Gold/Silver mining companies

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
bcc87's picture
bcc87

As part of my short/long term outlook, Im seeking to add a small portion of my portfolio with gold/silver mining companies.

There are so many companies/options out there. Can anybody recommend any specific companies and/or ETFs to consider from your experience?

I understand the risks involved with mining companies. If this was a prior topic, please send over the link.

thanks!

Jim H's picture
Jim H
I love talking about the miners....

So... the easiest way to diversify is through ETF's GDXJ/GDX.  I favor GDXJ, the junior miners ETF, as it just moves harder (both up and down).. and I am expecting lots of "up" to come.  I have some GDXJ right now.  As well, I play individual miners, trying to diversify across both size, geo, and type (exploration vs. producing vs. producing with dividend), excluding all penny stocks (miners with sub-$100M market caps).  I have honestly given up on doing much of any fundamental research on the miners... this may be some kind of stock picker blasphemy, but I just let the market tell me which miners are favored by watching how they move... it was in this way that I picked Primero mining (PPP) about 1/2 way up the beautiful rise in this chart over the past few months; 

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts?s=PPP#symbol=ppp;range=6m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;     

Miners really moved today... they are really, really undervalued.   TGD (one that I own) up 5.5%, SVM and RVM (Silver miners I like ) up almost 7% each.  If you begin to play individual miners.. the lesson I have learned is that you have to be ready to cut and run at very short notice.. for instance, I owned GFI, and I sold immediately when the first group of striking Pt miners were slaughtered by SA police with automatic weapons... you just never know in this world.  There are lots of miners... watch them all and get a feel for it - again, GDXJ will get you right into the action, well diversified, and well leveraged to the PM prices since it is composed of the smaller miners.    All the best,  Jim         

Jim H's picture
Jim H
BTW....

It might be a little late now to catch a ride on PPP..   it just popped this morning up 40% at the open... shows that it can pay to listen to what the market is saying   : ) 

locky man's picture
locky man
List of Gold/Silver mining companies

Hi...

Here is the list of some Gold/Silver mining companies. you can get help from this

http://www.24hgold.com/english/listcompanies.aspx?fundamental=true&commodity=AG

bcc87's picture
bcc87
Jim, which chart/website have

Jim, which chart/website have you found to best to follow individual mining stocks as you elluded to above?

Serge Janson's picture
Serge Janson
Miners in Australia

Hey Jim

Do you follow any Gold or Silver MIners in Australia

TimC's picture
TimC

I have had some holdings of physical gold and silver for a few years as I don't trust banks, governments or stock markets! I can recommend Ed Steer's Gold & Silver Daily at http://www.caseyresearch.com/gsd for a general commentry on the gold and silver markets - though don't be surprised to find some opinions expressed that are politically somewhat to the right. Ed's blog is free - if you are prepared to pay $99 per year have a look at http://www.angelpub.com/pubs/msp where a guy called Greg McCoach gives investment advice on specific mining companies. Hope this is helpful.

bcc87's picture
bcc87
Have you utilized the $99

Have you utilized the $99 service? worth the $ for the specific mining comps?

nameofthegame's picture
nameofthegame
I suggest you take a look at

I suggest you take a look at Byron King's Outstanding Investmentments. At $49 or so a year, the recommendations are definitely worth it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments