What is Real? Facebook Likes...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jim H's picture
Jim H
What is Real? Facebook Likes...

This story brought to light by Michael Krieger really drives home the fact that you can't trust any data coming out of our Gov't, nor Corp. America anymore.. the rot goes deeper than just suspension of mark-to-market accounting, massive stock buyback's with borrowed money to boost EPS, and stuffed and growing inventory channels... check this out;

http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2014/02/12/how-much-of-facebooks-ad-revenue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
What is Real: Search Engine Results

1.  In this 10 minute TedTalk, Eli Pariser explains that when 2 people type in the term "Egypt" to the google search box, they get different results based on their personal history of searches.  The one who loves to travel gets articles about "Tours on the Nile" and "The Great Pyramids" while the politically oriented gets articles on the Egyptian uprising and nary a mention of the Sphinx.  We sometimes think that our searches will return "reality" but the reality that is returned is ranked, ordered, shuffled and prioritized by a computer programmer.  Eli Pariser refers to this a living within a "filter bubble."  He urges the algorithm writers (who control our exposure to what is happening in the world) to present to everyone the big issues like a newspaper of old might have done.

2.  Cornell Ecology professor, Robert Howarth, wrote an article outlining the dangers of fracking to the natural environment.  He found he was having trouble getting exposure.  Whenever his name was typed in the Google search engine, just above his paper would be links to an ad by the Natural Gas lobby.

The content of the ad includes attacks that Howarth is "not credentialed to do the kind of chemical analysis required for this field of study," his research is "not well documented" and his conclusions "extreme." They also argue that the vast majority of scientists are skeptical of Howarth's conclusions. 

[T]he ability of industry to use Google ads for these purposes, raises important questions about the role that Google and other prominent search engines will have on important political and scientific discourse. Do Google and other companies have a responsibility to the public to consider the way their search engine can be used to advance the interests of certain industries? This method naturally empowers wealthy industries to dominate Google search results....

3.  I don't know the mechanism, but a specialty clinic that I used to work for paid $5,000 / month to a third party firm that guaranteed that it could promote that clinic in the google search results stack to the top 5 hits whenever a user searched on the disease name the clinic specialized in.  I don't know the method, but this third party, for a fee, could influence search results.

Now, off to shovel snow....

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Paying for search result placement

Sandpuppy said,

I don't know the method, but this third party, for a fee, could influence search results.

I am sure that a lot of the money was recycling back into Google adwords fees.. the third party company probably had expertise in using paid Google adwords to best benefit, along with other Search engine optimization schemes, to get the client the placement they promised at the lowest cost, and thus highest profit to the consultant.  My brother the therapist ran a side business for a while doing exactly that for other therapists.. if they were in Kansas City and their specialty was marriage counseling.. he would, for a fixed fee, guide their spending on Google adwords to best benefit.  

That's how Google makes it's money;

Google AdWords is an online advertising service that places advertising copy at the top or bottom of, or beside, the list of results Google displays for a particular search query. The choice and placement of the ads is based in part on a proprietary determination of the relevance of the search query to the advertising copy. AdWords has evolved into Google's main source of revenue. Google's total advertising revenues were USD$42.5 billion in 2012.[2] AdWords offers pay-per-click, that is, cost-per-click (CPC) advertising, cost-per-thousand-impressions or cost-per-mille (CPM) advertising, and site-targeted advertising for text, banner, and rich-media ads. The AdWords program includes local, national, and international distribution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdWords

KugsCheese's picture
KugsCheese
Re: What is Real? Facebook Likes...

I am sure this is a big money generator for Facebook and it encourages it.  After all that is how its biz was built by network effects of sending out fake invitation requests after hijacking users' address books (Sheeple Effect).  Maybe it was a dream but a year or so ago I thought a Peaker posted a stock market video about HFT that was very similar.  New economy!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments