petition for hidden unlabeled aspartame in milk

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ao's picture
ao
petition for hidden unlabeled aspartame in milk

Under the guise of, "for the children", of course.  Another part of the dumbing down and poisoning for profit of America. 

http://www.naturalnews.com/039244_milk_aspartame_FDA_petition.html

Any time someone tells me they're doing something for "our safety" or "for the children", I immediately get suspicious.  These catch phrases are indicators that your health, privacy, liberty, or some other right is being threatened.

Jim H's picture
Jim H
Another good post AO

I don't mean to reflexively answer every post of yours AO.. but another good one.  

Some years ago, I started drinking fairly large quantities of diet soda.  About this same time, I started noticing problems with my vision.. which felt like eye strain, especially while driving.  I went to the eye doctor, and got a prescription for driving and reading glasses, figuring that this was just the result of aging.  Later, I started to notice a correlation between the amount of diet soda, and the severity of the problems I was having.  I now consume no products whatsoever that contain aspartame, including gum (almost every brand now contains aspartame).  I very rarely use my glasses anymore.. just use the reading glasses sometimes, like when I sort out the pre-1982 pennies from the pocket change jar.      

But, on to the punch line;  It turns out this was not some random pyschosomatic syndrome... rather it is simple chemistry (my field), and my own luck of the draw regarding the variability of human metabolic processes (not everyone reacts the same to toxic inputs);

The Role of Aspartame

Each of the components of aspartame - phenylalanine (50%); aspartic acid (40%); the methyl ester, which promptly becomes methyl alcohol or methanol (10%) - and their multiple breakdown products after exposure to heat or during prolonged storage is potentially toxic to the retina and optic nerves. These organs are highly vulnerable to metabolic disturbances and neurotoxins because of their unique metabolic requirements. Methanol causes swelling of the optic nerve and degeneration of ganglion cells in the retina.

Particular attention is directed in this regard to (1) the formaldehyde and formate (formic acid) that result from the breakdown of methyl alcohol, a severe metabolic poison, and (2) the D-aspartic acid stereoisomer.

source:  http://www.i-see.org/aspartame_eye.html

One can never be too careful about putting unnatural substances in one's body.  Putting this in milk off label would be an abomination... just this chemist's opinion.     

jasonw's picture
jasonw
Up next - Diet Chocolate Milk

I just want to throw it out there - this is the start of a new marketing campaign for "Diet Chocolate Milk".  The only reason the milk industry wants to put aspartame in milk is to sweeten flavored milk (chocolate & strawberry) while reducing the sugar content that they have received so much negative press about and trying to make flavored milk "healthier".  So now they will make skim diet chocolate milk.  Just 1 calorie!  Milk Zero!

This irks me to no end.  Can't we just drink milk. So much energy put into changing a simple, wholesome product.  What about a nice glass of water? My rant for the day.

ao's picture
ao
aspartame is a CNS excitotoxin

Jim,

You can answer any post of mine you'd like as much as you'd like.  I always appreciate your input.  Years ago, I had a similar negative experience with aspartame.  I had started taking a very popular meal replacement powder at the time and noticed that I was beginning to forget some things.  Being in my early 40s at the time, I assumed I was "just getting old", even though I was in the best shape of my life at 6' 2", 232 lbs. with very low body fat and higher strength and performance levels than when I was in my 20s and 30s.  My memory prior to taking the MRP had been superb.  Although I felt terrific physically, the memory loss concerned me and I noticed it was gradually worsening.  I scrambled around looking for answers and discovered that the MRP contained aspartame, a Monsanto product and CNS excitotoxin which, among other things, was known for causing "brain fog".  I immediately stopped taking it and my memory gradually improved but never quite to the level I had before. 

Obviously, the potential inclusion of aspartame in milk and diary products means further outsized profits for Monsanto.  It also means the further "dumbing down" of the population.  One thing I notice nowadays with so many people, including young people, is how poor their memories are.  Whether this is due to chemicals, EMR, or something else, I can't say for sure but I know what I see.  I sometimes complain to my wife that the thing I dislike the most about getting older is the decline in my memory.  She says my memory is better than anyone she knows and when I compare myself to a lot of young people I interact with, that would seem to be true.  But it's not what it once was.  And I know others who have had similar experiences or other adverse health reactions.  As you say, the fact that this ingredient would not be labelled is an abdomination.

RJE's picture
RJE
ao,

I agree 100%. When these type catch phrases are used I investigate. That simple.

BOB

Lnorris's picture
Lnorris
Aspartame and brain tumors

And we wonder why the incidence of neurological disorders is increasing...aspartame and sucralose sweeteners dot the landscape of every table in senior living facilities.  God forbid they should have regular sugar.  Instead lets poision the population across all demographics and increase the volume of patients into the neverending loop of the sick care system.  Just my Friday afternoon rant.

http://www.naturalnews.com/011804_aspartame_NutraSweet.html

I have not read anything about organic milk. Since they don't have to label it I guess we won't know.  

Fabulous.  

I love this country, but our eleceted officials do not have my consent to represent me anymore.

Lynne

maceves's picture
maceves
memory loss

I had a similar experience a few years ago.  I had been drinking a lot of diet soda and chewing  diet chewing gum and was beginning to realize I had some kind of addiction to the stuff.  I was also suffering memory loss and "brain fog" that my doctor could find no physical reason for.

I found an internet website listing possible side affects of aspartame, and there it was----I wasn't the only one!  I have since avoided aspartame and slowly returned to what is normal for me.  It was a scare.  

I was guilty of buying diet drinks and leaving them in the car in the heat before taking them in the house---who knew that formaldahyde was building up in there?  There are some that blame the illnesses of soldiers returning from the first Iraq war on diet sodas left out in the heat.

At any rate, putting a neurotoxin in children's chocolate milk seems criminal to me.  I hate Monsanto so much....

robbie's picture
robbie
I don't agree with the

I don't agree with the concept of unlabeled food additives, but the amount of toxin produced is generally believed to be equivalent to, or less than some commonly ingested fruits and vegetables. I have known people exquisitely sensitive to aspartame and others that could consume a truckload of the stuff with no stated or apparent adverse effects. Toxicity and side effects are likely highly correlated with unique personal metabolic factors. Aspartame is still one of the most studied (if not THE most studied) food additive in history.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

ao's picture
ao
robbie wrote: I don't agree
robbie wrote:

I don't agree with the concept of unlabeled food additives, but the amount of toxin produced is generally believed to be equivalent to, or less than some commonly ingested fruits and vegetables. I have known people exquisitely sensitive to aspartame and others that could consume a truckload of the stuff with no stated or apparent adverse effects. Toxicity and side effects are likely highly correlated with unique personal metabolic factors. Aspartame is still one of the most studied (if not THE most studied) food additive in history.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

robbie,

I generally agree with what you stated but please be aware that (1) I didn't make any of the adverse health claims as specifically quoted in the snopes article (but I don't dismiss them either), (2) NEVER, EVER trust snopes to be fully objective because they're most definitely not, and (3) if I can avoid buying anything made by Monsanto, I do.

OITW's picture
OITW
In Iraq our bottled water sat

In Iraq our bottled water sat in plastic bottles in 130 degree heat for days on end. What leached from the bottle into the water? My particular unit had a suprising bloom of kidney stones, the docs sent different bottle of water out for testing, all sorts of surprises in that water which was bottled in Qatar.

Same with Diet Coke, which the Army seems to be addicted to (I was Navy, which seems to be addicted to Mountain Dew, although I managed to avoid that). Dedicated drinkers swore that the stuff delivered to us by supply channels, and bottled in various Middle East locations, tasted different than the stuff that came through AAFES and mail deliveries from friends/family.

Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised. And yes, putting an unlabeled neurotoxin in any food should be criminal.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments