To Surgery or NOT To Surgery.. that is the question
My hubby wants to get optional surgery right now and given we can’t really trust any data, is right now the right time to squeeze surgery in. It’s elective and it is revision work but he’s not in dire need. We are thinking since Covid numbers appear to be lower now than in Winter, better now to do it? Still on the fence. Doc won’t accept him taking HCQ prophylaxis given he has to go under and it might affect how be bleeds from surgery. What say you? Would you do it? When would be the right time if you wouldn’t. Any advice is very welcomed!
For the 40 years I practiced surgery (statistically a high volume practice and statistically lower than expected complication rate) Hcq would not have entered into a decision balance. People however routinely did not tell the whole truth about their medications, behaviour, or weaknesses, (often amusing on occasion, when being asked again, in an oddball way).
sounds like that would be self-defeating to not reveal the truth about meds.
So would you recommend doing the surgery right now?
My guess is if he taking HCQ prophylactically, its probably a small dose. The risk of bleeding is low. I do not too many elective surgeries that would be very bloody. But there is always a risk. Bleeding risk is an individual genetic disposition.. I know some families including mine that half the deaths are caused by bleeds.. and i have genetics that have been associated with sensitivity to blood thinners. And I know other individuals that seem to clot up very easy. The prudent thing to do before surgery is suspend thinning meds even aspirin. So, yes off the HCQ in my opinion.
I would not go for elective surgery now. I am sure there are people in and out of the hospital that avoid COVID. But it certainly is a risk. Again the operative word is elective. Only your husband can assess the risk/reward for doing this now.
My guess is you can take the approach, you can do all you can to avoid Sars Cov2 , but you can’t necessarily paint yourself out of life and to a rubber room on a what if.. The idea here is to minimize risk , there is no way to 1000 % avoid it. Just keep that in mind.
Thanks for the tip… very good perspective!
I’m in Wales (Great Britain) and we’ve just had to close 2 wards on a local hospital in Llantrisant (just a few miles away) because the hospital had an uncontrolled outbreak of covid. They knew last week there were cases in the hospital and said then that they had it under control, but obviously something leaked out. The health board said there were 82 Covid-19 cases at the hospital and 60 of those were from infections caught at the hospital.
I would not be going anywhere near a hospital right now. If I went in and subsequently tested positive for covid, my health care would be out of my control. At home I can get the various things I need to successfully treat, but in hospital this would be impossible and obstructed. In a country that charges for hospital stays, a prolonged stay could become ridiculously expensive (especially if they know you have the funds to pay).
Your post doesn’t say what timeframe you have to work with – whether this surgery will become pressing if it’s left.
Is there some way to test for T-cell immunity before he goes in?
TG43, this is great info…
I wouldn’t even know where to test for Tcell immunity 🙁
His surgery is not pressing but the question is, when is really the ideal time he can actually do the surgery… we are going into winter here and once we do I anticipate we will look similar to your region. It starting to feel like this will never end………………
Well the virus isn’t going away. There’s a lull at our hospital system and at our daughter’s. Treatment protocols are working pretty good. Vaccines are not a magic bullet. A hiccup in social order or an uptick in hospitalizations or an economic fail could perhaps reduce the possibility of having the surgery or make it unaffordable. Is this an investment in DHs well being?
Tycer, that is a great point.
His foot doesn’t work well and has lost 30% mobility so it is a big deal. The question is whether we should or shouldn’t delay. It is very difficult to make the right decision given surgery centers are following check-boxed based safety measures but we all know that is not enough… so difficult.
If you have a low infection rate in your community, for a foot thing, I would go ahead.
The thing is, you need to be prepared to be his strong medical advocate. Bring him supplements in the hospital if need be, get the doctor’s OK beforehand. Do not let him go to a rehab. center, be ready to care for him professionally at home. Quick in, quick out.
I am not a doctor, but common sense tells me things are only going to get more chaotic and as long as you have the facilities, drugs and electricity you need, get ‘er done.