As of right now, there is a facebook group: Fans of Chris Martenson’s Crash Course.
The sole admin/creator is Michael Maughan. I’ve no idea who he is, if he’s part of the brigade, etc… There’s only 12 people in the group. So, the question is, are we going to use this as our starting point for facebook exposure, or is there going to be something like "The Official Crash Course Group" created? I know Chris has a facebook, and i’m wondering if he should be the one to create such a group (or Lucas, being the brigade manager ). Hopefully we can start off by establishing a presence on facebook and myspace in these next few days.
I don’t think we’ll use this as our official Facebook presenece. I agree that we need to get something up on Facebook soon. I’d also like to do a MySpace page.
I will post an official "Announcement", but I’ll ask here too: Is there anyone interested (including you, Futuo) who would be interested in setting up and administering "officially endorsed" ChrisMartenson Facebook & Myspace accounts? They will need to be professionally designed and convey the overal message of the Crash Course. Also, Chris will have ultimate veto power over any of the content.
Let me know.
Hi Lucas – setting up a facebook group for the Crash Course is very simple, and I am happy to do it. But there are some questions about what the content should be.
- The name of the group – this could be just ‘The Crash Course’ or maybe something longer like ‘The Crash Course – PeakProsperity.com’?
- There is some basic info required about the group, specifically the type which allows the group to be searched under certain criteria (This might best be: ‘Common Interest – Current Events’), plus a written description which can be as long or as short as desired.
- A picture is requested – this could maybe be the ‘PeakProsperity.com’ logo on his site (I would need this in a file format), or maybe whatever the artwork is going to be for the DVD.
- There are many other criteria that can be filled in, but probably for this group the best thing would be to just have a link to Chris’s page.
- There are other options that maybe require discussion about whether they are allowed, or how (disscussion board, ‘wall’, ability to post notes and videos,etc.). It probably would even be possible to post the whole crash course on facebook, but it would probably be better to just have the link to Chris’s page.
Of course it may be easiest (if you are on facebook) to become an officer of the group which allows you to easily change the content of the group. A group can have several officers also, so if you or Chris wanted to be the first officer of the group, myself and others could be officers also to monitor the group/discussion board/wall, etc. Or to put news postings on it (for example if a new Martenson report is ready this could be posted so members on facebook are notified).
Here are my thoughts on your questions:
1. I think it would be best if we just made it "PeakProsperity.com". We can then put info in the page about the Crash Course, etc.
2. What are all of the categories for this?
3. Best way to do it would be just to download the images from the website. That’s what I’ve been doing for the YouTube channel. If there any specific files that can’t be gotten from the page, I can probably get them for you. Just send me an email for any file requests. Either Chris’ picture or the logo would probably be good. A background with the logo (see YouTube channel) may also be appropriate.
4. A link to PeakProsperity.com as well as a link to the YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/ChrisMartensondotcom plus links to any other social networking pages that we create.
5. I don’t see any problems having most options available. We want to have as open of a community as possible. Once the main features are set up, I’ll review with comments/changes.
I would like to be an officer. Ron Shimshock may also want to be an officer as he is Chris’ webmaster. Please provide username and password to me in an email (not here!)
I’d be happy to help administer a facebook group page along with Kevin. I think he covered most of the necessities in terms of setting it up. The Group Type categories are: Business, Common Interest, Entertainment & Arts, Geography, Internet & Technology, Just for Fun, Music, Organizations, Sports & Recreation, Student Groups. Each "type" has about 8-20 "subtypes" (i.e. Business – Investing) to choose from.
Concerning MySpace… I haven’t been on that site for about four years, and I know it’s changed a lot. I probably could put a page together if necessary, but if anyone else out there has recent experience, that would probably be preferable.
That’s great! Why don’t you guys interface and set up administrative privileges, etc. I will also sign up and get added as an admin shortly. I recommend doing most of your planning and discussion in the Project & Special Event Planning folder.
Sounds like there are a lot of options as far as categories to choose from. I’m open to suggestions on that and I’ll also log on and let you know what I think.
For now, it might be prudent for you two to focus on Facebook and if someone else volunteers to do MySpace, we’ll utilize their help for that. Once Facebook is squared away, and you and Kevin are willing, you could then tackle MySpace if nothing has been done on it by then. Eventually, I would like to integrate everyone who emerges for social networking activities into a unified team
What about promotion for the ‘Facebook page? We’ll list it on CM.com, but Facebook is mainly word of mouth so we will need to think about that as well.
I’m really excited that this has emerged so quickly! I can’t wait to see how it turns out.
Kevin’s got the group up and running – with permission, I think it’s time we let everyone on the public forums know about the group so that we can work on expanding and spreading the word! If there’s any need or interest for it, we could make a "secret" group primarily for the brigade and cmartenson team, but with these boards that probably isn’t necessary. Anyway, Luc is it alright if i make a thread (and have it stickied) under the general information forum for the facebook group? I figured we could call it "social networking" or something like that, and just continually update/add new cites where we have a presence.
Also, I know that lots of organizations have little icons of the social networking cites that they’re on as links in a sidebar…i’m not sure if anyone knows what i’m talking about, but basically it’s a panel of tiny little icons for myspace, facebook, etc… which, when clicked, take the user to that network’s page specific to the organization/cite you’re coming from. For example, check out the "Barack Everywhere" box on the right side of http://www.barackobama.com/index.php That could be a very handy tool to make as a sidebar here, to get rank-and-file Martensonians involved in what may be a more comfortable and familiar environment. No idea how to implement that, though 😛
Something else to consider: a fan page. That’s what the facebook link from Obama’s page takes you to: http://presby.facebook.com/barackobama?q=barackobama&ref=ts
This could be another helpful resource. I looked into creating a fan page, and there are three options. Artist, Band, or Public Figure; Brand or Product (includes Services); or Local (business/service provider). Just another facebook option to consider. The only stipulation to the creation of a fan page is: "Note: Only an official representative of a brand,
organization, or person is permitted to create a Facebook Page for that
subject. Fake Pages and unofficial "fan pages" are a violation of our
in any way, your Facebook account may be disabled." So, i’m not sure what that means about who would have to be the person to create it, but we need an "official representative". That’s about it =]
Before we go public with it, I’d like Erik and Chris to review it first and give it their blessing. Let me get ahold of them so they can sign off on it.
Great work, by the way. You guys work fast!
Sounds good! And yeah, on a day off of school I can only spend so much time writing college application essays…