Are You Interested In Real-World PP Meet-ups To Increase Your Knowledge Capital?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Are You Interested In Real-World PP Meet-ups To Increase Your Knowledge Capital?

Longtime Peak Prosperity readers are familiar with our 8 Forms Of Capital framework for building resilience into your life. The truly resilient person is rich across all 8 Forms.

Knowledge Capital is arguably one of the most important of these Forms because it's what you use to create value (which you can exchange for other Forms of capital). And it can never be taken from you.

So given that importance, Chris and I have been in the works of designing a series of Knowledge Capital experiences, where Peak Prosperity readers can join us out in the real world to get "hands on" learning of key resilience skills.

And, serendipitously, an opportunity has come along that we think is a good candidate for our first event in this series.

If You Own A Gun, Know How To Use It Safely

The folks at Firearms Training Advocates approached us recently about an intensive 4-day gun safety and training course that they offer. FTA's mission is to increase firearms safety through professional training.

Given record recent gun sales in the US, FTA believes it’s critically important to their own safety and the safety of others, that firearms owners receive professional training. In support of this goal, FTA offers access to world-class firearms training courses in Nevada, outside Las Vegas.

And they've come to us with a 4-day firearms safety package they've put together for Peak Prosperity members. One that Chris and I think looks pretty good.

We both own guns for food procurement and home defense, but we don't train with them as much as we should. And we figure there are lot of other folks like us out there.

So we thought, for PP members who own guns and could benefit from advancing their targeting and safety skills, this would be a good inaugural Knowledge Captial-building excursion.

Here's what FTA has put together for us:

• Dates: Sep 28- Oct 1, 2018
  • Program: 4-Day Defensive Handgun Training
  • Program Costs:
    • Program fee = FREE to PP members (a $2,000 value)
    • Handgun rental = FREE to PP members (a $169 value). You can bring your own gun(s), if you wish.
    • Ammunition = ~$13 per box of 50
    • Background check fee: $50 (this is mandatory)
  • Travel, Meals and Lodging: You'll need to pick these up. FTA is arranging a hotel where we can get a group discount.

We'd all be participating in the same Peak Prosperity group for this long weekend -- we'll train together, eat meals together, and stay at the same hotel.

And we're pretty much getting the handgun training experience for free. You'd just need to get yourself there, and pay for your background check and ammunition, meals and lodging.

Is this something that would interest you?

And even if not, do you like the concept of these Knowledge Capital excursions, where you can join Chris and me to learn new resilience skills? 

What other areas would you like to participate in a Knowledge Capital excursion on? (gardening, home energy efficiency/production, nutrition, community-building, etc)

Please take our 1-minute survey to share your thoughts with us:

And as for this first potential outing, if enough folks are interested in participating, Chris and I will see you out there on the range in September!

cheers,

Adam

robie robinson's picture
robie robinson
Results

Will you post results?

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
Handgun course sounds awesome to me

As one who believes in handguns for personal defense but gets little practice, this sounds awesome.

:-)

I would love to see the other PP guys and gals there, too.

desertrhat's picture
desertrhat
4 Day Defensive Handgun Course

This course is great and really worthwhile. I have taken it twice. It changed my perspective on handguns from something I plink cans with out in the desert with to a tool for self-defense. 

BTW, the best place to stay at in Pahrump when attending classes is the Best Western Pahrump Oasis.  Tell them you are there for a handgun course and they'll give you a room rate discount.

New_Life's picture
New_Life
physical security = good idea

Cautionary tale for anyone who publically shares they own Crypto/Digital Assets/Speculative Instruments...  Same goes for PM's

https://www.cryptoglobe.com/latest/2018/07/two-arrested-after-localbitco...

thc0655's picture
thc0655
See you there!

I’ve been a life member since 2006 and go every year since then. I’m signed up for that weekend. Front Sight training is soooo much better than police training, which sadly is pretty dumbed down. There are very few lodging options available and I agree the Best Western is the best. Tell them you’re there for Front Sight and you’ll get a discount. Make your reservation VERY SOON as they fill up every weekend.

Adam, can my two police buddies and brother in law be included in the PP group?

Id be glad to answer questions for those who are interested, and of course give my enthusiastic endorsement of the quality of the training. BTW I got my wife to come with me for the first time a few years ago. She’s a social worker whose niche has been training social workers. She was nervous about going but after completing the class she said it was the best training she had ever had on any subject in her life.

Tom

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
question about the handgun course

Hey Adam,

If the Best Western fills early, I would like to make reservations promptly.  Let us know as soon as you have a group arrangement, please.

Are we permitted to purchase 1,000 - 2,000 rounds of ammo from a third party and have it shipped to Pahrump for the course?  (This would save a lot of money.)  I understand a 4 day course can chew up some 1K - 2K rounds.  Or is ammo sales a big part of the course's revenue stream?

I have always wanted to take this course and really appreciate that you guys found/developed this opportunity!

thatchmo's picture
thatchmo
I'm gathering this is FTA,

I'm gathering this is FTA, not Front Sight?  

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Good question

What is FTA’s relationship with Front Sight, currently and in the past (is FTA mostly former FS?)? What facilities does FTA use? The photos on their website show students and instructors standing in the desert with no facilities visible. Front Sight has a huge modern facility. Having been taking classes at FS at least once per year since 2006 I’m surprised I’ve never heard of FTA or any competing shooting school in tiny Pahrump, NV. Maybe FTA is a middleman facilitating groups taking a FS class together, eating together, getting the class and gun rental for free, etc.

Jeffleonard90@gmail.com's picture
Great idea!

Can’t make this event but would love to attend a similar event in the future.

Tycer's picture
Tycer
FTA? You mean Front Site? No.

I was  gifted a lifetime membership. I cannot recommend it. If for no other reason, Dr. Ignatius Piazzas’ predatory marketing. Non-stop phone calls for the past 7 years.

The people that teach there are good, although it seems they don’t stay very long. They’re still teaching the Weaver technique which most of the top training outfits have long ago moved away from.

It weirds me out that everything is scripted. Everything. It’s Bizzarre.

If you do go, do not give them your regular phone number, do not give them your regular email address, do not give them your mailing address.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Results so far
robie robinson wrote:

Will you post results?

Robie -

Here are the survey results so far. Pretty much everybody is interested in meetups on all the topics!

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
FTA

Yes, thc: FTA is a middleman facilitator who arranges packages for the FS facility.

In addition to arranging the training at FS, they're arranging bulk lodging, van rentals, etc for this group.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Lodging & Ammo
sand_puppy wrote:

If the Best Western fills early, I would like to make reservations promptly.  Let us know as soon as you have a group arrangement, please.

Are we permitted to purchase 1,000 - 2,000 rounds of ammo from a third party and have it shipped to Pahrump for the course?  

SP -

FTA is arranging group lodging in Silverton, NV, which they say is substantially more pleasant than the options in Parump. It's about a 45 minute drive from the gun range.

They're also arranging van rentals for the group, so we can shuttle back & forth together.

That said, anyone who wants to stay elsewhere and travel separately is free to do so.

As for shipping in your own ammo, I don't see why not. FTA can answer definitively for you. I'll be putting everyone like you who has indicated interest in the event in touch with them later today via email, and you'll be able to ask them all your questions directly.

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Ammo

You'll need 500-600 rounds for the class and the first 7-8 years I went I had my ammo which I bought in bulk shipped to the Best Western and held for me at the front desk.  However, there is now an outside vendor that is on site to sell (and buyback unused) ammo.  You can't beat their prices, unless maybe you live in the local area and drive to the site with your bulk-purchased ammo in your car.  You can carry ammo in your checked luggage but there is a small weight limit (by the airline) and it won't be enough to get you through the 500-600 rounds you'll need.  (You can carry a few pounds of live ammo in your checked luggage as long as you declare it when checking in and have it in it's original boxes.)  I bring ammo not for the class but so I can carry concealed when I'm not in class.

I'm going to stay with my two friends and brother in law in Pahrump, which is a 20-25 minute drive to the facility.  But I'm going to see if FTA can get us on the same range(s) as you guys.

thc0655's picture
thc0655
Piazza is definitely a nut

laughI don't answer my landline and give it out to businesses just for that reason. I check the voice messages and delete what's not interesting (which includes Piazza with his latest "offer" nearly every day).  It's the 2-4 emails/day that amaze me, and I can't put him in spam because then I won't get notified of class information I need.  Apparently, people actually fall for his multitude of "offers," otherwise I don't see how they could stay in business.  When I joined in 2006 after my first class, I suspected a ponzi scheme but figured I'd only need to take 3 more classes to get my money's worth for the membership fee.  And here it is 2018 and I've taken about 15 classes including handgun, shotgun and rifle.  I was planning to take the rifle course again this year but I'm going to take the handgun course so I can be with all you PPers.

I've seen absolutely first time shooters with rented guns go through their 4 day handgun course for the first time and come out as competent as nearly all the police recruits I see who take a 2 week course at the academy.  That's one of the values of the scripting: they are able to stay on schedule and cram in enough material to accomplish an amazing amount in four days. If you're not an experienced, skilled, safe shooter you're going to find that the pace is hectic (but that's good).  Three years ago I got my girly-girl wife to finally come with me and take the four day handgun course.  She went with some trepidation but she was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the instruction, how comfortable they made her feel, how many novice shooters were there, and what she was able to accomplish in such a short period of time.  She's a social worker who has specialized in training social workers, and she remarked that the Front Sight course was the single best training she had ever experienced in her life, on any subject.  That being said, everytime I go I learn something new and improve my skills incrementally.  I could never be an instructor there, though.  I'd get bored out of my mind.  The advanced classes have a script to stay on schedule too, but it's not as tight and allows more freedom and variety.  You have to earn a graduate certificate at the introductory level to move on  to the advanced classes.

Only gun nuts like me and you could even comprehend the debate about the Weaver and isoceles techniques.  For me it's tomawtoes or tomaytoes, unless you aspire to be a world-class competitor.  

mmm357's picture
mmm357
Group Size / Level of Interest

I just signed up, hopefully didn’t miss the boat. Looking forward to meeting some awesome PP members there!

Adam, any sense of the group size yet? just curious. 

-Matt

msnrochny's picture
msnrochny
Good Training

Adam -

I saw this hinted at above, and I’d like to agree that a handgun is not the best way to protect a household.  They are challenging to use under stress, unless you are highly trained.  There’s a reason why new recruits in the army are handed a rifle at the end of boot camp.  They are easy to understand, very accurate, and very deadly.  I’d like to suggest defensive rifle/carbine training over handgun training (although much of the safety training done in a handgun course will be applicable to long guns as well).  There are lots of quality places that provide defensive rifle training.

Mike

thc0655's picture
thc0655
The hostage rescue shot gone wrong

Not to be unfairly critical of the stressed out LA cops in this video, but if you come with us in September and take the Front Sight four day handgun course, most likely you will be able to take this hostage rescue shot without hitting the hostage or expending multiple rounds of poorly aimed ammunition.

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatter/news/video-bodycam-shows-lapd-shoot-both-hostage-and-suspect-Y3FRdHNM1EqIxMFdnb16tg/

Graphic. Sad.  Unnecessary.  YOU can do better, even if you've never shot before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=rV7x1U2iq_Q

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak
Contact Info for FTA?

Does anyone have the contact info for FTA? 

sand_puppy's picture
sand_puppy
FTA contact

SingleSpeak, the email contact is [email protected]--a mailbox set up for our group.

SingleSpeak's picture
SingleSpeak
Thanks Sand_Puppy
sand_puppy wrote:

SingleSpeak, the email contact is [email protected]--a mailbox set up for our group.

SS

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments