On the Nature of Free Will and the Validity of our Decisions.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
On the Nature of Free Will and the Validity of our Decisions.

The more attached you are to an Idea, the Less Free Will you have.

In this discussion we consider the nature of free will and how we make decisions.
The discussion will be based on empirical evidenced and will eschew opinion where possible.
To that end I offer these videos to begin.

Dr Iain McGilchrist.

Dr Sheldrake

Dr Jill Bolte Taylor

Athene

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
The Reality Shift.

The surface of a planet is not the best place to site industry.

We are suffering Future Shock- more to come. Brace for impact.

The problems are that we do not have enough energy slaves at our disposal (Remember them?) The solution will be to find more.

There is a persistent myth that has existed throughout history. The myth is that things are the way they are because that is the only way they could be. This is hubris. Things aren't they way they are- they never have been and never will be, hopefully.

Let me explain. In his "Histories" by Herodotus he described the doings of his world with amazing clarity. He was no mental slouch. I wish that I had his brain. But here is the issue- as clever and as brilliant as Herodotus was he was not describing his world. He was describing the components of his world that he understood. Why did he not describe nuclear power or electronic communication? Because they did not exist.

Fast forward to today- Describe the world around you. What are you missing? What do you believe to be real but is nothing more than a cultural belief? Just like Herodotus you can give an accurate description of your world-but it is by necessity incomplete. There is much more to reality.

And there is a shift taking place at the heart of Physics. It will transform our understanding of the nature of our reality in a greater way than the Copernican revolution. (The Earth goes round the sun.) It will be resisted but in time it will be accepted as a self evident truth.

You see it has become obvious that we live in a non-physical reality. To explain the findings of Quantum Mechanics and Relativity (and their mutual exclusivity) requires only one sacrifice. That we abandon Physical Matter Reality. It is all data.

In his book "My big TOE" Tom Campbell asks what is Your big TOE? You are encouraged to challenge your cultural beliefs and experiment- to find out for yourself the true nature of your Reality.

Are you up to the task? Do you want someone to hold your hand?

Seek and do not stop looking until you find. When you find you will be perplexed. When perplexed, astounded. And rule over all.

Jesus Christ in the Gospel of St Thomas.

agitating prop's picture
agitating prop
Metaphors?

I don't know if this was mentioned in any of the videos, but, another constraint on freedom isn't simply the absence of future inventions but the absence of the metaphor spin-off generated by those inventions.

With every Great Leap Forward in technology we expand our base of metaphors with which we describe our world and ourselves. Television with multiple channels, allowed us to contemplate a multiverse. The age of steam provided very loose metaphors that are still being used to describe emotional states, like repression, containment, expression, people 'blowing up' etc...

Computers and the Internet let us imagine the collective unconscious, provided a digital corollary or loose approximation of how it might work. And even if the process is remarkably different, we have a metaphorical tool to use that may end up leading us closer to.....whatever.  

Studies of the quantum realm may blow away the false dichotomy of 'inside/outside' and 'subjective/objective' and help us to understand and navigate the dream. Our dreams will take on a different significance and in the process, a different shape.....most likely. 

The intense popular interest in the quanta wouldn't have been possible without the pre-conditioning of these prior technologies. 

We are working our way towards freedom with the help of novelty and innovation but perhaps not in quite the way we think.

KugsCheese's picture
KugsCheese
Modern Economics Mimics Religion Now

I wonder why...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments