Would You Make Plans for July?
My husband is following the cov19 story somewhat but isn’t really willing to think it could affect him. He has a phone appointment today to discuss a workshop on earthbag building methods that he has already committed to teaching July 8 to 18 in a small town in southern Colorado (Crestone), where we lived for 20+years. It’s a day and a half drive from where we live now in southern NM. He will be staying at the home of people we know, who generally have a lot of people coming and going.
I can stay home here in southern New Mexico with our pets or we could find someone to care for them and I could go with him. I don’t have to decide soon. Cov19 aside, I’m writing a book (memoirs about being the daughter of science fiction writer Cordwainer Smith) and might rather stay here in any case.
These kinds of decisions must be facing many of us. Thoughts about how you are handling them? Thanks!
The only travel plan I am making is the one to my bugout location, and I suspect that it is only a matter of weeks before I’ll make that trip. When panic food buying begins, or when localized quarantines become daily news events in the US, that’s when I’ll hit the road. I’m not terribly concerned about being killed by the virus, as the death rate is pretty low. But I’m terrified of an unprepared populace who only have enough food, supplies and medicine to last a couple weeks.
Well, my husband Kelly talked with the woman putting on the event. She’s a nurse and knew about coronavirus. She and Kelly agreed to be flexible about what they do, so that is a relief.
We don’t have a bug out location and plan to bug in here at home.
This really mucks up planning for the future, doesn’t it? I gave Air bnb hosting a try last summer and found it was an extremely easy way to make good money….something I have sorely needed the last few years. I was very much looking forward to making that money again this up coming summer! My house is close to Banff, Alberta, which is a popular international destination. Now I’m second guessing this plan, which is really frustrating. I already have bookings and the Air bnb people give harsh punishments if hosts cancel. For now I have blocked off the calendar until July, just to see where this situation is headed. I’m really not comfortable with the idea of cleaning up after infected people!
My more immediate concern is that I am supposed to head over the Hawaii in two weeks! We know at least one case was found there, and now we know that they do not have working test kits. My friends have pressured me into not canceling. I feel insane….
My wife and I decided to postpone our plans to travel to the UK in July.
It isn’t the virus so much as what people can do when they panic. We don’t want to be stranded away from home in that situation.
What can it hurt to wait and see how it develops?
Sschucow, I’m with you. I’m glad my husband has agreed to be flexible.
I would encourage you to continue to monitor the situation. There’s no point fretting about the future when the present is all we know about for certain. Maybe reassess on June 30th and make a final decision then?
Since 2008. No need for hussle at airports, no idiot prices, and most important: at home we have everything we need without searching for it.
Thanks, everyone. Now that my husband has agreed to be flexible, I’m more at ease.
I too use AirBNB and VRBO for sorely needed income from rental of my beach condo. I put an extremely high rate on it beginning on May 1. So, it is booked solid through the end of April and beyond that, nothing.
Now, I want to evacuate my city home in Atlanta and self isolate at the beach where it is much less risky. However, I can’t do that until May. Guess I’m stuck in this congested downtown condominium until then.
All stocked-up, staying inside and relearning my hand washing and face touching habits. Hopefully we will not be locked-down prior to May 1.