10 lessons from the government shut-down

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
ao's picture
ao
10 lessons from the government shut-down

A short but excellent post about the shut-down condensing the salient points and by its brief and potent nature, suitable for passing along to others. 

http://www.activistpost.com/2013/10/10-lessons-from-government-shutdown....

And obviously, we're now even more in the hole for paying government employees for work not done.  Simply brilliant.

When our population has increased approximately 3 1/2 fold since 1900 and our government has increased 300 hundred fold (or 30,000%), something is dreadfully wrong.

And on the subject of federal government pensions, my friend's pension is 90% of what he earned during his highest earning year.  So even though he is eligible for retirement, he is continuing to work and thereby, continuing to boost his pension.  As my friend, I am thrilled for him.  As a tax payer, I am outraged.

AndyG's picture
AndyG
Tax payer outrage

I sympathize ao.

I've just finished reading 'The Fourth Turning' and found its message/prophecy dovetails in well with current events. I think it highly unlikely your friend will enjoy the full benefits of his expected pension. Like many things in our current times it is unsustainable...does he know that?

Andy

ao's picture
ao
AndyG wrote: I sympathize
AndyG wrote:

I sympathize ao.

I've just finished reading 'The Fourth Turning' and found its message/prophecy dovetails in well with current events. I think it highly unlikely your friend will enjoy the full benefits of his expected pension. Like many things in our current times it is unsustainable...does he know that?

Andy

On the plus side for him, it's a federal pension so they can keep printing and printing and printing to sustain it, unlike a local or statement government pension.  On the negative side, you and I both know it's unsustainable in the long term but, being that he can't withdraw his money and being that I want to stay his friend and don't want to be the one to burst the illusion that keeps him happy for the time being, I haven't done more than hint.  So no, I don't think he knows that. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments