1998 Canadian Ice Storm

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
land2341's picture
land2341
1998 Canadian Ice Storm

I am hoping some one here can help me find a slide series or film.  Many of you know there was a massive ice storm in Canada and Northern America in 1998 that caused huge problems for large areas for a long time.  Some areas where without power for a month.

In 1999,  some one from the Canadian Emergency Management came to the US (to Philadelphia) to give a speech about this experience.  He had both a video and slide show (I do not know what technology he used) showing the techniques the city used to manage the power needs.  It showed, in particular the use of a diesel engine driven u a city road to power a hospital?  or school/shelter.....  can't recall now.

There was great material in there both about managing such a  disaster from the power side and from the people perspective.   If anyone can find me that info I would be very grateful.  What I can find is personal pictures and a few videos from the news,  but not this report/data.

Any help really!

Ruhh's picture
Ruhh
Re: 1998 Canadian Ice Storm

You might be able to get a lead from one of the following organizations. Do you remember if it was a govt. organization?

Canadian Centre for Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Response Institute of Canada

Public Safety Canada (federal government site)

hope this helps

james_knight_chaucer's picture
james_knight_chaucer

We have a similar gadget here in the UK for use when electricity cables are damaged. Basically they are a large steel box that arrives on the back of a lorry, and is left in place until the lines are repaired. I bet they are incredibly expensive though.

land2341's picture
land2341
Ruhh wrote:

You might be able to get a lead from one of the following organizations. Do you remember if it was a govt. organization?

Canadian Centre for Emergency Preparedness

Emergency Response Institute of Canada

Public Safety Canada (federal government site)

hope this helps

Thank you, yes it was a government representative.  I'll get busy with these!

And the Canadians did not have a bog generator on a lorry,  they actually drove a diesel engine train off of the tracks and down a city street!  They knew it was destroying both the street and the wheels of the engine,  but they figure both could be fixed later.  It was the sight of this engine in the street and the torn up street behind it that stuck with me all these years.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments