Charts on resource depletion?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Snydeman's picture
Snydeman
Charts on resource depletion?

Does anyone have a good chart or headline that illustrates how we have burned through the highest EROEI classes of coal? I'm putting together a presentation and have found everything I need but that...

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
Here's one

Found this chart, though he extrapolates a lot from just two data points:

Same researcher also produced this chart:

The source for these is here

Snydeman's picture
Snydeman
Thank you!

Thank you Adam! I'm putting together a five-minute  presentation to give to the faculty of my school, because I increasingly feel that if we as a school can not be clear with the kids about the challenges they are likely going to face in their near future, then we are failing them as educators. It might cost me in social prestige among my peers, but I no longer care. There is a large enough core of us here who think alike now, so it is time to poke through the illusionary thinking of the rest of us.

Adam Taggart's picture
Adam Taggart
You're welcome

Snydeman --

No thanks necessary. We need more 'awake' and courageous educators like you on the front lines. PP is happy to support you any way we can.

Good luck with the presentation! Hope it opens a few more minds.

cheers,
A

Luke Moffat's picture
Luke Moffat
Hall et al. Coal ERoI

Hi Snydeman,

Sorry, just spotted your thread. Charles A.S. Hall has a decent chart on coal. The thing is, it's the best fossil fuel in terms of ERoI stability (it just isn't liked very much).

Taken from here

Contrast that with gas and oil

In terms of what you're after it might be best to break it down by region. For example, Britain has burned through her highest quality coal (anthracite) whereas countries like Australia probably have a lot of high quality coal left as it wasn't used to fuel the industrial revolution.

All the best,

Luke

Luke Moffat's picture
Luke Moffat
Coal Reserves by Nation

Furthermore,

I think it might be difficult to get exactly what you're looking for. I was hoping that BP statistical review would give coal consumption by type. Unfortunately it doesn't, it just lists total consumption. It does give coal reserves however. I filtered on the top 10

I took the data from the 2016 review though so it's a year old. Blue is the good stuff. Red is the not so good stuff. I'm not sure if it's clear on the chart but overall there is more poor quality than good quality stuff left in the top 10 reserve nations which is never a good thing.

In terms of energy density;

lignite = 28.4 MJ/kg

bituminous = 34 MJ/kg (I averaged that out as it comprises of several grades)

anthracite = 35.3 MJ/kg

Hope that helps

Waterdog14's picture
Waterdog14
Prepping with coal

Thanks for the reminder.  Sourcing and purchasing a clean-burning coal-fired stove is on my list, as we prepare for a lower energy future.  Living near the Anthracite Range, I suppose I'll have to get a horse and wagon to haul some coal home in the next decade.  (Joking, sort of...?)  

CleanEnergyFan's picture
CleanEnergyFan
Would like to see more and different resource decline rates

Good. Question. Snydeman, wished I had had you as a teacher when I was growing up.  This might be worth a podcast or PP feature article to discuss a wide variety of energy source EROEIs as well as other mineral resource decline rates as I have never seen this in a single publication/Prezo. 

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments