's picture
pangiagreg
New Rule 589 for Metals Futures and Options

This new rule is effective Sunday, December 21, 2014 and places special price fluctuation limits on gold and silver futures.

Gold futures price fluctuation limit tiers are: $100 / $200 / $300 / $400 per ounce.

Silver futures price fluctuation limit tiers are: $3 / $6 / $9 / $12 per ounce.

Link to full article on Zero Hedge: Implementation of New NYMEX/COMEX Rule Regarding Special Price Fluctuation Limits for Certain NYMEX and COMEX Metals Futures and Options Contracts

Background

Effective Sunday, December 21, 2014 for trade date Monday, December 22, 2014, and pending all relevant Commodity Futures Trading Commission regulatory review periods, the New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. (NYMEX) and Commodity Exchange, Inc. (COMEX) (collectively, the Exchanges) will implement new NYMEX/COMEX Rule 589 (Special Price Fluctuation Limits) to apply price fluctuation limits to certain metals futures and options contracts. Price fluctuation limits deter sharp price movements that may, for example, be driven by illiquid central limit order books prevailing from time to time in otherwise liquid markets.

Why might this rule be placed into effect now? Perhaps to prevent a Putin inspired Sunday melt-up?

bwh1214's picture
bwh1214
Interesting

I read the article on ZH yesterday.  It may be nothing but the timing seems suspicious. 

ChanaAmelia's picture
ChanaAmelia
Just admiring your work and

Just admiring your work and wondering how you managed this blog so well. It’s so remarkable that I can’t afford to not go through this valuable information whenever I surf the internet!
see us:buy facebook likes cheap

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments