Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Workshop
The Eastern Massachusetts ARRL is giving a Zoom workshop on the use of amateur radio in emergency situations.
Recordings of the meetings will be posted online after the entire workshop series is completed.
Thank you boomer41
From the cited website, it seems that the zoom meetings are mostly for people who already are licensed in amateur radio. Perhaps you can summarize which of the zooms are of most interest for newbies.
On June 24 Thursday prior to the Polyface event just West of Richmond where some of us are camping out, at least 3 amateur radio guys will be available to show basics of how to receive radio signals, basics of antennas, how to connect to internet via amateur radio etc. I hope to give a demonstration of software defined radio using a small box that connects to a laptop, and a simple private off grid text communication system called “meshtastic.” All are welcome to join us Thursday and Thursday overnight prior to getting up early and driving to Polyface the next morning.
If you want to come and have not yet emailed me or Michael, our host, please send me a PM.
Much unused bandwidth, and informal skeds. (A bit heavy on the batteries, though.)
A recent low cost solution that I purchased for information gathering:
1) SDRPLAY RSPdx, ($199) hamradio.com
2) MLA-30 Loop Antenna Active Receiving Antenna 100kHz – 30MHz for Short Wave Radio, form Amazon ($50)
3) Vertical antenna 10m-23cm discone, UHF, from Gigaparts.com ($100)
4) Compatible with Yaesu Handheld to PL259 Cable ($10) Amazon
5) CB Coax Cable, CB Antenna Cable, 20ft RG8x Coaxial Cable RFAdapter UHF Male to Male Low Loss ($19) Amazon
6) Tripp Lite USB 2.0 Hi-Speed A/B Cable with Ferrite Chokes ($6) Amazon
And of course the PC laptop of your choice.
Receiver and power for loop antenna:
Free SDRuno software:
Your post got some serious info that I could not be find anywhere else on the internet though but I must say that you can also search the product with https://productz.com/en/brondi-amico-radio/p/Go8PV online in term of finding the best Amico radio that function so well for the editing and catch every frequency