Buffalo snow storm

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Doug's picture
Doug
Buffalo snow storm

Well, we are now into the third day of this ongoing snow "event." In some areas of the southeast 'burbs they have up to 9ft of snow and counting. I live just a few miles south of those 'burbs and have received only a couple inches. The snow band is expected to move our way this afternoon and drop a foot or so before it all fades away Friday. Even in this region where snowstorms are expected, this is unprecedented. Unfortunately, the end of the event doesn't end the emergency. Temps are expected to rise this weekend with rain. There are already a number of roof cave-ins and the heavy weight will get much worse before the flooding starts. There's no real way to prepare for that. We don't know how bad that will be, but there is a lot of potential water out there. A few indicators of increasing stress are that we haven't had mail since Monday. Stores are out of milk and perishables are getting scarce. There are still probably hundreds of vehicles abandoned on roads and highways. Eight dead so far, mostly heart attacks. One guy died in his car buried under a 12ft drift. There has been no Meals on Wheels since Monday. Fortunately, this area is used to dealing with snow emergencies. There has been good communication and cooperation between relevant gov't agencies and first responders. Hospitals have remained well staffed. Although there are always glitches, on the whole emergency operations have run well. Hopefully, that trend continues. Doug

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
Thanks for the update Doug! 

Thanks for the update Doug!  It's a good reminder that we need to be preparing for more than just man made problems in our future.

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Lake effect snow

Stay safe (and warm!), Doug!

A friend of mine from the Buffalo area told me about this time-lapse video showing the lake effect snow in-the-making.  I guess the fact that the air higher up is so cold, combined with the lake's water being much warmer than when we normally get this kind of snow event in NY, is a contributing factor. 

Doug's picture
Doug
thanks

Great video. In one job I had I had a view of the southwest horizon over Lake Erie. Sometimes I saw cloud banks like that all day while we were in bright sunshine. I knew people under that cloud were getting hammered.

What was different about this event was that the snow band stayed in one place rather than moving north and south. Someone dubbed this storm the knife because it pierced the heart of Erie County. The videos you see are taken of an area about 15 miles wide and 30 or 40 miles long. Outside of that band little snow fell. We are getting the residuals of the storm today.

The weather prognosticators predicted we would get a foot or two today. So far it looks like we have 5-6 inches, easily manageable. When I finish this note I'm going out to blow out the driveway before my wife goes to work.

This storm is certainly memorable. It will go into the pantheon of epic storms this region has been hit with in the last 30-40 years I have lived here. It is notable that violent storms are getting more frequent, both summer and winter.

Doug

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments