Scottish Independence from the UK?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Scottish Independence from the UK?

Scottish independence is more than just a populist regional issue - it represents the balkanization of a major Western democracy in response to (and in rejection of) the corporation nation-state mandate. A yes vote is a refusal to continue transferring local wealth to transnational elites and a strong vote in favor - not of class or race or religion, but of a sort of enlightened tribalism.‪#yesscotland‬ (twitter)

Next week's referendum will deliver a verdict on Scottish independence. My maiden name is Campbell, and my husband's paternal grandmother is a Kerr, so we've been watching this process with great interest.

My writer-friend Charlie Stross lives there, and he put it this way:

"...there's a point where politics impinges directly on the circumstances of my writing, and that's when it goes nonlinear, and by nonlinear I mean "depending on the outcome of three upcoming elections, I may be living in one of three different countries in two years' time." (Two of which would be called "The United Kingdom" but would be very different from one another, and one of which would be called "The Kingdom of Scotland".) It makes it really hard to even think about writing that next near-future Scottish police thriller when I can't predict what country it will be set in, much less what its public culture will look like or where it will be ruled from." (Schroedinger's Kingdom: the Scottish Political Singularity Explained)

It's a brilliant analysis and if the topic interests you, I suggest you read it.

Charlie goes on to give a history of the differences between the Scots and the Brits that goes back to the 1600s, and an outline of what's at stake now. To me the money quote is this: ". . . everything I see around me suggests that there is some very bad craziness in the near future of England, and I don't want the little country I live in to be dragged down the rabbit hole by the same dark forces of reaction that are cropping up across Europe, from Hungary to Greece. The failure modes of democracy, it seems to me, are less damaging the smaller the democracy."

And the link to his thoughts on the failure modes of democracy is a must-read. Truly. Pay particular attention to the bullet points at the end, that start, "So, here's my hypothesis." That's an international problem articulated by someone far left of me with whom I agree more often than I'd originally suspected I would.

New_Life's picture
New_Life
Should I stay or should I go?

I'm on holiday in the Outer Hebrides  this week, sat relaxing with a drink listening to the radio, being grateful for being here, esp. with good weather.

Yet to make up my mind for next Thursday.

Born in England, but lived in Scotland for the last 20+ years. Decided to be open minded and view as much info as possible to make an informed choice.

But to be fair neither side has been that professional in its approach, so much uncertainty which ever way you choose to vote.

Saw this video recently, very interesting viewing.  Thought esp. for Chris to analyse.

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/economics-of-independence-presentat...

I suspect desire for power and wanting to control natural resources is behind both sides motivations for their drive to win.

New_Life's picture
New_Life
Currency Wars

What's your view on Alex Salmon hoping to keep using Sterling GBP, essentially relying another countries Central Bank??

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11085968/Scottish-independence-Yes-vote-will-be-disastrous-for-economy-warn-banks.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/mark-carney/11084493/Mark-Carney-currency-union-incompatible-with-sovereignty.html
Algie's picture
Algie
Tough decision

I've gone from being a staunch "No" to dithering about maybe going "Yes". 

Why?

Despite my reservations about the ability of the muppets in Holyrood to run a whole country I find my general world view, based on the 3Es, has me wondering if it wouldn't actually be better to take the pain of downsizing ourselves now rather than circumstances forcing it in a few years time. 

Difficult decision.  It's the first time I will have voted in 20 years. This time I'm not voting for some undeserving politician, but for the future of my children

Bankers Slave's picture
Bankers Slave
Cutting to the chase

on so called Scottish independence. Its a romantic notion espoused by the likes of Salmond and his hench men/women. They are all bought and paid for and I know more than enough about them and their less than publicized policies and decisions to understand that they are every bit as unscrupulous and untrustworthy as their counterparts south of the border.

Here in Scotland we have been denied the truth about Lockerbie and the Dunblane atrocities. They have denied a proper and just investigation into establishment child abuse by coercing the victims, those searching for justice and silencing the media.

They have introduced insidious Stasi like legislation that permits the state to spy on families by allocating every child in Scotland a state guardian whether its desired or not. Salmond rubs shoulders with the likes of Murdoch and Sturgeons dream dinner date is one with Hilary Clinton of all people! Need I say more!

This drive to break up the UK is all part of an EU plan to divide and conquer nation states and eventually split England into regions. We get a choice, YES for continued path towards neofuedalism or NO for the same path. I wanted freedom, but thats not on the ballot paper so I wont be participating in this charade.

"Welcome the new boss same as the old boss"!

james_knight_chaucer's picture
james_knight_chaucer
Groundskeeper Willie's Views On Scottish Independence

Anyone seen this:

sana5500's picture
sana5500
Scotland will get

Scotland will get independence soon from UK.

Bankers Slave's picture
Bankers Slave
Bankers Slave's picture
Bankers Slave
The Scottish No Vote

means that I am still enslaved by the crown corporation artificial construct. As someone on this site repeats on a regular basis.

"Let the hunger games begin"

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments