Counting views

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Travlin's picture
Travlin
Counting views

In PeakProsperity the listings in the forums show the number of “views” for a “thread”.  In ResilientLife I can’t find a count for “views” for a “discussion”.  Is there a way to do this so I can track interest in a discussion that may have few replies?

Travlin

admin's picture
admin
The number of reads on a

The number of reads on a forum thread is not as useful as you might think.  This is a legacy item from the old site, and its value is limited.  

The total page views is typically much higher than the number shown in the forums.  We perform very aggressive caching of visitor traffic, so the reads are more focused on those who are registered members of the site.  There is a small component of the figures that are general site visitors, but it's minimal and highly underrepresented.

There are potentially other ways to more effectively track interest in a topic.  As with all functionality, it would need to be discussed and weighed against other initiatives.  We certainly appreciate the suggestion.

joesxm2011's picture
joesxm2011
That response sounds like a

That response sounds like a programmer explaining why they do not feel like doing something or discounting the value of the feature because it conflicts with some technical implementation.

I go to other sites that count the number of views and find it helpful to see that my post at least has been looked at by people.

One other site has a "thank" feature that is like the "thumbs up" here, but the other site does not have that feature and I miss it when over there.

admin's picture
admin
Joe, my message was not at

Joe, my message was not at all to discount the value of the feature.  In fact, I even said we appreciate the suggestion and as with all ideas, we would need to weigh it against the overall priorities.  A good technologist understands the difference between technical enhancements and broader business objectives, and consistently works to strike a balance between each.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments