This Is £&$%ing Outrageous!!!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
This Is £&$%ing Outrageous!!!

So, you've lost your job, your house is foreclosed and your bankrupt, living on the streets of America. What better chances do you stand to have than by at least the selfless help and support of people giving you hot food to eat??

Watch and Learn :-

Wake Up America...

Paul

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451
Re: This Is £&$%ing Outrageous!!!

...So now you need a damn permit to feed the homeless!!!???

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder
Vanityfox451 wrote:

So, you've lost your job, your house is foreclosed and your bankrupt, living on the streets of America. What better chances do you stand to have than by at least the selfless help and support of people giving you hot food to eat??

Watch and Learn :-

Wake Up America...

Paul

...So now you need a damn permit to feed the homeless!!!???

Well - apparently in Orlando, Florida.

Paul - I agree this is outrageous and sickening. However, please don't tar all of America based on the stupid, stupid actions of one city council in one American state. Frown (You gotta wonder what they're smoking out there - idiots!)

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Sam,

I'm not, but it's the possibility of it happening in any State of America by its very existence In Orlando.

Try this. Get a bus or a train into the centre of your closest city. Carry only your return fare to get home and nothing else - no phone, nothing.  Leave home without breakfast and arrive at 7am with no food and no water. Stay until 7pm that evening. Dress scruffy for maximum effect...

From that experience and within a single day, you'll get to see that city come alive with destitute and hungry people you never noticed before. You never noticed because you always had a destination when you went there before, and you always carried money.

Don't visualise it but actually do it. I guarantee that even the most strong minded and stubborn would have their eyes opened wide. Even when you think you know, the reality from doing this will change all you thought you knew.

I'm sorry, but I'm angry as hell that some button-down beurocrat and a bunch of well fed paper-shufflers not only managed to get this directive past, but that not a single objection to it was placed. Even the very people that were feeding the homeless had to find a way around the law because their voices are so quietened.

The fact that some cop is actually paid to sit with a clipboard and count how many people were served; this is crass.

Rant Over...Sealed

Best,

Paul

jhelge's picture
jhelge

Meanwhile, the banksters recieve trillions of dollars at the public's expense. No laws against handing out pallets of cash to criminals. But as soon as you try to do something decent in this country, wow. My God.... What have we become?

becky's picture
becky

Hi Paul,

Thanks for letting us know about this. What a disgusting thing for Orlando to do (and something to keep an eye on elsewhere). But, I think that the ruling was overturned in Orlando. I just checked the website for the Orlando Food Not Bombs group and they say:

"
Orlando Food Not Bombs was a plantiff in a federal lawsuit, filed in
October 2006, that challenged the constitutionality of the City's
anti-homeless food sharing ordinance which, essentially, banned food
sharings in downtown parks. On Sept. 26, 2008, a federal judge ruled in
favor of Orlando Food Not Bombs and the other plaintiffs in the
lawsuit, and permanently enjoined the City of Orlando from enforcing
the ordinance. "

Thanks,

Becky

Brandon's picture
Brandon

Paul,

This is, in fact, hard to watch.  It is natural for me to immediately try to see the other side of the argument...at least entertain that the thought process behind the law may be reasonable...

...I imagine the argument goes something like this: 

"If it happened to be YOUR backyard that all these people without homes were gathering in, or perhaps in front of YOUR business (and it was harming business), potentially forcing you to lose your livelihood and keep you from supporting your family, or fire a number of your employees, would you still be against a ban on feeding over 25 people?  Would you still be against it if you knew that feeding them was encouraging people to stay, and crime was increasing in your area, possibly (though not surely) as a result? If you were a victim of related crime, would you still be against such a ban?

I pause....I think about it...I digest it...I wrestle with the very real and personal consequences of it...

...then I decide: Yes, I would still be against it...not because I don't see the logic in the law, but because I believe that it does not represent a solution to the problem.  At best, it may make my life (and the lives of a few of those I love) better today at the cost of a less-just tomorrow for everyone.  A difficult decision...one I would not wish upon anyone, and a decision which I would not judge someone based upon, but would fight them vehemently over.

It's the kind of law that makes city council FEEL like they're doing 'something', at a time when many of the members may feel as helpless as many citizens do.  Unfortunately, it's also not surprising due to the loud/influential crowd which sometimes helps move such an agenda.

For me, it is when things like this occur at the local level that really get me down.  It's hard to see people so close to home seem so out of touch, even as I acknowledge the thought process they used to conclude as they did...

...but, we pick ourselves back up, we get involved, we listen to both sides, and we try to make things right, as we see it.

In recent weeks, my family has personally experienced the passage of local laws that only seem to make life harder for those just trying to scrape by...It makes no sense; you just want to scream at the top of your lungs "Don't you people have anything better to do than harass those who are already struggling!!!???..."  We don't want assistance from the gov't...we just want them to stop making our lives more difficult.

...but we pick ourselves up, we get involved, we listen to both sides, and we try to make things right.

Thanks for the post, Paul, as unpleasant as it is. I empathize with your frustration.

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Becky,

Thankyou for checking this out for me. It's a new film placed on You Tube that's filling a column of comments like wild fire. Obviously old news I wasn't able to verify.

At a time when this :-

Tent cities spring up in LA

...is becoming a bigger reality day by day, You can see how my hackles would rise to the bate...

Best,

Paul

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Brandon,

Well written and nicely thought out...

The frustration to me is powered by the continual and unabated interferance with the moral fabric that weaves and holds together community. The more power instilled in bloated government and the less people feel their voice is a requirement, the more choices like this are going to get through on behalf of businesses and financial loss, and not on the individual.

You're so right!

So how come governments in the US are put in power with the bank-roll of corporate business? Surely it would be wiser to broker on behalf of the people? Here again lies the problem set out above with the homeless in the same regard as AIG...

Crazy voiceless world...

Best,

Paul

SamLinder's picture
SamLinder

Paul,

Like the others on this thread, I am sympathetic to your frustration (although I'm not going to dress up as a bum - sorry).

To see this kind of insanity drives all decent people nuts. We can only hope that some sense of reason will ultimately prevail so that the downtrodden in our society are given better treatment than they are in Orlando, FL.

becky's picture
becky

Paul,

It raised my hackles, too. I'm just glad to see that people fought back -- and won.

And, Brandon, I agree with your take on why a city council would do such a thing.

Becky

Vanityfox451's picture
Vanityfox451

Sam,

I've travelled pretty light of cash in my life through some of the most beautiful cities in the world. I've met people that would split a sandwich with you for giving a damn about their plight. I'll split a pack of cigarettes with anyone that sheds light on what a city really is to them and take their story with me for life. It's a rich tapestry that you're never going to find in a five star hotel that looks the same from Bombay to Madrid.

Australia's capital is a massive eye-opener, with the Aboriginal culture eaking out a daily living on scraps while whites see right through them as though they're glass. London has its 'cardboard city', and you don't see that advertised in a glossy holiday brochure. It's a whole counter-culture that's living and breathing in every major city of the globe. If you find the time, forget the fearmongering media bull about drugs, violence and crazies, sit and listen. In a day, I think you'll learn more about yourself than you have already. Right now, with the world going to hell in a handbasket, I'd choose real people like this one :-

Not The Queen's Speech, Brian Haw

This brave man will give you more honest reliable facts than any politician for the price of a cup of coffee. I should know, I had the pleasure of an afternoon with him...

Best,

Paul

britinbe's picture
britinbe

completely outrageous!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Login or Register to post comments