Job is requesting vaccination status
This morning I got an email at work essentially saying they are going to begin collecting data and doing a vaccination rollout for all employees to see their vaccination status (essentially: single dose, both doses, neither, prefer not to say). I haven’t received any vaccines, and I had covid already about a month ago. I’m extremely concerned that, if I tell the truth, I’ll face some stupid and horrible consequences…and I just started this job in late July and I really would like to keep it.
So, this is kind of bad, but I don’t regret this: when I got hired, I essentially told them I was vaccinated, and they never asked about it again. I lied. I thought it was smart at the time, because clearly they were ok with hiring me and it didn’t matter what my stupid vaccination status was. Now they’re going to think differently of me, probably. I guess because of the mandate, and they’re a fairly large company, now they’re finding they have to report on this data.
Here’s another thing: due to some connections, I actually own a vaccine card. Technically, according to the card, I have BOTH shots, as of April and May. Yes, I realize this is kind of wrong, but I refuse to take the shots. I’m not going to.
The problem is, if I provide them with pictures of my vaccination card (which they want), will this come crawling back to the person that filled it out for me, even though I did not get the vaccine in my body?
What are my options? What could the consequences be? I don’t want to get anyone in trouble, but I do NOT, above everything else, want to put this crap in my body just for a job.
I appreciate you all. Thank you!
Technically, you dont need to give medical data by law. But they didnt request it at time of hire. though, you offered information in a statement – that can be the problem. I would stick to the lie and say you are vaccinated. and that be the end of it.
F them if they dont like it.
I do believe employers have the right to medical information if it has an effect on the job performance – for instance airline pilot may need an eye exam and pysch test , stress test , cardiac test etc. But whether you have HIV, does not effect your performance and is not applicable. If you have a job that you will interact with people who have weak immunity or are elderly , I would think they can insist you are vaccinated. However, otherwise, its none of their business.
I figure the problem will be documenting the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. boosters. Or if they start demanding electronic verification. I assume the requirements will become more sophisticated over time unless the mandates go away. Consequences might depend on their ability to confirm the information, which I suspect varies depending on the shot provider. You indicated they might be able to trace it back to the person who gave you the card – that may be the week point. Good luck!
my job is doing the same thing. I wont be replying. They can f**k off. Its private medical info. If they give me the excuse it will effect my job performance or others PROVE IT. Im already past the due date deadline and they never notified me to reply. but if they do i plan on ignoring them. If they have a problem with it they can come tell me in person. Other wise “I’m Busy and behind on emails” . If they don’t like that to hell with them…. fire me.
Yes, my workplace, too. Thankfully, one of those choices is “decline to say”, which I chose. My health information is protected by law, even if the government forces an employer to break that.
You can get in a lot of trouble. Just google it. Lots of stories about the FBI threatening prison time. There are also fines – though I can’t find any actual figures on that.
I am in a similar situation (got COVID in May, it was no big deal because I’m a healthy 30-something, now I don’t want a shot that adds 36 minutes to my life expectancy assuming no risks at all). My employer started asking for vaxx status a few weeks ago, even prior to the mandate through OSHA. Here’s what I plan to do:
1) Stall as long as possible and don’t tell them anything.
2) When they ask why I am not telling them, say that I think it’s inappropriate for the people managing my health insurance to know my medical information.
3) When they finally ask me point blank and make me admit I am not vaccinated, point out that I am not a transmission risk and give my positive PCR test from May and positive IgG test ($25 at HyVee) from last week as proof. This won’t help HR with OSHA, but may help with my boss and other people who have to pretend to care about the science.
4) Take the testing option as long as it’s still available. Currently my employer is saying they will allow us to show negative tests twice a week once OSHA rules go into effect.
5) If/when the testing loophole finally gets closed, tell my manager that I’m not super interested in getting the vaccine and if he has to fire me, I understand. But also, someone is going to have to do all of the work I’m doing now, and why not make it a contractor position that is… ahem… not under the same requirements. That seems a lot cheaper and less risky than having to go through the hiring process, doesn’t it?
6) And all the while you can bet I am polishing up my resume and LinkedIn profile.
Between all of these things I think I’ll be fine. HTH.
Thank you all for your responses so far. My takeaways:
1) Guess I won’t be using my card. Thanks for telling me about the FBI. I was kind of hoping they wouldn’t care to look up whatever it is they look up. I mean, honestly, mine really does look genuine, but if you go snooping or something and call the place that it was retrieved from – if you’re THAT desperate to ruins somebody’s life – then yeah, I suspect I will have problems.
2) Thankfully, I actually did not fill it out yet; I haven’t provided them any written information. But, I think people will be expected to fill it out by this Friday.
3) I have no contact with older people, nor do I think it would affect my job performance, as I basically sit in front of a computer all day. (side note: this crap makes me so mad, I don’t think I’ve ever felt my face get red out of anger until today – we’re expected to be vaccinated but you could easily just let us keep our jobs and do our work and stay home! Unbelievable)
4) I will likely stall. I am guessing I shouldn’t fill out the form? What do you think happens if I simply don’t provide them information? With this, I am super concerned, because isn’t there a thing that says, if an employee comes to work and isn’t vaccinated, the company gets charged $14,000 per person per day. If true, that almost ensures that anybody not vaccinated will get the boot. (again, red-faced anger – they just can’t have people succeeding anymore, can they. I like my job. I keep to myself. I don’t bother anyone – ever. Why do I have to get punished for choosing to do something else?)
The more I read, write, and talk about this stuff, it makes me so mad. It’s being made to be a choice between your health and your livelihood. This is so, so wrong and I don’t want to suffer for trying to look out for my own health. I know you guys know what the vaccinations can do to people. I know what they can do to people. And we’re supposed to just take it and either let it screw with our bodies, or basically have no livelihood.
If you don’t require invasive background checks or polygraphs for your work, then you can probably get by with attesting whatever you want and nobody will be the wiser. It’s none of their business anyway.
If you’re just facing Biden’s “companies over 100 employees” mandate, hold the line. That will ultimately be destroyed in court. He’ll probably get away with Fed employees and contractors though. It’s so disgusting.
Be careful with that card though. Big fines.
Quit your job! It’s NOT worth the risk. Do you follow Geert Vanden Bossche’s work? Here, read this post:
In his prognostication, which by the way has been coming true by the month, the virus will have developed COMPLETE resistance to the vaccines possibly before the end of this year, but almost certainly before the end of next year.
Do you really want to be stuck with the permanent changes which the vaccine – which will soon turn out to be an absolutely worthless product – will inflict on your body? And remember you will NOT be able to get another vaccine after this. Your body’s immune system will recall the response induced by the first vaccine. Also, this vaccine will prime the body to mount a SUB-OPTIMAL immune response. Immune defenses will target the spike protein exclusively, rather than having multiple immune-response cells attacking various aspects of the virus. In other words, you’re suppressing your body’s 50cal machine guns, bazookas, tanks and missiles, and arming it instead with pistols. You are essentially WEAKENING your overall immune system against future variants.
Eventually, the authorities and general public WILL come to the realization that this whole thing was one gigantic mistake. That will probably be well before the end of next year. Can you hold out till then without a job? By that time, there won’t be any vaccine Nazism, just seething public anger and backlash. Then the pressure will be released and you will be able to find a job again without the vaccine.
Let me know what you think. Begin your reply with @shox so that I know you’re addressing me.