Anybody Making Cheese?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
LG's picture
LG
Anybody Making Cheese?

Is anybody making cheese at home? I have tried several times with mixed results, mostly on the mixed side. I ran across this cute little blog where a lady is making several types of homestyle cheese. http://thoughtsfromfrankandfern.blogspot.com/

Does anyone have any other sources for making homemade cheese? I continue to make soft cheese with a variety of flavors, but I want cheddar.

Thanks in advance.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
yes, raw milk cheeses

we milk two cows ane one goat by hand each day(seasonally less or more). aged cheesesare trying for me as well(i've been at it for years) we've an indigenous mold in our arwea that tuns my aged cheese to blue if i age long enough. parms or salted curds will resist the blu mold.  robie

cowgap's picture
cowgap
Ricki the Cheese Queen

I have had success with goat milk cheeses.  I get ingredients and information (book and videos) from

http://www.cheesemaking.com/

good luck!

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Cheeses and cream

We are currently making 3 kinds of cheese and will be moving to aged cheeses shortly once we get our mini fridge converted over to a cheese cave.

We are milk three goats and get about a gallon and a half a day.

We are making Chev, Feta, and goat riccotta.  Yogurt, Kefir.

We have also recently started using our hand crank cream seperator to mak heavy cream and we have not made 2 batches of 100% local honey ice cream.  Summer is feeling pretty good on the food production front. 

Next is to make some goat butter and then goat ghee for high temp cooking. 

What type of milk are you using?

LG's picture
LG
Goat Milk

Jason,

We are milking three Nubian goats twice a day and on average get about a gallon and a half.

We have made chevre, yogurt, mozzarella and cheddar, but our success is inconsistent. Our cottage cheese is always rubbery. We are aging the cheddar in our regular refrigerator for now even though it is not ideal.

The hand crank cream separator we purchased did not work out. We found it was too much work for the results. Besides, the milk didn't taste as good after we had run it through the separator. Now we leave the milk in the refrigerator for a couple of days and skim the cream off the top. We keep it in the freezer until we have enough to make butter and ice cream.

It's nice to talk to someone else that's learning how to make cheese from goat's milk.

Thank you for your response.

LG

sugraham75's picture
sugraham75
Cheesemaking Kit

I've been homebrewing beer & wine for years and just this year decided to try my hand at making cheese.  One of the homebrewing websites I follow offers an advanced cheesemaking kit (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/advanced-cheese-kit.html).  I just recently purchased it and was impressed with the kit - full range of small-scale equipment for making soft cheeses (press required for hard cheeses) and a decent informational booklet included.  I haven't used it yet, still doing some research before I give it a go, but for a beginner, it seems to be a great lauching point for a controlled-environment start.

jasonw's picture
jasonw
DIY Cheese Press

sugraham75 - I will try to snap some pictures of our DIY cheese press.  It is very simple to set it up and it costs about 1/3 the price of a normal presses.  Good luck with your first cheese making adventure.  It is really fun and rewarding.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
rubbery cottage cheese

too low Ph.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
oops,

and/probably or too high temp

GoatMan's picture
GoatMan
Goats milk cheese

I've been making hard aged cheeses for years, a lot of trial and error using goats milk in the beginning.  I keep a log of all my batches.  When I'm ready to make cheese, I use 4 1/2 gallons of milk. That makes about three 1 1/2 pound rounds.  It's easier for me to make a large batch, than 3 small batches and I have 3 presses. I don't make large rounds, because it's hard to use that much cheese quickly enough before it goes to waste. 

With goats milk, you don't need nearly as much rennet as you do with cows milk and you need to use lower temperatures. I use 1.4 ml (about 1/3 tsp) in 4 1/2 gallons and lower the temperature 3 degrees to ripen.

My favorite book is "The Cheesemakers Manual" by Margaret P. Morris. I use her recipes with my adjustments.   She will talk to you on the phone and give you free advice if you are having difficulties (or she did for me years ago).  She has all the supplies you might need as well.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
local interest in cheesemaking

The natural foods store in our area says they will hook us up with local cheesemakers and dairies. Our local homebrew store also has cheesemaking supplies.

We have near neighbors from Laos who have Nubian goats. They do not milk them, yet: perhaps they are lactose intolerant like so many Asians? If things get rough I suggested we/they milk them. If it ends up being us, I'd be interested in making cheese. So I am following this thread with interest.

Our region has a lot of beef and dairy cattle, but interest in goats is increasing. Another neighbor, further away, now has six goats.

LG's picture
LG
Goat Milk Cheeses

Cowgap - What types of cheese have you made? We have bought some of our supplies from New England Cheesemaking. Thank you for the information.

GoatMan - Thank you for the resource. We use 4 gallons of milk and have adjusted the ripening time and the amount of rennet. We will keep trying. It is a lot of trial and error.

We noticed that Patrice Lewis at http://www.rural-revolution.com/ has displayed the Frank and Fern blog that we mentioned. http://thoughtsfromfrankandfern.blogspot.com/

LG

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments