Controlled Fusion

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
jerryr's picture
jerryr
Controlled Fusion

This is a continuation of the Muon Catalyzed Fusion post I started earlier. 

As I was studying the MCF patent application, I realized that the preferred embodiment doesn't even involve muons, nor a catalyst. So we shouldn't call it Muon Catalyzed Fusion.

The idea of the patent is that a spherical slug of deuterium and tritium atoms is hit with a tuned beam of microwaves inside a chamber saturated with a magnetic field. In other words, this is very similar to an NMR chamber. The electrons and protons resonate with the applied field and are sucked into a tiny ball. Because so much energy is being pumped into the system, the electrons fill the volume of the ball and become effectively much more massive, and the spacing between the protons becomes so tiny that fusion occurs.

If what this patent application says is true, a fusion reactor of this type might be about the size and complexity of a household microwave oven. Or maybe smaller.

If Dr. Jones (or Dr. Jacobson) invented this in his lab, it would have been an easy matter to keep the thing secret. In fact, what puzzles me most is how this information got on the web.

In the words of the patent:

"...Jacobson, Bjork, Chuang, and Yamamoto in their paper entitled Photonic De Broglie Waves (Physical Review Letters 74, 4835 (1995)) describe an effective Hamiltonian ... which can turn the coupling between atoms on or off. In that paper it is shown that the de Broglie wavelength is proportional to 1/(Number of coupled atoms). As described in the paragraph above, a successful means of carrying out low temperature fusion processes is to substitute the electron in tritium with the 200 times more massive muon thus decreasing the Bohr radius sufficient for the muonic tritium to approach a deuterium atom at room temperature. He we describe a similar situation however instead of using muons which are expensive (in terms of energy) to create a reduced Bohr radius we employ the idea of creating an effective Hamiltonian in which, because they are coupled to one another, the effective mass of each electron is increased and thus the Bohr radius is decreased. Referring to FIG. 7, a cavity (610) containing deuterium atoms or tritium atoms (640) has incident upon it a microwave source (630) and a magnetic field source (620) used to couple electron orbital states with the collective magnetic states of the ensemble of atoms in the cavity resulting in a Hamiltonian  in which the effective mass of each atom's electron scales as the number of atoms in the ensemble thus reducing the size of the effective Bohr radius and decreasing the coulombic barrier to fusion."

Shazam!!

Hmm... not so easy to post a picture here... but the patent application is at this link:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20080008286

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Dr. Storms Response.

I have run this paragraph past Dr. Edmond Storms. Did you get my private message?

jerryr's picture
jerryr
Thanks Arthur, but no PM received?

I would be very curious to see what Dr. Storms has to say. But, I don't have a PM from you.

jerryr's picture
jerryr
Got it, Arthur...

For anyone wondering what's going on: Dr. Storms thinks the MIT patent isn't right. So it's one expert against another.

Beyond a doubt, I have a lot to learn about this. Far be it from me to debate with Dr. Storms, his knowledge would run rings around mine.

Sterling Cornaby's picture
Sterling Cornaby
Dr. Jones

I don’t know much about this, but I do know that I once moved a plutonium source near one of Dr. Jones' labs and he hunted me down and asked me not to move this plutonium source near his lab again.  He was detecting neutrons from it.

He was very nice about it (I was just an undergraduate at the time).  He is a very nice man.

When I was around him (~1996-8) he was doing work on sonoluminscence, very small collapsing bubbles in liquid that for a very brief instant get really hot... this really hot moment might be able to stimulate fusion reactions.  I do remember him talking about D-T (or D-D?) molecules with an electron replaced with a muon, but I don't remember any details.

Anyway, I knew Dr. Jones, so I thought I would pipe in.

Jim H's picture
Jim H
I had lunch earlier this week...

with a physicist who had taken his new fangled alpha spectrum counter up to a MA hospital to bathe it in protons just to see how it would react... does that get me into this new thread?  I hope so.        

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Muppets

does that get me into this new thread?

You will have to beef up your argument If you want a corner of the ring. partner.

Anyways ,as I was saying to myself before you barged in, As a bony Fido groupie of the scientists doing research into Solid State Nuclear Reactions, I managed to corner Prof Kim and get his autograph.

And here we have him expounding his Bose Einstein Condensate hypothesis of how the Coulomb Barrier is penetrated.

Hold on to your sanity, here is how my interpretation goes.

Heisenburg said that on a fundamental level you may not know an objects position and it's momentum. If you turn down the heat on a particle you can tell it's momentum precisely. Therefore it's position becomes infinite. And this has been demonstrated by two young physicists, Eric Cornell and Carl Weimann of Boulder Colarado. (They got the Nobel prise for it along with Wolfgang Ketterle)

The point being that yes, this is a real phenomenon. You can see it with your own eyes.

My friend Charlie said that the only Condensates he had heard of was in super-cold and therefore motionless Bosons. He then changed the subjuect because he knew that he was on thin Ice. His Ego was at stake.

However there is another way to create a BE Condensate. Can you guess? Of cause you can.

It is in the first statement. "You may not know a bosons position and its momentum." So if a Boson is trapped in a metalic lattice, Why Sir, we know it's position. And the more precisely we know its position the less we can know about it's momentum. No need to super-cool the poor Boson at all. It will go berserk if you intrude on it's sense of decorum by trapping it.

And the more we know abouts its position the greater is it's momentum until the momentum becomes great enough to over-come the Coulomb Barrier.

Professor Muelenberg proposed a completely different mechanism (A fractional de Brolgie wave allowing for a fleeting inner Bohr orbit).

These different hypotheses are not mutually exclusive. We may be observing a slew of phenomena, each with a seperate explanation, or even a concoction of explanations.

You think that this is just too messy? May I suggests that you put your complaints in writing. Something along the lines of:

Dear God,

I disaprove of how you have got things set up. I am sure that I would have made a much better job of it.

Yours sincerely,

(Dont forget to sign your name.) S/HE is going to be amused.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
CF becomes bog standard.(A Historical moment in Time)

Kim Recently, I had an opportunity to observe experimental runs of DGTG’s R-5 reactor carried out by their group of scientists in Vancouver. The results were positive. More importantly the results are reproducible, since there had been many positive runs with other observers in addition to my observation.

This is very significant historically since we have now a device which yields reproducible results for the first time. It is a break-through which we have been waiting for.

The break-through is accomplished by new-comers, a new breed of scientists and engineers led by a mathematician who became an excellent scientist. This is a new wave and new paradigm change.

From CFN

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Letter to God - Thank you Arthur!

Arthur said,

Dear God,

I disaprove of how you have got things set up. I am sure that I would have made a much better job of it.

Yours sincerely,

(Dont forget to sign your name.) S/HE is going to be amused.

I am sending several copies to all known addresses to make sure I get my point across about how confusing all this advanced physics is.  Why the heck do these particles care whether I am looking at them or not?  

I love your posts, and this last interview with Kim was very interesting.  If indeed LENR has progressed to the point where the effect is reproducible (and potentially explainable in a way that allows for cause: effect manipulation) then we are getting closer to the point where you can tell us once again why we should wash our hands before delivering the baby, and we will have to listen.   

jerryr's picture
jerryr
Spoke to a physicist friend...

He agrees that the effect described in the Jacobson patent is operating in the correct direction. However, his feeling is that the challenge would be to maintain the configuration of the ensemble of atoms long enough to get fusion under way.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Suck and see.

Re-reading the patent I am reminded of Prof. Meulenberg's idea Jerry. (a fractional de-Brolgie).

It is a fact that there are too many explanations for the observed anomalies. I am willing to wager that we are being spoiled for riches.

It might be a mistake to try to describe all the phenomena with one umbrella hypothesis. 

Down there among the condensed matter atoms it gets awfully messy very quick. Plasma physics is a doddle in comparison. Equations and explanations become ugly. Perhaps there is no neat theory at all and the best approach is to suck and see. Empiricism.

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
"They Wouldn't, Would they?"

You Betcha.

"A university professor who has been supported by a multi-million dollar hot fusion contract and who becomes an advisor to the Department of Energy is unlikely to advise the government to fund a competitive low-energy technology. There would be very strong university pressure to continue in the development of hot fusion! This combination of federal funds, appointments to advisory groups, and the pressures for institutional funds on the advisors, has resulted in scientists becoming lobbyists with the following results:
__ The Office of Patents and Trademarks has been advised not to allow patents on competitive technology to hot fusion.
__ Leaders of some professional societies (such as the American Physical Society) have lobbied to prevent major peer-reviewed journals from publishing articles about competing technologies.
__ Officials in Washington ....."

Source

Just follow the money.

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Human Psychology Sometimes Guides "Science"

Good Morning Arthur,

Medicine, also, is full of stories where a clever marketing campaign influences physicians' practice patterns.  Even the origins of federal medicare payment incentive programs (to improve "quality of care") and national professional societies treatment guidlines have been traced back to PR firms hired by pharmaceutical companies.  One of the most dramatic and well documented was the sordid tale of Eli Lilly's sepsis drug, Xigris.  The original, thoroughly documented report, is found in the New England Journal of Medicine (but requires readers to purchase the article.....)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6298643

http://pulmccm.org/2012/randomized-controlled-trials/xigris-epitaph-prowess-shock-results-nejm/

Arthur Robey's picture
Arthur Robey
Collateral Damage.

Good evening Sand Puppy.

A Blockbuster drug is by definition a drug that is going to make the shareholders rich beyound their wildest imagination.

Did you see anything in that statement about the welfare of the patient?

jerryr's picture
jerryr
Wouldn't they? Why not?

Hi Arthur & sand_puppy,

I've read that the Patent Office is turning down cold fusion patents, because typical LENR phenomena operate at such low energy levels that for all practical purposes they're worthless as energy sources. So, they view LENR-style cold fusion as purely a scientific research endeavor.

The Jacobson patent purports to be something different: a practical low-cost, high-volume energy source. So why would the patent office refuse to issue the patent? Perhaps because Jacobson wasn't willing to demonstrate the technology to the examiner, and the examiner didn't have enough imagination to realize that it's going to work, or that it already does work.

Also: Arthur, you mentioned that things get messy in condensed matter. That's the beauty of this Jacobson process: it appears that it's addressed to matter in gaseous state. The math should be a piece of cake "for those skilled in the art"; although certainly there's also a place for cut-and-try.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments