Just Moved To The Exurbs

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Just Moved To The Exurbs

Well we did it. Today we closed on a house "at the edge of the world" as my wife and I call it. 62 miles from work, right on the edge of the Everglades. Wife and I carpooling with a Toyota Prius addresses the commute issue, but besides a natural desire to return to our country roots, the location of our new home was strategic. By contrast: 

Old home: Condo in the city, two blocks from a very bad neighborhood. Very limited gardening potential. Basically the patio was "stuffed with planters". High cost of living, Security issues involved with neighbors on top of us. City neighbors. Rude neighbors. Crime has been going up. Traffic congestion, noise pollution, insane property restrictions. We basically were in front of the fan when the SHTF. 

New Home: In a low density exurb, with few businesses, zoned Agricultural-Residencial which allows for livestock. 3 acre property with plenty of room to grow food. New home built well, and in excellent condition. Southern rear roof exposure perfect for solar. The area is known for strong community bonds and refugees that are sick and tired of the consumer lifestyle. Several CSAs in the area and lots of growers of both fruits and nursery plants (agricultural expertise) You'll find homes with horses, chicken coops, goats mowing the lawn (not kidding), some even have cows and hogs.  Lots of gardens. These folks are ahead of the curve. Property already has mango, coconut, avacado, lemon and lime trees. Banana trees going in next week. It's not really a suburb as the properties are 1.5-20 acres each. All residential roads are unpaved for the horses. The area is very low traffic and you see horses every single day on the dirt roads, or the dirt paths on the sides of the main roads. These are the kind of folks that we feel most safe around (lots of self sufficiency) and the distance barrier from the high population density areas is comforting. We're farther away from the fan. 

So, we talk about energy here. Jezzz Morph, 62 miles each way?? Well, with the Prius its a tad over 2 gallons per day to commute. And option B is that about 7 folsk from work live up here and they vanpool which is dirt cheap. So while the energy issue is a negative, the net positives vastly outweigh the negatives. 

Ohh, there's a drainage canal right behind us for emergency irrigation. And we have well water. With solar and well water we have another level of self sufficiency. 

So I thought I'd bring this up as an option for folks that can't, or won't just drop their careers and move out to the sticks. The population density is just high enough to form good community bonds and offer protection, but not so high that mob mentality sets in. 

Some folks here might want to consider the exurbs if the benefits outweigh the energy concerns. And as you see, we found a way to mitigate that too. 

VeganDB12's picture
VeganDB12
Exurbs

Morpheus

Thank you for sharing your encouraging story. What a lot of work to get to that point, what a very well thought out plan, I am happy for you and yours. It is an inspiration to me as one of those who is having trouble leaving a career in which many people depend on me day to day. Food for thought.  I am a condo renter with a terrace "stuffed with planters" doing my initial homeowork on relocation.

Best wishes. It sounds like an amazing adventure.  Hope to hear more about how it goes as you develop your land, new home and your community.

Denise

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Denise2257114
Denise2257114 wrote:

Morpheus

Thank you for sharing your encouraging story. What a lot of work to get to that point, what a very well thought out plan, I am happy for you and yours. It is an inspiration to me as one of those who is having trouble leaving a career in which many people depend on me day to day. Food for thought.  I am a condo renter with a terrace "stuffed with planters" doing my initial homeowork on relocation.

Best wishes. It sounds like an amazing adventure.  Hope to hear more about how it goes as you develop your land, new home and your community.

Denise

The biggest barriers were distance related. First, for us it's and hour and 20 commute each way. Second, energy usage. So Trinity (my wife) and I put our heads together and just factored in the cost of a hybrid into the house. Sure the drive is a disadvantage, but the advantages so outweight the negatives that it was a no-brainer. Plus there are a lot of carpoolers up there. Most of the people are there are professional working class all going into the city. My buddies who live there tell me that carpooling is easy. Just ask your neighbors. 

Right now you just have to plan for all events and plan accordingly. When we lived in the condo, we worked out a plan where we could sit tight for 6 months if needed. It can be done, just that it's a bigger challenge than living out where there is space. 

Doug's picture
Doug
Congrats Morpheus

I've commuted an hour each way for 20 years, but have been able to work from home two days a week.  You get used to the drive, and it helps to have a Prius.  Now you have to start buying livestock.  Good luck.

Doug

Travlin's picture
Travlin
Congratulations

Morpheus

Congratulations on realizing a well considered plan.  Your logic is solid and your future much brighter.  Keep us posted on your development of your property.  You have a lot to look forward to.

Travlin 

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
go team Morpheus!

Happy for you Morpheus-man. Your semi-rural sounds even more rural than mine. Plus your long commute is, as you stated, insulation from "the fan" but the job keeps you able to pay for things until then. Much better than where you were and I envy you the mature fruit trees.

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
ChrisMartenson.com had a huge

ChrisMartenson.com had a huge impact on our planning of this. From monitoring the housing market (we didn't bite when the shills were screaming bottom!) to interest rates, to resource considerations. We planned and chose this house based on a lot of criteria easily found and well discussed on this site. I'll tell you this. I am going to feel a lot more secure up here then down there where I used to be. Oversized underground LPG tank gives us a year of gas per fillup and combined with well water and solar we should be set. Solar going in after we settle.  

earthwise's picture
earthwise
Congrats!

Echoing the above comments, sounds like an awesome setup. Way to go!

Sooo... now that you'll be carpooling on the long commute, does that mean you'll have some time to resume your contributions to CM.com... err Peak Prosperity.com??

Just wonderin'...we missed you.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
And don't forget the

And don't forget the collaborative effort with Aaron's homework!  enlightened

Oliveoilguy's picture
Oliveoilguy
Outback Solar
Morpheus wrote:

ChrisMartenson.com had a huge impact on our planning of this. From monitoring the housing market (we didn't bite when the shills were screaming bottom!) to interest rates, to resource considerations. We planned and chose this house based on a lot of criteria easily found and well discussed on this site. I'll tell you this. I am going to feel a lot more secure up here then down there where I used to be. Oversized underground LPG tank gives us a year of gas per fillup and combined with well water and solar we should be set. Solar going in after we settle.  

Way to go!  

When you look at Solar, check out the Outback GS8048. System has worked flawlessly for us for 7 months. We have grid tie with battery backup. I was able to install it myself. Bit of a learning curve, but worth the effort. Outback was very supportive during the installation process. 

joemanc's picture
joemanc
Congrats

Morph - Congrats. I too also live 50+ miles from work. Not quite the exurbs, but a small town more to my liking if/when TSHTF. You are right about carpoolers - they are around, just a matter of finding them. Not enough people do it IMHO. But $4/gallon gas divided by 2 or 3 people sharing a ride and all of a sudden $2/gallon, or less, looks very cheap.

treemagnet's picture
treemagnet
Now you're

part of the problem, like me, by not living in a massive city, telecommuting and only adding to the peak oil dilemma......way to go!  No seriously, congrats! and I like the commuting/gallon/person comment somebody else posted - changes the old bad to new good.  I've got a problem with snakes personally, but otherwise good luck and enjoy.

RJE's picture
RJE
Morph, city driving and

Morph, city driving and country driving are two different animals. One pleasant the other slow and boring. It use to take me an hour to go 20 miles when I lived in the city. Then when I moved out into the country it was farm land driving and one lane roads, yet I covered three times the distance in the same hour. If this is your drive you will absolutely NOT mind the drive because it is stress free, no honking horns, and middle finger pointing with the F bomb crazies that road your bumper for miles. Good for you and your family.

Hey, if you don't have a hand pump on your well get one. Great if the power goes out until you set up your back up power source. You'll want to be able to flush them toilets too so 5 gallon buckets are a must. Or just run a small pump from the tank to the house for ease of water. I believe Chris had a solar pump put on his well. Also, if you have a barn then get a storage tank (plastic and light) set up, it holds 1,000 gallons of water in a confined space. Fill it as you are able depending on your wells pressure, and gallons per minute. You'll have a nice emergency supply. I had a shower in my barn with a small hot water heater and it was great when needed. Hey, you'll be surprised at how ofter you use it. I always had a water tester and would add chlorine when needed but a cover to block ambient sun light was a cheap buy also. Then removed the chlorine when I drank it.

Good Deal and you will love the quietness of it all. I am excited for you because nature in the country and the natural noises are comforting, they really are. Wait until your fruit trees flower and fill the air with that sweat smell, you will literally stick your nose right inside the flowers. Good stuff.

BOB

Nighttripper's picture
Nighttripper
Congrats

Hey Morph,

Congrats on making the big move! Its sound like you found yourself a really nice place.

I just joined the site, as I was inspired by your posting. Matter of fact, I'm headed to upstate NY this weekend to start some preliminary work on making the big move myself. At 80 miles each way from my job, the commute is daunting, but I know we can't stay where we are here in NJ, right outside NYC. If the SHTF, I will never forgive myself. It's almost futile to prep around here, if the SHTF, I doubt it would be safe no matter how prepared you are. 

So I need to continually inspire myself by reading stories like yours, and watching videos like "Your Pyramid Future" which Chris M did a really amazing job on. I am a very serious student of markets and the economy, and have decided to use the conviction I have gained from my studies to prepare in non finacial ways, including relocating, hunting, foraging, and woodworking.

Luckily, my wife's family lives upstate, in apple country, and is very much on board with prepping, so I am looking to head up there.  Its not the most optimal location, but its our best, most realistic option, as I would never to be able convince my wife to go to truly optimal places like NH or Utah.

I hope to be talking to all of you much more in the future!

Joe

Wendy S. Delmater's picture
Wendy S. Delmater
Welcome Nighttripper

I  left Suffolk County on Long Island for the same reasons. Glad you joined us. Lots to see here!

Be well,

Safewrite

pinecarr's picture
pinecarr
Congratulations, Morpheus!  

Congratulations, Morpheus!

It sounds like you and your wife did a great job of figuring out what you wanted, and finding a place that fit  the bill.  It is inspiring.  Please keep us posted on your progress!

mobius's picture
mobius
the Homestead is where the heart is...

Hi Morph!

A good call.  Wishing you & Triny all the best in getting settled in.

Cheers, Joanne.

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
So happy for you!

We bought 28 acres in rural up north Michigan a year ago. It took us a year to find the property. We are relocating a 1876 log cabin onto the property this fall. It's daunting, expensive and Time consuming..
But after years of prepping downstate, the Holy Spirit tells us that packing the trailer and heading up to the cabin will be the only place that's safe.
Our permanent home is a four acre suburban oasis, only 40 miles from Detroit.
Its a beautiful spot with our own well and chickens and huge garden. But we know that in a collapse senario we will not be safe.
For us to run our business (bail bonds), we need to stay where we are for now. But someday we will walk away and live 200 miles North and until then, I won't really feel safe.
So good move and don't look back.

RJE's picture
RJE
Roman's 12.2, that puts you

Roman's 12.2, that puts you around Grayling (definately God's Country) or there abouts. We have a place at Black Lake not too far from Grayling. Are you Mt.Clemens way now or West towards Oakland County or Metro Airport? We live in Richmond and that puts us out of Detroit 40 miles. Not being nosy but...

BOB

Romans12.2's picture
Romans12.2
Yes we are close!

Our property is about 45 miles East of Grayling. And our home is Milford. Wow, so close and I've read your comments here for years! it's pretty cool to think of other people, thinking the way we are thinking, and right here. It's easy sometimes to think that my worries are not real. That all of you people I read are just part of my paranoia world, not real people with real families. I know that sounds stupid, but honestly it's how isolated I feel sometimes about my fear for the future.
Anyway - happy to hear from an Eastsider.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Romans & Robert

Sounds like you guys should consider creating a Group for those in Michigan :)

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
new look

So......Adam.  I guess you've decided razor blades are not sustainable?  Lookin' Good!  Aloha, Steve.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
LOL

LOL - thanks, Steve! (My kids are still on the fence about the scruff. Wife, too..)

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
beardness

Wow.  That brought up a memory of my Dad- who's now 86- growing a mustache in the early/mid '70's.  We kids thought it was.....interesting, and maybe cool (my Dad- cool?).  My sweatheart prefers me with a beard, but at my advanced degree of decrepitude ( I turn 60 this month....) I look in the mirror, and ask "who's that old guy with the beard?" so the clean-shaven look prevails currently.  I'm wagerin' your wife will prefer the softness of the beard to the 5:00 sandpaper.  You guys kiss, right?  Ha!  Have fun!  Aloha, Steve.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
et tu Morpheus?

So as to not go to totally OT-  how about you Morph?  Your avatar sports a beard,  now that you're "out in the country", got a beard to prove you're "goin' rural"?  Oh, and congratulations on your move.  I'm wrestling with a similar- though probably lateteral- move myself.  Aloha, Steve.

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
yikes, 2 strikes....

Wrong twice on one posting!  That avatar doesn't have a beard- how did they shave in the Matrix?- and I don't have a "sweatheart".  I do have a wonderful sweetheart, though.  Just couldn't let those stand...Aloha, Steve.

Dogs_In_A_Pile's picture
Dogs_In_A_Pile
thatchmo wrote: Wrong twice
thatchmo wrote:

Wrong twice on one posting!  That avatar doesn't have a beard- how did they shave in the Matrix?- and I don't have a "sweatheart".  I do have a wonderful sweetheart, though.  Just couldn't let those stand...Aloha, Steve.

We just figured you got into some bad two-finger poi.

As opposed to good poi.......indecision

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote: And
Dogs_In_A_Pile wrote:

And don't forget the collaborative effort with Aaron's homework!  enlightened

Aaron just posted something funny on FB. Might want to check it out. 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
Hey Guys. Sorry I bailed on

Hey Guys. Sorry I bailed on my own thread but we spent the past 2 weeks moving in and we're here. I am salivating over the new opportunities that I didn't have in the condo and right now am looking to my right at the mini orchard that my wife and I planted. Avacado, banana, coconut, lemon, lime, and orange. 

I feel more safe and secure up here. City folks have to go 20 miles out of there way to come here, and while it could happen, the buffer certainly protects us from urban rioting. 

Taking a break as my surgically repaired back just can't handle anymore. So now we're going to take it easy for a spell and relax for a few weeks. 

Ohh, I love sitting on the patio and hearing all of the neighbor's roosters in the morning. Also made a deal with my neighbor. She agreed to let me take as much horse manure (fertilizer!!) as I can carry for the garden. She's up to her ears in it and is glad to give it away!

I love living at the edge of the world. 

Morpheus's picture
Morpheus
treemagnet wrote:part of the
treemagnet wrote:

part of the problem, like me, by not living in a massive city, telecommuting and only adding to the peak oil dilemma......way to go!  No seriously, congrats! and I like the commuting/gallon/person comment somebody else posted - changes the old bad to new good.  I've got a problem with snakes personally, but otherwise good luck and enjoy.

We already have a carpool set up. Prius in a month, split 4 ways. But we're pooling now in a 4 cyclinder. With the Prius that's 3.5 gallons a day for the commute. Or less than a gallon per person. That is actually a LOT greener than what my wife and I were doing when we lived in the city. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments