What can we learn from the explosion in West, Tx?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tycer's picture
Tycer
What can we learn from the explosion in West, Tx?

My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the blast in West. 

It made me think about doing more due diligence on exploring just such danges around my home area. I think I'm safe, but I do not know for sure. Hmmm...

The attached video teaches the lesson to move far away from fires and not be a gawker. His child may have permanent hearing loss from the blast caused by his curiosity.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-17/massive-fertilizer-plant-explos...

<embed width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ROrpKx3aIjA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></embed>

S Anthony's picture
S Anthony
Waco, Texas Explosion Caught On Film

Tycer,

I've just copied the dead embeded link at the bottom of your post, and my god, that was one hell of an explosion. My thoughts and prayers are with families involved at this time.

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
home and workplace

I'm a safety engineer. One of the things they teach you in my profession is to know what the dangers are in your area, and prepare for them. Most of us have resonably safe home environments, but you should know its limitations. You should examine where you live and where you work - and think ahead in case of emergencies.

For example, my home is a little over a mile from a freight railroad. I've watched the pattern of what moves on that line, and when, and I am relieved to say it is mostly gravel and grain and animal feed-related. In NY you needed to know where the chemicals were shipped by rail - one job was near a train yard yard that housed and used chemical tanker trucks full of acid. One job was near a prison and we were all drilled on how to handle an escape. Where I now live if we ever have a fire we will need a tanker truck to bring water: the nearest hydrant is half a mile away. So here we have a particular emphasis on fire safety including an alarm, extinguishers, and a well that pumps 22 gallons a minute. We also live at the very edge of a possible plume from a nuclear plant, so we have iodine and plastic to protect windows.

These suggestions do not just apply to those near industrial plants or threats caused by civilizaiton. A person might live in the idyllic wilderness and still have to worry about regional issues with flooding, earthquakes, volcanic erruptions or a problem with bears. No matter where you live or work, and no matter what the hazards, it's  best to do an honest assestment and be ready - just in case.

Of course it's best to work or live in as safe a location as you can. If you can rule out as many hazards as possible at the point of job selection or home site selection, that helps. Yet so often we are prisoners of economic or family cicumstances and cannot live or work where we want. Just remember: even if you lived in Hawaii you'd have to worry about volcanoes and tsunamis.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments