Tool Recommendations For the Prepared Household

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
Whetstones

Finding both a treadle operated griding wheel and a crank operated grinder would be good insurance if you end up in a long term grid down situation.

Simple, easily repaired tools should be the core of your iron age arsenal. Building out from there with complexity assumes a higher division of labor economy than might exist as energy costs climb.

Building up skills with black smithing would provide long term profitable business opportunities. Horses must have hooves shod, etc.

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
Yard art

I saw a perfectly usable horse drawn haying machine as yard art in a rural area. I should probably go back and make an offer. For starters, I could use some yard art.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Techguy

“South of Richmond” , don’t give up any secrets. ;-)

Mohammed Mast's picture
Mohammed Mast
Medical Kit

I think medical supplies of all kinds will be good to have on hand.

This probably belongs on the book thread but I will post it here and someone can repost it if they wish.

I got this book 50 years ago and it is an excellent resource if you find yourself uot in the wilderness. It does list quite a few tools you might wish to have on hand , knife, axe, etc. It is almost 100 years old so some equipment is dated.

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/the_book_of_camping_and_woodcraft...

ex. how to fold a piece of paper (bark) and boil water in it over a fire.

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Class

3 weapons? What is the lprobability? And who is going to come get them during this long emergency?

ifcowsfly's picture
ifcowsfly
Basic tools

Ready: Hammers; claw, an axe, small sledge, large sledge. Pry bars; small and large flat, crows foot bar and a 24 and 36 inch crow bar. saws; large compound miter (10" or better), a 7.25" rip saw, portable table saw, couple size hand saws, bow saw and pruning saw and a very good chain saw. Preferably a Stiel. Drills; Try De Walt cordless. Purchase during Black Friday events. Buy the bag set with full 1/2" torch and impact drill units combined with a demolition saw plus a flashlight, two batteries and a charger. Purchase metal, wood and ceramic bits up to at least 1/2 inch plus wood paddle bits to an 1.5". Buy additional large set of various blades for the demo. saw. Purchase several boxes of tips for the drills including flat, Phillips, torx, square and Allen.

Chisels: Wood and ceramic. Buy a set of each.

Gloves: Lots for hand protection and cold weather work.

Generator: Small portable and powerful.

Hand tools: Buy a Craftsman mechanics set with standard and metric sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers and various drivers i.e. 1/4 , 3/8, and 1/2 inch with extensions.

Ropes, a come a long, extention cords, several step stools and various size step ladders, along with an extention ladder with a stand-off and leg levelers.

A couple levels with one at 6 feet.

A couple squares, a chalk box, lots of builders pencils and markers.

Metal stakes, screws, nails, nuts and bolts, wooden and composite shims, drops cloths, tarps, electrical conduit, switches, outlets, Volt OHM meter, black electrical tape, wire nuts and staples.

This my short list.....If you want the long list.

Call me! 417-425-6000

Thanks, Michael

aggrivated's picture
aggrivated
Gassifier

Speaking of weapons, blowing up things is not always desirable but sometimes helpful.

Wood and/or garbage gassifiers are very useful. Caveat is methane has no natural smell and is quite flammable.

Mankind's real 'advantage' over other organisms boils down to harnessing fire. The knowledge of how do that from setting a fire in the rain to the art of making gun powder would be very useful.

Tycer's picture
Tycer
Oil press for food oil. 

Oil press for food oil. 

richcabot's picture
richcabot
Simple tools

WD40 (or 333).

A fish tape.

Wire brushes, both manual and rotary to fit in an electric drill

Andrewbradnan's picture
Andrewbradnan
Noise

I would just mention that impact drivers are REALLY noisy.  Good way to attract attention.  The cordless drills are more but more useful and quiet.  I doubt there will be any power anyways, but if you have a solar generator by all means....

I'm sure chain saws will also be magnets.  Good suggestion on two man saws.  Never thought of that one.  Splitting is loud even.

ezlxq1949's picture
ezlxq1949
Build community ties

This is a bit off topic but I'll throw it in anyway.

The advice above is turning from recommended tools to survivalist advice. A lot of it looks very North American, or at least Usonian, to my antipodean eyes, revolving around the US cultural norms of rugged independence and self-reliance. There's a distinct sentiment of scattering to the four winds when the substances hit the fan.

I don't know how much of this would work in Australia. We have a long and strong tradition of helping bear one another's burdens (part of the "mateship" ethos) — although this is being steadily eroded by the atomising effects of entrenched neoliberalism. Mateship's utility was proven in the Japanese WW2 concentration camps where the survival rate of Australian and New Zealand troops was far higher than that of the British, Americans or Dutch.

We also have a large and comparatively unfriendly country in which to live. The unfriendliness is largely of European making. The aborigines were managing the entire continent as the world's largest estate, vast, fertile, productive — but when Europeans arrived they wrecked it. Too many sheep (Monbiot uses the splendid term "sheepwrecked"), too many cattle, extractive and destructive land management techniques, rivers and watercourses turned into incised channels, floods produced where none existed before. And so on ad nauseam.

There are precious few hills to head for. There's precious little to hunt. The native animals are not very good for food, although the larger macropods (kangaroos) aren't too bad I am told. No feral ruminants, although people who get thrills from killing animals are illegally establishing herds of some species of deer. Feral pigs exist but are savage and hard to kill. Surface water is comparatively scarce. The rivers are small and unreliable. Excellent, edible native fish are being crowded out by introduced carp which wreck the watercourses yet more. (The CSIRO is on the verge of releasing a carp-killing disease which holds great promise.) The population density is low, most of it being concentrated into five big(gish) cities. Our total population today is what the USA's was in 1850, and in a landmass of equivalent area. Not a lot of infrastructure. Not a lot of outback help. The Royal Flying Doctor Service transformed outback life and has kept who knows how many people alive and well. A black day indeed if we lose that.

No, I think our best hope is to remain in our communities and pull together. I read that during Argentina's collapse in the early 2000s, the government stopped paying most or all of its public servants, especially the police. As one result armed gangs roamed the countryside, attacking and pillaging isolated homesteads. Australia has plenty of isolated homesteads. We do not have a strong weapons tradition.

So thanks to everyone for the advice. Good to gain an idea of what tools might be useful as the long emergency unfolds. Also good to know that many of us will create veritable Aladdin's caves of tools and materials, just waiting for someone to set eyes full of avarice, envy and desperation upon them. "Hey, that guy's using paint! I can smell it. Where did he get that? I need it! I want it!"

My wife and I are fully immersed in creating and building up community ties, with especial emphasis on community gardens, the Canberra City Farm, CSAs, local food production, Slow Food, and the like. As someone rather famous said in a very different context, we all hang together or we all hang separately.

Thetallestmanonearth's picture
Thetallestmanonearth
re: chainsaw

Doug said:"

If you use a chainsaw, get chaps.  They can literally save your life and your ability to function."

I have a 4" scar on my left knee to remind me of this lesson.  I got very very lucky!  I also suggest a good chainsaw helmet with integrated eye protection and ear protection.  These tools are no joke!

msnrochny's picture
msnrochny
Tool Recommendations

Adam -

I’m not certain all these meet the definition of tools, but I was looking for them to be additive to some of the other tools I saw listed.

A two person saw for cutting down trees. B

A log splitter. A

A chain saw. A

A two wheeled tractor. A

A two wheel wheelbarrow. B

A solar generator to power drills, saws, charge batteries, etc. B

A rod welder. A

A heavy duty bolt cutter. B

Oxy-acetylene torch. A

Solar powered flashlights. B

Walkie Talkies, HAM radios. A and B

A rifle, ammunition, cleaning supplies and reloading equipment. A

Fishing poles and tackle. B

Containers to carry and store water. B

Jumper cables, siphoning kit. B

Fire extinguishers. B

Binoculars, some form of night vision. B

A supply of hacksaw blades, sandpaper, drill bits, nails, screws, bolts (standard and metric), acetone. B

A sprayer, a supply of sprays to fight plant disease in your garden, fertilizer. B

Oh!  Lots of duct tape.  :)

fated's picture
fated
Footwear

Quote - 'Add some sturdy footwear to that list.'

If you've ever put a pitchfork tine into your big toe you will know how important good quality footwear is. Even in Summer when it's tempting to garden in thongs (flip flops for those of you in the UK!)

Appriopriate and quality footwear makes such a difference to so many pursuits.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments