Investing in Precious Metals 101 Ad

advise – employment and moving

Login or register to post comments Last Post 1667 reads   6 posts
  • Wed, Mar 03, 2010 - 07:01pm

    #1

    cipher

    Status Member (Offline)

    Joined: Jun 19 2009

    Posts: 10

    count placeholder

    advise – employment and moving

I wanted to ask the community here a question of personal choice about an employment decision. I don’t have other people around me that would take the the grave circumstances we are in into account while making decisions, so I wanted to get some views on whether I am right. 

CURRENTLY:

1. Job: Transportation Engineer, Part Time and temporary basis, no job security. ( I will be the first one to go in event of lack of work in my group)

2. On work visa, home country: India : would have to leave US in 2 weeks of loosing job, if I can’t find another one.

3. No luck in finding a job in US (trying since 2.5 months now), but found a job in India.

I have 2 options:

1. I can continue working for my current employer and ask them to tell me for sure if they are willing to offer me a permanent position in next 2-3 weeks, (I moved to a different group recently avoiding my job termination, for lack of work, in same firm which has some work for me currently, but no future guarantees). Risks:

a. I am not sure if even they would agree to it, but if they do, they would, at stretch, have plans for about 8-10 months, after which I will potentially be in same situation. But if they do offer me a permanent position, then I would have a choice! (so it would seem for now!)

b. I am inclined to believe that with budget deficits, and recent DOT forloughs, there will be enough work.

c. I was earlier hoping that my fiance would find job in architecture when she graduates this december, in same city, but now; this assumption seems to be a weak one.

d. If things get ugly, I have no support system here and it might get really bad for immigrants !!

e. If I can keep this job until december 2011, I am anyways planning to move back, this option gives me more time, but I am not sure that I can rely on this job until then!

The other option I have is to pack bags and start career in India, benefits/losses are:

a. I would not even earn as much as I can save and send to India when I work in US. currently I am sending everything in India as I get it.

b. But I would have career to look forward (atleast a few years, until we run out of black gold)

c. I would be able to start prepping for the future like many are doing on this forum.

d. I will get an opportunity to work with very good company which I may not get otherwise.

I am inclined towards moving to India regardless I get this permanent position or not. But people advise me to stay longer in US and go later as I had planned to.

I am at a situation where I already have looked for job and found one in India, I can go eitherways. So what do you guys think?

Regards

mayank

[Ed. note: Edited to insert full text of question]

  • Wed, Mar 03, 2010 - 07:54pm

    #2
    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Status Bronze Member (Offline)

    Joined: Oct 31 2017

    Posts: 1612

    count placeholder

    Re: advise – employment and moving

It would help if you actually asked your question.

  • Wed, Mar 03, 2010 - 07:56pm

    #3
    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Status Bronze Member (Offline)

    Joined: Oct 31 2017

    Posts: 1612

    count placeholder

    Re: advise – employment and moving

Yes I would.

  • Thu, Mar 04, 2010 - 01:33am

    #4
    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Status Bronze Member (Offline)

    Joined: Oct 31 2017

    Posts: 1612

    count placeholder

    Re: advise – employment and moving

I am sorry guys, I was preparing a draft for this post, so that I could put it in less words and didn’t realize that I had posted it, anyways here’s my question:

[Ed. note: Inserted above]

  • Thu, Mar 04, 2010 - 02:12am

    #5
    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Status Bronze Member (Offline)

    Joined: Oct 31 2017

    Posts: 1612

    count placeholder

    Re: advise – employment and moving

mayank –

If I understand your situation as laid out in your post, it seems like the reasonable course of action is to wait.  If you get the permanent position offered within the next 2-3 weeks, you have a little more time to make more money to send back to India.  If things don’t work out over the next 8-10 months (or through Dec 2011), you can always fall back on your plans to go back to India.

So, give it 2-3 weeks and hope you get the offer to stay on.  And keep looking for another job – if you get one, you have more options.

I wouldn’t worry about lack of a support system if things get ugly – you have a support system right here on CM.com!

Keep us updated on how things work out for you.

  • Thu, Mar 04, 2010 - 02:54am

    #6
    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Peak Prosperity Admin

    Status Bronze Member (Offline)

    Joined: Oct 31 2017

    Posts: 1612

    count placeholder

    Re: advise – employment and moving

[quote=Dogs_In_A_Pile]

mayank –

If I understand your situation as laid out in your post, it seems like the reasonable course of action is to wait.  If you get the permanent position offered within the next 2-3 weeks, you have a little more time to make more money to send back to India.  If things don’t work out over the next 8-10 months (or through Dec 2011), you can always fall back on your plans to go back to India.

So, give it 2-3 weeks and hope you get the offer to stay on.  And keep looking for another job – if you get one, you have more options.

I wouldn’t worry about lack of a support system if things get ugly – you have a support system right here on CM.com!

Keep us updated on how things work out for you.

[/quote]+1.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Login or Register to post comments