"You Must Register for the Draft" Commercials

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak
"You Must Register for the Draft" Commercials

While driving home from work this evening a commercial (public service announcement?) came on the radio that caught my attention. This commercial was reminding young men that they are required to register for the Selective Service a.k.a. Draft. 
It was full of scare tactics and threats of a person not being able to get a government job, a student loan, government assistance, etc. if that person was a male between 18 and 25 years of age and had not registered as is required by law. 
This was on a San Diego station, but I'm sure they must be playing the same thing all over. Has anyone else noticed this commercial or something similar?
I was fortunate enough to miss the Vietnam War by a couple of years and never had to register. I've lived through all the "wars" and "police actions" and "peace keeping force manuvers" since then and never do I remember hearing a commercial telling young men that they need to register. 
Can anyone help me out here? Am I just paranoid, or is the government planning to reinstate mandatory conscription? ,,, or maybe planning to start a war? :

• North Koria?
  • Iran?
  • America?

,,,, or could this be part of Obama's "Put America Back to Work" plan?

Why now? With the current economy I would imagine that they would have more than enough volunteers to fill current needs and then some. It's not like there are so many great opportunities for high school graduates out there that no one is volunteering for the service. I know that it couldn't be that the government has so much extra revenue that they figured, "Hey, let's buy some commercials. I know, remind kids about registering for the draft. Yeah." Then again, they probably don't have to pay for the air time. 

So why now? I'm starting to feel that old 'Police State' feeling.

SS

A. M.'s picture
A. M.
More than a feelin'

And I don't mean the rock ballad.
The perpetual war machine is the most sure-fire way to ensure Keynesian fiat will continue until it absolutely cannot be contained, and hopefully by then we'll have killed everyone who wants to kill us first [sarcasm/].

I might catch flack for this, but I'd fully support mandatory conscription if we could turn the pre-emptive war faucet off and start a massive reduction of federal forces. I think having conscription on the state level to ensure that people are getting some basic skills and knowledge about life wouldn't be a bad thing for a country that's fragmented and lacks identity. Having a common goal is going to have to start with a common understanding, so I don't want to be quick to dismiss this as horrible, but I also don't trust the wisdom of any central authority. =\

Cheers,

Aaron

tictac1's picture
tictac1
Selective Service (any

Selective Service (any military service, actually) is simply indentured servitude, one of the many forms of slavery.  You become property of the state.  To force it upon an entire population, in the name of protecting "freedom" is a bit ironic.

Consider this: if it is necessary to force people into war in the name of protecting a so-called free country, is that country any longer worth protecting?

Even our entry into WW2, after the attack on Pearl Harbor, was a fraud.  We poked and prodded the Japanese into attacking us, and let's not even go into the material support our corporations (ahem, BUSH family) provided to the Nazis.

Any war we get into will certainly appear to be for very good reasons.  Just as certain will be the fact that we will have been lied to about what led to it.

Göring: Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.
Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.
Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.

Organic Raw Veggies's picture
Organic Raw Veggies
Registering

I have heard the commercial over the years. We had to register in the 80's. I won't let my son register when that time comes. 

S Anthony's picture
S Anthony
The Power of a Principle
tictac1 wrote:

Göring: Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.

Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.

Göring: Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

tictac1,

that's a transcript of Nazi military leader Hermann Göring, from a journal by the intelligence officer, psychologist and U.S. Army Captain Gustave M. Gilbert - during the Easter recess of the Nuremberg trials on April 18th, 1946 - isn't it? It took place in Göring's jail cell, and Gilbert later had the journal published into the book, Nuremberg Diary.

Speaking of Göring -and at the height of his power - I wonder what Joseph Goebbels looked like to the German's?:

I guess the advert is an indirect proof that gas fra'king is a fallacy then?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments