What's One Of The Best Pieces Of Life Advice You've Received?

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
skipr's picture
skipr
Mom to skipr

Stop picking your nose!!!

lambertad's picture
lambertad
My Uncle

My uncle recently passed away, yesterday actually. He had an intellectual disability and severe arthritis to the point that in his later years he couldn't even take his shoes off due to the arthritis. He slept with his shoes on. My dad (his brother) who was his partial caretaker in his later years didn't know until my uncle went to the hospital for a hip surgery gone wrong. His bed sheets at his feet where dirty. Dad never saw him without his shoes on. My uncle grew up on a dairy farm and lived with my grandparents his entire life. I was reflecting on his life today and one thing that I remember about him, I don't ever remember hearing him complain. Not a single time. About anything. Bailing hay, building fence, cutting firewood, shoveling coal, plowing the road in winter, carrying milk cans, feeding calves, nothing. Not a single complaint I can ever recall. Amazing. 

Rest in peace, Uncle Nev. 

travissidelinger's picture
travissidelinger
My favorite Civilization IV quotes

"Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies."

- Thomas Jefferson

"If you speak the truth, have a foot in the stirrup."

- Turkish Proverb

"You can't direct the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

- Unknown

"If you chase two rabbits, you will lose them both."

- Native American saying

"If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics."

- Roger Bacon

"The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy."

- Unknown

"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe."

- Albert Einstein

"There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance."

- Ali ibn Abi-Talib

aking's picture
aking
First post!

I've been collecting some personal maxims/thought-provokers and I've typed some of these up on little tent cards and put them on my desk at work as reminders. 

Most I just made up myself but some are quotes from various books, podcasts, song lyrics. I wish I kept track of the original authors but unfortunately I didn't. 

Be moved.
Say Yes to No and No to Yes.
Make the first move.
No one can read your mind
Slow to judge. Quick to lend a hand
You already have what youre looking for
Have More questions than answers
We move forward, because we can’t go back.
Go closer to the source.
Assume nothing.
Tell them what you’re chasing.
Make it face to face
The small things are big things.
The best things come from the hard things.
Say what you mean and mean what you say.
Your attitude determines your altitude.
Sleep exercise and nutrition can solve many poblems.
kindness and courage multiplies. So does greed and fear.
When you stop looking for shortcuts you begin to grow
Slow down to speed up.
Healthy self; heal thy self.
Ask yourself the questions you wish you knew the answers to.
Treat your partner like a guest in your home.
Wave to your fears.
Make it real.
Dream bigger than you've ever dreamed.
Take the smallest steps you possibly can.
Everything is hard before it is easy.

cowgap's picture
cowgap
advice

don't take on too much debt

dont buy a nonessential unless you already have funds for it

Bleep's picture
Bleep
Life advice

Trust in God, but tie your camel. (Persian Proverb)

Serving the powerful is like sleeping with a tiger (Chinese Proverb)

Birds of prey do not sing (German Proverb).  

You do not really know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks (Icelandic Proverb).  

Denial is pushing something out of your awareness. Anything you hide in the basement has a way of burrowing under the house and showing up on the front lawn.

Howard Sasportas

Not moral perfection but the promotion of the rejected complementary attitude is the basis of a religiously stable personality.
Liliane Frey-Rohn

Michael_Rudmin's picture
Michael_Rudmin
What's that last one, bleep?

I read them -- and a few I liked (Sasportas was good).

But the Liliane Frey-Rohnquote I couldn't even understand. Googling the phrase doesn't help; Googling the name tells me she's a wealthy respected scholar in the field of -- I don't know, psych or sociology -- with a pop-author following as well.

But it tells me nothing about the bit of life advice.

Can you rephrase or parse that one? I hate feeling stupid, but it's been a long time since I've tried to hide stupidity in the basement.

Hmm... my father-in-law had a book, "never trust a calm dog"; it had tons of one-liners like this; one that actually is wider than it seems: at a restaurant if the chicken and the steak are the same price, get the chicken. (And I don't suppose that applies to cheesteak subs)

Bleep's picture
Bleep
Shadow

Frey-Rohn is a Jungian and to me it is about the concept of the shadow.  That people striving for moral perfection are not looking at the shadow side of themeselves.  When I ignore my shadow and just focus on the nicer and better sides of myself, the shadow usually comes back to "bite" me in some way or another.  I learned a lot about this concept of the shadow from Robert Bly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=TJSxetC-UDg

Michael_Rudmin's picture
Michael_Rudmin
Had a thought, bleep, do you mean by shadow...

Sometimes you see a compnete reversal of personality, especially among mystics; the gregarious partier (Francis of Assisi) becomes contemplative; the contempletive becomes extremely social; the narcissist (Schindler's List) becomes other-centered; the the other-centered starts writing poetry about love of self.

All the while, not losing their original personality, but displaying a personality they never had.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments