Study Questions Fat and Heart Disease Link!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mots's picture
Mots
Study Questions Fat and Heart Disease Link!
We now learn today from the venerable NY Times that dietary advice from experts, which crimps our hedonistic life style  is likely wrong. Hooray!
See http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/?hpw&rref=health 
The tabloids all over are telling the "junk food is OK!" story today  based  on a "study" (actually just a review of self-selected literature-they did  not do any experiments but downloaded some studies by others and reanalyzed them) that concluded that total amount of saturated fat  (or total  polyunsaturated fat) by itself is not associated with heart disease (or prevention of heart disease).
But the real cause (from a boring and patient biochemical view) primarily is lipid fluidity, which is an overall result of a combination of length of fatty acid, saturation of the fatty acid, and presumably amount of other anti-fluid lipid factors such  as cholesterol (for  example: short chain saturated fats are fine because they are more fluid).
FURTHERMORE:  this "study" concluded that trans fats (still) are definitely a cause of heart disease.  (most junk food  including most cookies, hydrogenated coconut oil etc contain trans fat!, so this study confirms that eating cookies and virtually all baked stuff from the store or home (if made from margarine or treated coconut  oil) causes heart disease)  This study also concluded that  "circulating levels of eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids . . . and arachidonic acid are each associated with lower coronary risk." .| This last conclusion actually confirms the never discussed boring ("lipid fluidity theory") explanation because eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids . . . and arachidonic acid all make the lipid/fat  (whether in lipoprotein or in blood-circulating-micelles or in cell-membranes) MORE FLUID (which prevents heart disease  by mixing with an overabundance of hard-type fat).  
It seems that no one is willing to go the extra baby step and look  at things other than from a very simplistic level   ("two feet bad, four feet good":  or in this case "saturated fat BAD (or no effect)-, unsaturated fat GOOD (or  no effect)."  This  extremely rudimentary dialogue is completely dominated by advertising slogans and by newspaper reporters  selling clicks to websites and subscriptions with short headlined text-bites.   Maybe the authors of this now heavily quoted "study" of others' results just want to make a splash by surfing the internet, downloading stuff and "analyzing" in  a way to get others excited for name recognition without any careful in depth review or doing the boring job of looking at the fundamentals of reality and the more complex factors really involved.  Gee, no one does THAT here at this blog site do they?............
KugsCheese's picture
KugsCheese
Re: Study Questions Fat and Heart Disease Link!

Saturated Fat has been an innocent bystander.  Americans charr their red meat which creates AGE products that are cancer promoting: cook meat <=340 F and the rarer the better.  Then their is the "eat grains" mantra which means wheat: see "Wheat Belly" book.  Enjoy rare steak with fresh cooked vegetables, red wine and filtered water.  Personally when I stopped eating wheat and upped saturated fat intake following cooking guidelines to reduce AGE products my blood lipid numbers: HDL up, LDL down, Triglycerides down 15%, vLDL good, LDL size classes good, hsCRP back to normal.  For those trying to lower fasting BG too much protein may be the culprit.   Look at inflammation markers like hsCRP, Homocysteine, and HbA1c.  LDL can be high due to illness as it is part of repair process.  Hence check your vLDL and LDL particle size; big good, small bad.  Did you know centenarians tend to have higher good size LDL?

lyn808's picture
lyn808
For those interested in the

For those interested in the detailed, lurid history of the utter bastardization of science that gave us "Cholesterol is bad," see Peter Attia's one-hour talk recorded at UCSD School of Medicine. It's the second video ("The limits of scientific evidence and the ethics of dietary guidelines — 60 years of ambiguity") here:

http://eatingacademy.com/media/videos-of-peter-attia

You can certainly read thru his slides in less than an hour, but Peter is a pretty engaging speaker, so watch it if you can.

bluestone's picture
bluestone
AGEs

Kugs.   

I generally have tried to follow similar dietary plan as yours (within the realm of the Paleo template).  I consume a moderate protein, relatively high fat and high sat fat intake, and low carbohydrate.  lots of veggies mixed I specifically try to avoid flour and refined sugar.  I also try to cook meats at a lower temperature (preferable submerged in water in a crockpot).   The medical literature strongly supports low carbohydrate diets (in spite of many years of misinterpretion of the data)  I am aware that diabetics with chronically elevated blood sugars create AGEs which injures tissue including the vasculature, lead to microvascular and peripheral vascular disease  I've also been aware that cooking at high temperatures (even in the absence of visible char), creates AGEs, and these can be absorbed through the GI tract.  My question however.  Is there real clinical evidence suggesting that cooking meats at high temperature causes negative healths effects?  I am specifically referencing cooking at high temperature but still without creating charr.   thanks

phecksel's picture
phecksel
Statins, IMO one of the worst

Statins, IMO one of the worst medical scams in all medical history.

This is a great article about statins, but it also gets into the needs for fats.  The authors have published several articles on food and our body's real needs.
http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/dangers-of-statin-drugs

Here is one of her articles
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2002/08/17/saturated-fat1.aspx

Article on negative aspects of margarine
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/sortingfacts.html

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments