Fukushima

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Judd's picture
Judd
Fukushima

Below is a link sent to me by a friend. I read with "interest"

http://www.undergroundhealth.com/fukushima-now-in-state-of-emergency-lea...

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
I am also curious about Fukushima, Judd

Hi Judd-

I am also curious about what it going on in Fukushima, having also noticed some recent articles similar to yours.  It "sounds" really bad to me, yet no one else seems to be making a peep about it (which also strikes me as strange!)   I wish others with more knowledge and insight into what is (or may be) going on would share their opinions and assessments regarding how serious the consequences may (or may not) be. 

debu's picture
debu
Following the Situation at Fukushima Dai-ichi

The situation at Fukushima Dai-ichi is unfolding in a disastrous manner that was completely predictable.  But complacency and denial continue to rule the day both in Japan and abroad so we will just have to watch it unfold as it will. 

Sites I follow to keep abreast of developments are EXSKF, ENENews and Fukushima Diary,

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
thanks debu!

Thanks for the sites, debu!  I'll check them out.  I also found a video with Arnie Gunderson, who I remembered from when the Fukushima disaster was first unfolding: 

.  I think I  remember mixed reviews re Arnie here, some people very respectful of his expertise, and maybe others less so.  I'm no expert, but he seems very knowledgeable to me, and I found the comments on the video helped me get a better sense of the situation.  Be forewarned they do a little pitching for funding support at the end, kind of like an NPR fundraiser.

Thanks also for your comments.  I think you hit the nail on the head regarding complacency and denial ruling the day!

(edit) P.S.  Those look like good sites, debu, thanks!

P.S.S  I think one of the things that really bothers me re Fukusha now, is that there are very serious secondary problems/outcomes that could potentially be prevented -or at least mitigated to some degree.  But the people who could make that happen would rather stick their heads in the sand and ignore the problem, or lay blame and then ignore the problem, rather than taking full advantage of the time they have now to reduce the severity of potential future impacts.  Deja-vu all over again.

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
article with lots of source links

I ran into this today.  It seems to link to an interactive study guide of some sort, but I have yet to check it out.

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/fukushima-a-nuclear-war-without-a-war_082013

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Another article from ZH, referencing info from multiple sources

Here is another article from ZH, referencing info from multiple sources:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-17/radioactive-water-leaking-fukushima-what-we-know

"In lieu of the Japanese government doing the right thing and finally coming clean about the epic environmental catastrophe that is Fukushima, which it hopes to simply dig under the rug even as the inconvenient reality gets worse and thousands of tons of radioactive water make their way into the ocean, one is forced to rely on third-party sources for information on this tragedy. We present a useful primer from Scientific American on Fukushima "water retention" problem and "what you need to know about the radioactive water leaking from Japan’s Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific Ocean."

Radioactive Water Leaks from Fukushima: What We Know"

This excerpt pertained to just one of the sources of info referenced in ZH; there is quite a bit more information from other sources in the article, as well, for anyone interested.

skoki12's picture
skoki12
The worst case scenario gets more likely day by day

Scary stuff from RT http://rt.com/news/fukushima-apocalypse-fuel-removal-598/.  Their source is Christina Consolo who is an independent journalist who focusses  on nuclear issues.  She has a website called Fukushima facts http://www.fukushimafacts.com/Default.aspx?PID=1&T=Home While I can't find any particular expertise in her background, what she says makes sense and is terrifying.

Brad Wilson

skoki12's picture
skoki12
eexpo's picture
eexpo
suggestions for action?

What can I do to help this horrific situation? Anything?Watching this unfold is and doing nothing is too painful. 

Judd's picture
Judd
who to believe

The trouble I have is trying to figure out what the heck is really going on. Everyone has a reason to dispute any story coming out. The one thing that does strike me is the story basically has had no coverage after the disaster's immediate impact. The so called liberal media no longer really exists in mainstream reporting,  it is all very flash in the pan news, with agendas. 

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Fukusushi

As a PNW resident I've been keeping an eye on this as well.  I've been taking readings two to three times a week (ambient air, soil, fish dinners).  Typical measurements are in the 0.08 to 0.15 microsieverts per hour range (0.7 to 1.3 millisieverts annually, normal background radiation).  As a seafood fan, particularly tuna and salmon, I make it a point to check fish prior to eating.  The fun part is when the sushi chef (or a fellow patron at the bar) asks "what are you doing with that thing, what is that?" and I say "just checking the food for my blood sugar".  "Oh, ok...that's cool". 

Figure 1 - "Cool" sockeye salmon caught earlier this summer

I'll post if anything pops up interesting, assuming I don't get "rendered".

Oh, and by the way, to all of the NSA types out there - hope you guys/gals are having a good evening as well.

Cheers.

Ken (aka time2help)

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Hey, how come my sushi is warm?

Food for thought (or thought for food?): Radiation Detectors

Bon appetite!

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
Radiation Detectors

If Dogs In A Pile is still around maybe he can chime in, but my understanding is that the low priced radiation detectors are not useful for testing food for radiation.  I have read that you need a radiation detector called a "scintillation" detector that is pretty expensive.

I did a quick search looking for a link to include, but did not find any really good one.  However, some discussion clarified that the Geiger-Mueller tube detectors, which are what the low priced ones are will only detect food that has been heavily contaminated.

What you are worried about in contaminated food is not that it is highly radioactive, but that it contains tiny particles of material such as cesium that will build up in your body over time.  These particles may not be highly radioactive of themselves, but after you eat them they are radioactive enough to affect the cells that they are touching in your body.

To detect these low levels you need a very sensitive detector, probably in the $2000 price range.

Time2help's picture
Time2help
Scintillation

Rats. 

One more thing to keep on the radar.

Thanks for the heads up.

Ken

puran's picture
puran
A man-made tsunami?

Have any of you seen this site about Fukushima? http://www.jimstonefreelance.com/fukushima1.html

Jim Stone notes that the magnitude 9 earthquake off the coast that reportedly caused the tsunami would have reached the coast 40 minutes before the tsunami, yet when the water hit the coast, street poles were vertical, buildings undamaged, bridges intact, cars in neat rows in parking lots. There is no earthquake damage visible in photos of the coast as the tsunami swept in. Lots of damage due to the tsunami of course, but a 9 earthquake should have done major, major damage on its own, before the waves hit.

He also notes the strange "cameras" that were installed prior to the disaster. The conclusions he draws are too horrible to contemplate. What's wrong with his research?

pattyyray's picture
pattyyray
Israeli market

Below you can read about David Lichtenstein and the Israeli Capital debt market: 
http://jewishbusinessnews.com/2014/08/27/us-real-estate-developers-steven-witkoff-david-lichtenstein-playing-tel-aviv-debt-market/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments