Prepping with a Camper/Trailer versus a Home?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
paranoid's picture
paranoid
Prepping with a Camper/Trailer versus a Home?

So we all know Chris led by example and has a small farmstead in W. Mass, and many on here have done similar. 

But what about those who cannot afford such preps? Or who live in a more suburban location where it's impossible yet still want to have the option of something further away in a remote area?

Has anyone discussed using a trailer home? they seem to be nice and very affordable ($5-$20K for a nice one) and can be towed easily enough. But can they be left at a remote location? Typically it seems zoning for most areas will not allow you to live in a trailer home but can this be gotten around? Please share any insights! 

Thanks! 

Amanda Witman's picture
Amanda Witman
To generally respond to this part of your post
paranoid wrote:

But what about those who cannot afford such preps? Or who live in a more suburban location where it's impossible yet still want to have the option of something further away in a remote area?

To generally respond to this part of your post, I've personally written on related topics here at PP:

Making Do

Prepping on a Shoestring

and we also have a Frugal Living group, which I encourage anyone interested to check out.

Many of our WSID blog topics and Resilient Life offerings are applicable to those who do not have much extra to work with.

I just want to be clear that we here at Peak Prosperity strive for balance in our offerings.  No doubt it does make it easier to have available capital to put into relocating, home improvement, and quickly creating a robust homestead.  But that doesn't mean it's not possible for anyone of any means to increase their resilience, even creating a farmstead or homestead with time, creativity, and dedication.  I'm working on that myself, and when I get further ahead, I'll write about that, too.

As for this part of your post:

paranoid wrote:

Has anyone discussed using a trailer home? they seem to be nice and very affordable ($5-$20K for a nice one) and can be towed easily enough. But can they be left at a remote location? Typically it seems zoning for most areas will not allow you to live in a trailer home but can this be gotten around?

Where I live, it's relatively common for people to purchase land and set a camper, motorhome, or trailer home on it indefinitely, either long term or until they can build a more permanent structure like a cabin or house.  I think location is the determining factor in whether it would be allowed. 

I don't know much about these kinds of homes, but if I had land in addition to and separate from my primary residence, I would consider such options.  I'd be especially keen on researching their durability and what is required for maintenance/upkeep; my limited experience with such things is that they tend to be made of cheaply manufactured materials, but perhaps that is not true of all.  And how weatherproof are they (and where you are, do they need to be)?  There are so many variables. 

I'd personally be more inclined to build a small, winterized off-grid cabin if I had land and money to spend on housing, but (again, depending on many variables) that might not be as cost-effective as purchasing a prefab movable home of some kind.  I've seen trailer homes with stick roofs/walls built around them, presumably to extend the life of the trailer.  And of course, before making such a plan, you'd need to pre-screen the zoning laws, tax laws, etc.

It would be very interesting to hear from anyone here who has done this.  As I recall, there are at least a few people here who are living primarily in mobile homes.

Sirocco's picture
Sirocco
Trailers

paranoid, you might check out the book "Dirt-Cheap Survival Retreat" by M. D. Creekmore. It is short (82 pages) and easy to read, and covers exactly what you are asking about. It was an inspiration to me.

DCubic's picture
DCubic
Hiring a campervan

If, you intend renting a motorhome in Canada then we advise booking a perfectly sized vehicle as per the number of occupants, as it will help eliminating the unwanted difficulties.

Issabella's picture
Issabella
Visiting a far off place with my friends

Last year, my friends planned a surprise visit to a far off location on my birthday, and it became an unforgettable memory for me and my friends.  

Thanks!

דרור הלוי

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments