Why the lack of interest in commercial hemp?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
1440 minutes's picture
1440 minutes
Why the lack of interest in commercial hemp?

Hello.  I am back after about 3 years.

I am wondering why commercial hemp doesn't get much play on this site.  It seems that each time that this topic has been posted during the last couple of years, few have commented on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

If commercial hemp is not at least a partial solution to peak oil, then could someone please debunk it?  Thank you.

Organic Raw Veggies's picture
Organic Raw Veggies
Why not hemp?

I guess there is a lack of interest considering nobody relied. Many other countries have exploding hemp markets. I import hemp seed and hemp protein powder by the pallet from Canadian farmers. There are sooooo many products hemp oil, better than fish oil, leaves for ethanol, stems for rope, hemp oil car hempcar.com, hemp seed is a super duper food, hemp flour for breads, hemp protein for smoothies. Hemp nut butter better than peanut butter. The reason hemp is not an industry in the US is because it would spread wealth over a wide range of people. The elites do not want progressives to get money, the world might become a better place, people might care about their neighbors, a social movement birthed. Anyone could grow some. It could be grow in wasteland properties, under power lines, in parks. The dot com bubble was spreading wealth in the late 90s so we needed a crash. Now the elites own toilet paper dot com and pets.com instead of Nice Joe liberal. Instead we close our parks at dark, have anti cruising laws, people cannot gather and share any more. Everyone must stay in your house watching tv and learning to be greedy. Russia, romania, Canada and many more have hemp industries. I have purchased a bunch of hemp clothing. It is soft and durable, more than cotton. Hemp is not marijuana. But marijuana should be legal too. Smoke a joint with your adversary and you will be life long friends. Love your neighbor. You are God. You are one with nature and hemp. Hemp is the number one miracle plant that can save the planet. Peace and blessings. Ras Tafari. We need to educate the gamers to demand hemp growing or set themselves on fire at the Washington monument.

voicesoftheland's picture
voicesoftheland
Commercial hemp

Hemp is an incredible commercial plant. I'm interested, too, to know why everyone seems to be afraid of the topic. It has such potential!

ralfy's picture
ralfy
Do not worry. It will take

Do not worry. It will take place, together with many other energy alternatives that will be needed for basic needs.

1440 minutes's picture
1440 minutes
Are people afraid or are they

Are people afraid or are they just incredulous?  Or are we just wrong?

1440 minutes's picture
1440 minutes
I am concerned that because

I am concerned that because hemp is illegal to grow in the U.S., it would take advocacy from people like us to make it happen.

RW's picture
RW
Great questions. We here in

Great questions. We here in Washington state have a vote coming on the legalization of marijuana. Perhaps that will help start tipping the conversation toward hemp as a commercial entity if we pass that initiative. One can only hope.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
Such an amazingly versatile

Such an amazingly versatile plant!  And yet so much fear and ignorance.  Thank the cotton lobby...I've often felt that commercial cultivation of hemp here in Hawaii could transform our economy from Military/Tourism to something more sustainable.  We have umpteen thousands of acres of ex-sugar land lying fallow.  "But marijuana is a gateway drug to ice, don't you know?"  Sheesh.  If we took all those "Green Harvest" $$ spent on police OT and helicopters, we could "seed" a decent new ag industry and change our future.  But perhaps the time is nigh.  Advantage to the first adopter.  Aloha, Steve.

RNcarl's picture
RNcarl
One word

Prohibition 

Google Henry Ford and Prohibition you will have your answer. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments