Supreme court won't review telecom immunity for surveillance

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Supreme court won't review telecom immunity for surveillance

The U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to consider a challenge to a 2008 federal law granting immunity to AT&T Inc and other telecommunications companies for helping the government eavesdrop on customers' private phone conversations.

Section 802 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, passed in the wake of the attacks of September 11, 2001, bars a variety of civil actions against anyone providing assistance to the intelligence community.

Read the rest of the article.

dshields's picture
dshields
not a surprise

I am not surprised. What does surprise me is the number of different surveillance programs the government(s) have going. From road and intersection cameras to the Utah Data Center to the IRS to who knows what else and for what purpose ? Why do they believe they are justified in spending many billions of our dollars watching us and tracking us ? To what end ? What is the justification ? I hate to say it but somehow it seems unAmerican to me. There is something wrong with it. When I was a kid none of that was going on and everything was just fine. The government(s) obviously think it is a good thing or they would not do it.  All of it is cloaked in darkness.  I wish someone with first hand knowledge on this site would drop us a line on this thread and explain the justification for the expenditures.  Maybe they know something I don't and if I knew it then I would agree that it is justified.  But, without any real knowledge it looks to me like it is not justified and therefore a mistake.  I will make a prediction - a rare event - that no matter who gets elected in November it will continue.

MarkM's picture
MarkM
Not surprised either

Not only will it continue, it will worsen.

dshields's picture
dshields
still not a surprise

Parts of the government(s) have been preparing for some time for either an energy or an economic emergency. I suppose the government(s) need to have plans and preparations for emergencies. The problem I see is this part of the plan, the spying on us part, should not happen. Should they stockpile food - sure. Should they stockpile antibiotics - sure. Should they have the equipment to stop riots and looting - sure. Should they stockpile water - sure. But do they need to spy on us - not so sure. You can always count on the government making plans to save itself. Now, what does that mean ? What should it mean ? What if the east coast gets hit with an EMP from a high altitude burst or the sun ? The people will need the government to help. Do they need to spy on us to do that ? So you have to think about why they would want to spy on us. Since the government does not come forward with the truth, that only leaves me with guessing. What I guess is they are scared of the people. Why would they be scared of the people ?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments